NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:29 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
I wonder if it would be possible for a WAC football conference to be revived down the road with the majority of the members being football only members keeping their Olympic sports in more geographically friendly leagues. You might have a group that looks something like this:

Idaho
New Mexico St
Montana
Montana St
ND St
SD St
UC Davis
Sacramento St
Cal Poly

UND, USD, and some of the other big sky schools could also be in consideration. I guess the big question is whether or not the NCAA has any legislation that would prevent they formation of a new FBS league and/or prevents a league that discontinued FBS football to bring it back?

I'm also thinking the same way as you are when it comes to conferences that once sponsored football and plan to bring it back. The St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SLIAC) of D-III sponsored twice (the 1st between 1996-97 and 1999-2000 and the 2nd in the 2008-09 season). But not sure if there were such legislation or rule to prevent those, of any football Division level.

And I believe that the WAC and the Big Sky (and possibly the Big West) should work things out when it comes to conference realignment.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:55 pm 
Senior
Senior

Has anyone heard rumors regarding WAC expansion? Things have settled down a bit....but, I feel the WAC is on the make for any teams looking to bolt up to D1 or change their conference affiliations.
Plus, with Seattle being so far away from all their conference brothers....I would guess that they would be asking for a travel partner once Idaho moves to the Big Sky.

The WAC has seemed to concentrate on major cities with Chicago, KC, Seattle, Bakersfield, and Phoenix on the list. Which leaves cities like Denver, Dallas, OKC, Omaha, and a few others on the list of possibilities.

Denver has a number of schools for Olympic sports. Colorado has some young football programs. Big Sky schools might want a change of scenery? Texas has some DII schools ready to make some moves. Dallas has a number of schools both large and small that could make a jump. Nebraska Omaha has a school. So, there are some candidates available.

So, will the WAC make another push...or possibly a push towards some football.....or what?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
Has anyone heard rumors regarding WAC expansion? Things have settled down a bit....but, I feel the WAC is on the make for any teams looking to bolt up to D1 or change their conference affiliations.
Plus, with Seattle being so far away from all their conference brothers....I would guess that they would be asking for a travel partner once Idaho moves to the Big Sky.

The WAC has seemed to concentrate on major cities with Chicago, KC, Seattle, Bakersfield, and Phoenix on the list. Which leaves cities like Denver, Dallas, OKC, Omaha, and a few others on the list of possibilities.

Denver has a number of schools for Olympic sports. Colorado has some young football programs. Big Sky schools might want a change of scenery? Texas has some DII schools ready to make some moves. Dallas has a number of schools both large and small that could make a jump. Nebraska Omaha has a school. So, there are some candidates available.

So, will the WAC make another push...or possibly a push towards some football.....or what?

As far as I know of, I hadn't heard anything related with the WAC lately. Since losing most of its members back last season to C-USA and the Sun Belt, which cause the dropping of football as a consequence, it's so far steady as it is, adding several schools in the Western U.S. region from D-II, plus adding some schools from the Midwest U.S. region. If the WAC plans to re-sponsor football in the far future, then they must analyze the schools from the Summit/Horizon/MVC/MVFC and possibly the Big Sky. This season marks Idaho's last as an all-sports member of the WAC (first and only in non-football sports while being an FBS Indy) before re-joining the Big Sky. I say that the WAC must try to send invites to the Dakota schools (and possibly some D-II Minnesota schools with football), Nebraska-Omaha (the school who once had a great sport in football), Northern Colorado might be possible as well. And with the status of the Summit League having less members in baseball after this season concludes, I guess that the WAC (which has baseball, with one of the Dakota schools sponsoring, which is UND) should check out that conference for starters, if the WAC should plan to expand within the Midwest instead of the West.

Or another view. Let's say the WAC wants football back, and then they check out the MVFC, which has both MVC and Summit schools playing that sport. The WAC should have NDSU (a D-I FCS powerhouse as of latest years), SDSU, USD and UN-Omaha (with football revived), all as full members; and a possible extended invite to UND for all-sports status (because they're an affiliate in baseball). This would leave the rest of the Summit schools; including Western Illinois, who should be full members within either the OVC (to join up with Eastern Illinois) or the MVC (to join up with Illinois St., Indiana St., Missouri St., Northern Iowa & Southern Illinois.) And as for IUPUI and IPFW (with Oakland in the Horizon to start off this season), who are left within the Summit, they should either join the MVC or the Horizon.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

UT Pan American Broncos (WAC member) to merge with UT Brownsville Ocelots (formerly Scorpions, changed this year, D3 non-basketball member, just w/m golf, soccer, cross country, w volleyball, and recently canceled NAIA baseball program) are going to be part of a totally new UT university currently referred to as Project South Texas (official name TBD)

http://www.utsystem.edu/news/topics/project-south-texas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the FAQ page...

What is Project South Texas?
•Project South Texas is a temporary name for The University of Texas System-led initiatives in South Texas and the Rio Grande Valley that includes efforts to create a new 21st century university with global impact and a new medical school.
•The new university will combine the talent, assets and resources of UT Brownsville, UT Pan American and the Regional Academic Health Center (RAHC), along with other resources to create a new model of university excellence uniquely designed to transform the quality of life, health and economic prosperity of the region.

When will the university be named?
•The target for announcing the new name is by the end of 2013. Input will be solicited from the Valley community and a wide range of stakeholders.

What is the timeline for establishing the new university?
•During the summer of 2013, a special adviser will be appointed through the UT System Office of Academic Affairs to coordinate and facilitate a transition team that will begin planning and developing the new university. The transition team will include UT Brownsville President Juliet Garcia and UT Pan American President Robert Nelsen.
•The Board of Regents is launching a national search with the goal of announcing a president for the new university in 2014.
•Transition and accreditation processes will continue throughout 2014 and 2015.
•The new university is expected to enroll its inaugural class of first-year students in the fall of 2015.

What happens to UT Brownsville and UT Pan American when the new university is created?
•Assets and resources from the current institutions will be consolidated and become part of the new university. It is the expectation that both campuses will grow with the new university.

When and how will the mascot and school colors be selected and what about athletics, student and alumni groups and other university organizations?
•The new university president will begin working with students in 2014 to develop a process for selecting a new university mascot and school colors.
•Once the new university president is appointed, campus work groups will be formed to review how athletic teams and student teams, groups, alumni and other organizations will be organized and operate in the new university.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
UT Pan American Broncos (WAC member) to merge with UT Brownsville Ocelots (formerly Scorpions, changed this year, D3 non-basketball member, just w/m golf, soccer, cross country, w volleyball, and recently canceled NAIA baseball program) are going to be part of a totally new UT university currently referred to as Project South Texas (official name TBD)

http://www.utsystem.edu/news/topics/project-south-texas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the FAQ page...

What is Project South Texas?
•Project South Texas is a temporary name for The University of Texas System-led initiatives in South Texas and the Rio Grande Valley that includes efforts to create a new 21st century university with global impact and a new medical school.
•The new university will combine the talent, assets and resources of UT Brownsville, UT Pan American and the Regional Academic Health Center (RAHC), along with other resources to create a new model of university excellence uniquely designed to transform the quality of life, health and economic prosperity of the region.

When will the university be named?
•The target for announcing the new name is by the end of 2013. Input will be solicited from the Valley community and a wide range of stakeholders.

What is the timeline for establishing the new university?
•During the summer of 2013, a special adviser will be appointed through the UT System Office of Academic Affairs to coordinate and facilitate a transition team that will begin planning and developing the new university. The transition team will include UT Brownsville President Juliet Garcia and UT Pan American President Robert Nelsen.
•The Board of Regents is launching a national search with the goal of announcing a president for the new university in 2014.
•Transition and accreditation processes will continue throughout 2014 and 2015.
•The new university is expected to enroll its inaugural class of first-year students in the fall of 2015.

What happens to UT Brownsville and UT Pan American when the new university is created?
•Assets and resources from the current institutions will be consolidated and become part of the new university. It is the expectation that both campuses will grow with the new university.

When and how will the mascot and school colors be selected and what about athletics, student and alumni groups and other university organizations?
•The new university president will begin working with students in 2014 to develop a process for selecting a new university mascot and school colors.
•Once the new university president is appointed, campus work groups will be formed to review how athletic teams and student teams, groups, alumni and other organizations will be organized and operate in the new university.

Wow, interesting change for UTPA and UTB. I hope this helps get the athletic programs up and to full speed soon. I like the name Pan American....hope they keep it.

Seems like the UT system has really been working on moving some of their teams up to new levels. With UTSA, UTA, UTPA making strides to new and better conferences. I wonder if UT Dallas and UT Permian Basin will get the same treatment, next? UTD has over 15k students and could easily work themselves into the Lone Star or maybe even Southland?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

NMSU MB thread with comments attributed to NMSU President regarding NMSU athletics and the WAC at http://crimsontothecore.forumatic.com/v ... f=4&t=9133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:53 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
Wow, interesting change for UTPA and UTB. I hope this helps get the athletic programs up and to full speed soon. I like the name Pan American....hope they keep it.

Seems like the UT system has really been working on moving some of their teams up to new levels. With UTSA, UTA, UTPA making strides to new and better conferences. I wonder if UT Dallas and UT Permian Basin will get the same treatment, next? UTD has over 15k students and could easily work themselves into the Lone Star or maybe even Southland?

UT hasn't been trying to move up those schools, those schools do everything themseleves and UT approves what they want...generally.

UTD was seriously considering moving up to DII and UT-Tyler was also sorta looking into it too...

UTPB isn't moving up past DII for a while.

I assume that the goal for UTPA/UTB will be the same as it was before for UTPA, to get into the Southland conference.

If I had to put money on it, UTD would be the next school to move into D1 but it won't be for at least 15-20 years, like I said above look for a move to D2 in the next few years first. Also they'll most likely never add football. UTA will be the next school to add football...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:10 am 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
mozilla wrote:

UT hasn't been trying to move up those schools, those schools do everything themseleves and UT approves what they want...generally.

UTD was seriously considering moving up to DII and UT-Tyler was also sorta looking into it too...

UTPB isn't moving up past DII for a while.

I assume that the goal for UTPA/UTB will be the same as it was before for UTPA, to get into the Southland conference.

If I had to put money on it, UTD would be the next school to move into D1 but it won't be for at least 15-20 years, like I said above look for a move to D2 in the next few years first. Also they'll most likely never add football. UTA will be the next school to add football...

Yes, I am aware that UT Austin isn't behind these moves. I used the term 'UT system' to describe the efforts of all involoved.

I had read that it was possible that UTPB wanted to make a move up to the Lone Star conference in the next few years. It was only a possibility, though.
UTD should really push themselves up to the Lone Star conference and then shoot for Southland. DII first...then DI later.

With only two or maybe three football teams in the Metroplex(SMU/TCU/N Tx.)....there is a ton of room for another team or two. And if schools such as Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word and Southwestern can have football...I don't see a reason that UTA or UTD can't. There are plenty of High School stadiums available as a temporary venue. There are plenty of football players in the state. There is plenty of support behind schools athletics and football.

The Lone Star conference needs some depth and new teams.....and what better place to get them from, than the Metroplex?

....anyway, glad for UTPA and UTB. Don't know how they plan on having one school in three different cities....but, I hope it works out for all involved. And I hope with the new total student body above 30k....that football will be soon to follow.

Is this going to effect the affiliation with the WAC for the new school?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
NMSU MB thread with comments attributed to NMSU President regarding NMSU athletics and the WAC at http://crimsontothecore.forumatic.com/v ... f=4&t=9133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to that forum:

Quote:
A couple of things of note.

1. He thinks we're going to be in both the WAC and Sunbelt for the foreseeable future.
2. The Sunbelt is waiting to see what James Madison U does. He thinks the SBC would rather have them than us. We're too far west for a majority of the schools.
3. He'd like to add 2 or 3 more schools to the WAC.
4. We need to strengthen the WAC.
5. We might have to consider adding Men's Soccer in order to attract more schools to the WAC.

I have some answers to concur:

1.) That's what he "thinks". But I believe that New Mexico State won't last long in the WAC. The Aggies joined the WAC on July 1, 2005 (along with Idaho, who'll re-join the Big Sky, and Utah State, who recently joined the MW) to replace the losses of Tulsa, SMU, UTEP and Rice.; making those three the most recent additions in WAC history before the end of football in the 2012-13 by 8 seasons.
2.) It's logic that New Mexico St., along with Idaho, is far away from the rest of the members within the Southeast U.S.-based Sun Belt. Both schools should had stayed as FBS Indies (now with the WAC gone from FBS football), unless the Aggies should consider going for full membership to either re-join the Sun Belt or joining other leagues like C-USA or the Big XII (with football), or re-join the Big West (for non-football sports). Obviously, the current Western U.S.-based FBS conferences like the Pac-10/12 or the MW don't want New Mexico St. or Idaho, but got Utah St. and San Jose State (former WAC member who joined in the 1996-97 season)
3.) When it comes to addition of expansion, the WAC should either explore the Midwest for explore the Western areas on D-II schools.
4.) To strengthen the WAC, the conference itself must rely on newcomers (like the recent additions during the late part of last season).
5.) Adding men's soccer was the only logical choice for the WAC to have in order to replace football (until that sport would possibly be revived in the future).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:20 pm 
Senior
Senior

Since the school is going to be "new" would they have to reclassify in the NCAA or do they automatically take pan am's place in the conference?

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

46566 wrote:
Since the school is going to be "new" would they have to reclassify in the NCAA or do they automatically take pan am's place in the conference?

That's the big question here (besides the name change). Also where would the sports be played? All at what is now Pan Am, or spread throughout the area (like m/w soccer at Brownsville, basketball at PanAm, and track at the new campus at Harlingen (where the med school is).

I'd bet they would opt to keep their sports in the WAC and in DI and likely call this a merger/name change but eventually I think most of the sports will end up at Harlingen and the Edinburg(PanAm) and Brownsville campuses will only host local club/intermural sports, but that transition likely isn't at the top of their to-do list.

And FYI for anyone that doesn't know the valley, its the Southern most tip of Texas a stacks up kinda like this...

Edinburg (10mins North of McAllen)
McAllen-30mins-Harlingen-30mins-Brownsville-30mins-South Padre Island
--------------TEXAS-US/MEXICO BORDER aka Rio Grande---------------
Reynosa(20mins South of McAllen)-Matamoros (20mins South of Brownsville)

UTPA is in Edinburg
UTPA has a teaching extention campus in McAllen which will likely be getting full campus too.
Regional Academic Health Center is in Harlingen and will be the med school and likely the main campus of this new UT school
UTB is just in Brownsville

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Tk why the hell hasn't McMurry joined the LSC who needs members? They join the Heartland and go Indy in fb. WTF? LSC should try and get MHBU to move up and join them as well. I figure they'll also try and get Wayland Baptist since they added football.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Tk why the hell hasn't McMurry joined the LSC who needs members? They join the Heartland and go Indy in fb. WTF? LSC should try and get MHBU to move up and join them as well. I figure they'll also try and get Wayland Baptist since they added football.

McMurry is joining the LSC in fb starting in 2014...
http://www.lonestarconference.org/news/ ... h=football
I assume that they will join the LSC as a full member once their transition is complete in ~2015.

Mary Hardin Baylor, Southwestern (Georgetown, TX)(also adding fb), Sul Ross, and Wayland Baptist should all move up to DII in the near future, along with UTD (w/o fb).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't wanna sound harsh, but I think that New Mexico State should follow Idaho's footsteps, by finding a new conference home for all other sports. It seems to me that the Aggies won't stay for long in the recently-rebranded non-football WAC (which the WAC should focus on expansion on other schools within the Western and Left Midwest U.S., either from FCS or D-II). Besides, of the 2005 expansion that the WAC made, ONLY Utah State was invited to the Mountain West (MWC) to start off the 2013-14 season; which it was ALSO a recent newcomer like Idaho and New Mexico State. Back to the Aggies, their basketball program has improved since being a WAC school: 4 WAC conference tournament titles, with 1 WAC regular season title; and 4 NCAA tournament appearances in 8 seasons, 2 of them reaching on the 2nd round (also back-to-back from 2011-12 to last season). I believe that New Mexico State should fit (for non-football sports) either in the Big West or Sun Belt.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So there's this:

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootba ... progr.html

The Big Sky is generally smaller markets with the exception of Portland and Sacramento (and if you want to throw in Ogden / SLC, you can). I wonder if the Big Sky would still want Portland State if football goes away... but I also wonder if Portland State would rather partner with Seattle U and other urban schools in the WAC. Of course, will there be a WAC?

BTW, those of you who know PSU know that the basketball "gym" is smaller than most local high school gyms. However, the state is contributing money to the renovation/replacement project, so PSU is just getting the last few million cinched up to get this built: http://www.goviks.com/sports/2013/2/18/ ... spx?id=219

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 99  Next