NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:06 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 78  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:47 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
While the Horizon expanding with NKU, IUPUI, and IPFW would seem like a logical move to us the Horizon must not see any upside for those Indiana schools since they aren't very competitive ans/or Valparaiso is blocking it. Also, Horizon expansion could leave a lot of blood on their hands-- the A-Sun is on shaky terms and at risk at falling below the NCAA minimum and hitting the Summit would surely force a Summit/WAC merger.

NKU is the only logical team the HL could add from the WAC/Summit/ASC that won't cause the conf. losing a school to ask for a waiver. Summit & WAC have 8 w each having a provisional school, so does the ASC but NKU is the school so they'd still have the 7 counters needed.

I get what you're saying but if the Horizon takes NKU and the Big South takes K St then the A- Sun would also need a waiver and where NKU could bring them within the NCAA limit, not having NKU would mean it would take at least 2 more yrs before any future d2 upgrades would count onwards their 7.

Yes very true or if they take USCU. More to my point of 1 conf doesn't give a sh*t about another. accseahawk thinks that the Big SOuth will sit at 11 so if his scenario went down my last post would work. I hope that the HL goes to 10 and that the BSC gets back to 12. Don't forget CAA has 10 and is still looking, SBC has 11 and still looking. BE has 10 and is still looking more dominoes to come.

I don't think the Big South really cares about the ASun, its just that it benefits the Big South to keep them alive. The same applies for the Horizon. Why killl off the Summit or ASun when you can use it as a proving ground. The Horizon clearly is open to UNK, but why take the risk they flame out when you can grab them after their transition and after they have had a chance to prove themselves. I agree the Horizon has no interest in the IUPU duo which is great for the Summit. I think the Horizon gets back to 10 once UNK proves themselves at the D1 level. The Summit needs to identify potential upgrades. They and the ASun are in the same boat and need to get upgrades in before its too late.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:22 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

accseahawk wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
While the Horizon expanding with NKU, IUPUI, and IPFW would seem like a logical move to us the Horizon must not see any upside for those Indiana schools since they aren't very competitive ans/or Valparaiso is blocking it. Also, Horizon expansion could leave a lot of blood on their hands-- the A-Sun is on shaky terms and at risk at falling below the NCAA minimum and hitting the Summit would surely force a Summit/WAC merger.

NKU is the only logical team the HL could add from the WAC/Summit/ASC that won't cause the conf. losing a school to ask for a waiver. Summit & WAC have 8 w each having a provisional school, so does the ASC but NKU is the school so they'd still have the 7 counters needed.

I get what you're saying but if the Horizon takes NKU and the Big South takes K St then the A- Sun would also need a waiver and where NKU could bring them within the NCAA limit, not having NKU would mean it would take at least 2 more yrs before any future d2 upgrades would count onwards their 7.

Yes very true or if they take USCU. More to my point of 1 conf doesn't give a sh*t about another. accseahawk thinks that the Big SOuth will sit at 11 so if his scenario went down my last post would work. I hope that the HL goes to 10 and that the BSC gets back to 12. Don't forget CAA has 10 and is still looking, SBC has 11 and still looking. BE has 10 and is still looking more dominoes to come.

I don't think the Big South really cares about the ASun, its just that it benefits the Big South to keep them alive. The same applies for the Horizon. Why killl off the Summit or ASun when you can use it as a proving ground. The Horizon clearly is open to UNK, but why take the risk they flame out when you can grab them after their transition and after they have had a chance to prove themselves. I agree the Horizon has no interest in the IUPU duo which is great for the Summit. I think the Horizon gets back to 10 once UNK proves themselves at the D1 level. The Summit needs to identify potential upgrades. They and the ASun are in the same boat and need to get upgrades in before its too late.

Good points all around. I'm glad that the CAA came up--they are clearly on he prowl for 2 more but I think their expansion is going to be at the expense of the AEC and subsequently the NEC.

I also agree with the point about the Horizon taking a wait and see approach with NKU--why bring them in too early and share the Butler NCAA money with them if they are not in eminent need of members? It really only only leaves Wright St inconvenienced as they have no one to partner with for travel.

I also like the idea of the Big South using the A-Sun as a feeder league and source for football affiliates--the A-Sun needs members in the Deep South, the Big South needs football affiliates, and the Gulf South has some solid programs that would like to move up and need a football home. Those Gulf South schools would be very competitive in Big South football and likely be competing for titles very quickly.

As for the Summit--that's a real mess. The only schools in the region capable and potentially interested in Summit League membership all would need football homes and the Dakota schools and WIU are not going to entertain the idea of leaving the MVFC to start Summit football. If the Summit isn't careful they could find the Indiana schools defecting to the A-Sun--think about it, the A-Sun needs members who have completed their DII to DI transition and the Indiana schools meet that criteria. Sure it would ake the A-Sun a step away from the goal of solidifying a concise geographic footprint but it is a possibility. I'm sure the Indiana schools would rather travel to Florida twice each winter than destinations in the Dakotas, Omaha, and Denver.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:33 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

fighting muskie wrote:
accseahawk wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

Good points all around. I'm glad that the CAA came up--they are clearly on he prowl for 2 more but I think their expansion is going to be at the expense of the AEC and subsequently the NEC.

I also agree with the point about the Horizon taking a wait and see approach with NKU--why bring them in too early and share the Butler NCAA money with them if they are not in eminent need of members? It really only only leaves Wright St inconvenienced as they have no one to partner with for travel.

I also like the idea of the Big South using the A-Sun as a feeder league and source for football affiliates--the A-Sun needs members in the Deep South, the Big South needs football affiliates, and the Gulf South has some solid programs that would like to move up and need a football home. Those Gulf South schools would be very competitive in Big South football and likely be competing for titles very quickly.

As for the Summit--that's a real mess. The only schools in the region capable and potentially interested in Summit League membership all would need football homes and the Dakota schools and WIU are not going to entertain the idea of leaving the MVFC to start Summit football. If the Summit isn't careful they could find the Indiana schools defecting to the A-Sun--think about it, the A-Sun needs members who have completed their DII to DI transition and the Indiana schools meet that criteria. Sure it would ake the A-Sun a step away from the goal of solidifying a concise geographic footprint but it is a possibility. I'm sure the Indiana schools would rather travel to Florida twice each winter than destinations in the Dakotas, Omaha, and Denver.

The ASun could really use the IUPUI's short term. Long term, they might end up being an inconvenience, particularly if UNK goes to the Horizon and the Asun want to make the deep south their territory using D2 upgrades

I do like the idea though and it could work well
IUPUI, IUPUFW, UNK, Lipcscomb, USC Upstate, D2 Upgrade
K State, UNF, Jacksonville, FGCU, Stetson, D2 Upgrade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:44 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The A-Sun is walking a very fine line membership wise--its either approach the IUPU's now or grab the best 4 Gulf South schools and hope that they reach eligibility before the NCAA's 2 yr grace is up (that's assuming they lose a school or schools that would put them under.) Either way, I think that for the A-Sun to have a healthy future I think they need those DII upgrades.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:55 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
The A-Sun is walking a very fine line membership wise--its either approach the IUPU's now or grab the best 4 Gulf South schools and hope that they reach eligibility before the NCAA's 2 yr grace is up (that's assuming they lose a school or schools that would put them under.) Either way, I think that for the A-Sun to have a healthy future I think they need those DII upgrades.

I can't believe UNA and the A-Sun/Big South fb haven't got together yet. THey're already a go for D-I just need a home.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Sioux Falls with comments from Summit League Commish regarding league realignment at http://www.argusleader.com/article/2013 ... /306080031

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:01 pm 
Senior
Senior

Will NJIT be playing in the summit in 2013-14?

Post subject: Summit League Expansion
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:52 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

ctx48c wrote:

As of right now, no.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:25 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I still wish and/or believe that North Dakota should join the Summit instead of the Big Sky to join up with its other fellow Dakota schools (and in the MVFC for football with these same Dakota schools), despite being turned down due to the controversy of its nickname and logo, which I hope that they'll solve that issue by finding a new nickname that would suit better than their tradition Fighting Sioux name within a few years to come.

ctx48c wrote:

I doubt it. And for certain reasons. 1.) NJIT is in the Northeast U.S. 2.) They're currently affiliated as an NCAA D-I Independent for mostly all sports. 3.) Should the Highlanders would join an athletic conference, it would be either in the MAAC or the NEC or the AmEast, despite that these conferences have yet no interest whatsoever. 4.) The school can use the same arena where they play ice hockey for their basketball teams, referring to the Prudential Center.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:25 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

ctx48c wrote:

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
I doubt it. And for certain reasons. 1.) NJIT is in the Northeast U.S. 2.) They're currently affiliated as an NCAA D-I Independent for mostly all sports. 3.) Should the Highlanders would join an athletic conference, it would be either in the MAAC or the NEC or the AmEast, despite that these conferences have yet no interest whatsoever. 4.) The school can use the same arena where they play ice hockey for their basketball teams, referring to the Prudential Center.

NJIT could easily join the Summit for 2014-15, and would be a better fit there than anywhere else despite the location.
1. The Summit needs baseball schools, and NJIT has that (and could bring NYIT as a baseball-only affiliate).
2. NJIT doesn't seem to be adding lacrosse or any other sports that northeastern conferences are emphasizing, which is part of why the NEC and America East aren't interested.
3. NJIT has all sports sponsored by the Summit except men's and women's golf and women's swimming; and only basketball and golf have all 8 members competing, so NJIT would help with scheduling.
4. If NJIT can afford to play at the Prudential Center for basketball and club level ice hockey, then surely they could find a way to pay a travel subsidy like Hawaii does to other BIg West members.
5. This kind of goes back to #1, but the Summit needs to do whatever they can to keep their auto-bid, and NJIT is the only realistic option to keep it since they are a full DI member. Plus adding 2 basketball games to a 14-game schedule can only help, especially if one is at the Prudential Center.

If NJIT doesn't like spending more money for athletics, then they need to go back to Division II. As for the Summit, they can't afford to risk losing another and desperately need to rebound.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:25 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I really have to wonder about the long-term health of this conference. They are down to 8 members and the WAC seriously encroached on their turf by stealing away UMKC and adding Chicago St.

IUPUI and IPFW clearly want in the Horizon League but the Horizon doesn't seem interested in expanding past 9.
WIU would ideally like to be a full member of the MVC but that isnt going to happen any time soon. OVC or Horizon membership would be nice too but those leagues don't seem interested.
Denver has recently made the conference their newest conference of convenience.
Nebraska-Omaha would love to see this conference rebuild and get stronger but everyone else has their own agendas.
North Dakota St, South Dakota St, and South Dakota seem to be the block that is driving the bus and as long as they can keep the Summit together and maintain their football membership in the MVFC things will stay the same.

Bringing in the two strongest DII programs in Minnesota would greatly help the conference but they would need conference homes for football or have to drop the sport. The Summit won't add football because the 4 schools who play the sport want to stay in the stronger MVFC rather than be in a league with DII upgrades

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:17 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Summit league board isn't getting a whole lot of love lately. I had a thought on stabilizing the Summit. If they could get North Dakota and Northern Colorado to leave the Big Sky and get both schools membership in the MVFC the league would be a whole lot safer for the existing members. for UND it would mean a reunion with the other Dakota schools and cheapen their travel budget and for UNC it would mean regular games against Denver and moving to a league where their Olympic sports would be more competitive--travel wise the costs for them would be about the same or maybe slightly less.

UND
N Dakota St
S Dakota St
USD
Denver
N Colorado
Nebraska Omaha
W Illinois
IUPUI
IPFW

This stability might be enough to lure back UMKC and Bring in Chicago St allowing the league to save some money on travel costs by instituting division play

Post subject: Summit League Expansion
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:51 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If UND and UNC turned down baseball-only membership in the Summit, I doubt they accept an all-sports offer. I'm not sure Denver really wants anything with UNC either, and Denver is gone if a WCC spot ever becomes available. Denver left the WAC to avoid being in a conference with Chicago State, so scratch the Cougars joining as #11 or #12.

Other than that, it works out for the Summit. The Summit would even have six members who sponsor football, not that anyone is willing to jettison the MVFC.

MVFC North (Summit)
UND/NDSU
USD/SDSU
Northern Colorado/Northern Iowa

MVFC South (MVC)
Missouri State/Southern Illinois
Illinois Sate/Western Illinois
Indiana State/Youngstown State

If the Summit decides to sponsor its own football championship, flip Northern Iowa and Western Illinois in the above divisional alignment. The Summit could then pursue any schools in its footprint wanting to start FCS football not in the Missouri Valley, like Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:30 am 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:
If UND and UNC turned down baseball-only membership in the Summit, I doubt they accept an all-sports offer. I'm not sure Denver really wants anything with UNC either, and Denver is gone if a WCC spot ever becomes available. Denver left the WAC to avoid being in a conference with Chicago State, so scratch the Cougars joining as #11 or #12.

Other than that, it works out for the Summit. The Summit would even have six members who sponsor football, not that anyone is willing to jettison the MVFC.

MVFC North (Summit)
UND/NDSU
USD/SDSU
Northern Colorado/Northern Iowa

MVFC South (MVC)
Missouri State/Southern Illinois
Illinois Sate/Western Illinois
Indiana State/Youngstown State

If the Summit decides to sponsor its own football championship, flip Northern Iowa and Western Illinois in the above divisional alignment. The Summit could then pursue any schools in its footprint wanting to start FCS football not in the Missouri Valley, like Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

I would second that. But only time would tell.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:08 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Interesting news...Oral Roberts to return to Summit League for the 2014-15 season.

http://www.thesummitleague.org/sports/a ... 3-orujoins

http://www.orugoldeneagles.com/ViewArti ... =209332936

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 78  Next