NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:27 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Val Ackerman says on the subject of Big East expansion: not right now.

She's going to fit in just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:10 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Big East RIGHT NOW should be totally focused on starting up their operations, getting it running smoothly, and giving FOX a good product.

Expansion belongs on the back burner until those other items have been accompllished.

Plus Val knows that this year's Media Day is all about publicizing the teams in the confernece,
not devoted to discussing potential candidates who currently play in other conferences.

I can see expansion moving to the front burner in 2 years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:40 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
The Big East RIGHT NOW should be totally focused on starting up their operations, getting it running smoothly, and giving FOX a good product.

Expansion belongs on the back burner until those other items have been accompllished.

Plus Val knows that this year's Media Day is all about publicizing the teams in the confernece,
not devoted to discussing potential candidates who currently play in other conferences.

I can see expansion moving to the front burner in 2 years.

Totally agree, I doubt they'd ever address expansion at a media day...

Let the new squad get to know each other by playing round robin for a few years, nothing should really affect them in the rest of conference realignment as they are at the top of the non-fb leagues.

The only thing that could possibly spur them to move quickly would be if the A10 decided to establish some sort of GOR, then I think'd they'd expand tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:53 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I'm thinking hte A-10 is looking ahead, and preparing for losing 2 more to the Big East.

Their recent "re-stocking" suggests that they are re-orienting the confernece to be along the eastern seaboard and not having a tendril out into the mid-west.

Dayton is well west of the main body of the A-10, and St. Louis is WAY west.

I could see St. Louis moving to the Big East (West) to join Creighton, Marquette, DePAaul, Butler, and Xavier.
Dayton might be at least temporarily blocked by nearby Xavier (no evidenece, jut my guess).
The BE (East) would then add another school - could be anybody - VCU & Richmond are decent BB schools, Duquesne for the Pittsburgh market (they'd need to up their game),
Holy Cross ? Siena ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:12 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think Holy Cross budges from a conference that was formed at the urging of the Ivy League. I don't know if joining this version of the Big East does anything for HC that helps distinguish the school.

I don't know if the Big East goes to a public school. They should, but let them learn why that is the hard way should they not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:11 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tute79 wrote:
I'm thinking hte A-10 is looking ahead, and preparing for losing 2 more to the Big East.

Their recent "re-stocking" suggests that they are re-orienting the confernece to be along the eastern seaboard and not having a tendril out into the mid-west.

Dayton is well west of the main body of the A-10, and St. Louis is WAY west.

I could see St. Louis moving to the Big East (West) to join Creighton, Marquette, DePAaul, Butler, and Xavier.
Dayton might be at least temporarily blocked by nearby Xavier (no evidenece, jut my guess).
The BE (East) would then add another school - could be anybody - VCU & Richmond are decent BB schools, Duquesne for the Pittsburgh market (they'd need to up their game),
Holy Cross ? Siena ?

Me too. Prior to the actual official split talk, the schools on the radar were the ones taken...and St. Louis and Dayton were sitting there as the expected schools should the conference expand to 12 instead of 10. They opted for 10 and chose Creighton over St. Louis/Dayton.

But yes, I do think in the end, with Creighton in the conference in Nebraska, that St. Louis will join. And I think that Dayton would be expected for #12. It would take something real special by VCU or Richmond for that to change...which is VERY possible since both schools expand the footprint further south into ACC territory. Maryland leaving for the Big Ten opens things up in the region for Georgetown and a partner school like VCU or Richmond to make some noise.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:20 am 
Freshman
Freshman

tkalmus wrote:
Fairfield (my sleeper pick, great all around school just not as good in bball as the rest but top LAX and academics)

Fairfield is, at BEST, a mid-range lacrosse program, and has NEVER produced a final four team (nor have they had a Great 8 or Sweet 16 appearance). For goodness sake, they have only had a program since 1993.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Hamburger wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
Fairfield (my sleeper pick, great all around school just not as good in bball as the rest but top LAX and academics)

Fairfield is, at BEST, a mid-range lacrosse program, and has NEVER produced a final four team (nor have they had a Great 8 or Sweet 16 appearance). For goodness sake, they have only had a program since 1993.

I get that you know LAX, but you have to realize that everything is relative. Fairfield is one of the top LAX programs not in the Big East, Big Ten, ACC, Patriot, or Ivy.

South Carolina, Mizzou, Baylor, Texas Tech, Michigan St, North Carolina, NCSU and Arizona St all have top football programs however none have ever been to a BCS game.

Plus my pick had more to do with their academic, cultural, geographical fit than athletic which is why I called them a dark horse (which means likely won't happen).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fairfield and Monmouth are reaching for something bigger. I think it's the CAA, with support of the non-fb private schools, but who knows if they think they can go higher (A10 or BE).

I think Fairfield's got a better trajectory than Monmouth, though. Where either stack up against Siena, however...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:31 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Fairfield and Monmouth are reaching for something bigger. I think it's the CAA, with support of the non-fb private schools, but who knows if they think they can go higher (A10 or BE).

I think Fairfield's got a better trajectory than Monmouth, though. Where either stack up against Siena, however...

I would agree--both of those schools have their eyes on moving into bigger ponds. The trouble with the CAA is that it could burst apart at any time. They need to decide whether they are an elite FCS football conference or a high mid-major basketball league.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:36 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:

I would agree--both of those schools have their eyes on moving into bigger ponds. The trouble with the CAA is that it could burst apart at any time. They need to decide whether they are an elite FCS football conference or a high mid-major basketball league.

I agree on the fact that the CAA is having trouble. Besides, most of its affiliates are from the non-football-sponsoring America East Conference.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:37 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:
Fairfield is one of the top LAX programs not in the Big East, Big Ten, ACC, Patriot, or Ivy.

Sorry, but still a false statement.

There are only 63 Division 1 varsity programs, and if you take the Big East, Big Ten (most of which are not good programs), Acc, Patriot and Ivy out of the picture (28 programs) you have 35 programs left, and in that group Fairfield MIGHT be 15th. Fairfeld is not a top lax program even if you limit it to the conference they are in (they finished 4th of 8 in the ECAC Lacrosse Conference).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Hamburger wrote:
Quote:
Fairfield is one of the top LAX programs not in the Big East, Big Ten, ACC, Patriot, or Ivy.

Sorry, but still a false statement.

There are only 63 Division 1 varsity programs, and if you take the Big East, Big Ten (most of which are not good programs), Acc, Patriot and Ivy out of the picture (28 programs) you have 35 programs left, and in that group Fairfield MIGHT be 15th.

First off there will be 66 programs, and the BE (6), B1G (6) , ACC (5), Patriot (8), and Ivy (7) equals 32.

Secondly, you are kidding yourself if you think the Big Ten won't quickly become a top LAX conference. tOSU and PSU are getting really good, MD and JHU are already great, Michigan just started but will catch up quickly, and Rutgers is...well okay you got me on that one.

Feel free to debate me on this I really don't mind but IMO the CAA (which Fairfield is now in) also belongs in that list of top LAX conference above...outside of those top conferences the list top program gets slim. I can only think of a couple programs better than Fairfield in the AEC.

Hamburger wrote:
Fairfeld is not a top lax program even if you limit it to the conference they are in (they finished 4th of 8 in the ECAC Lacrosse Conference).

4th in the ECAC behind Denver (Big East) Ohio St (Big Ten), Loyola (Patriot)...way to frame the argument :)

I mean come on, the MAAC sponsors LAX and Fairfield chooses and is allowed to (by the MAAC and CAA) play elsewhere in a better conference. Why do you think that is?

Last edited by TKthunder on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:12 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fairfield lax isn't a great program. It's only a more dedicated one among its NEC and MAAC-like peers. I thought it was a scholarship issue that allowed Fairfield the opportunity to wander, not its power or reputation as a program. But, Fairfield's been said to be maneuvering for some time. One sport is now in the CAA, and I suspect the rest will follow soon enough, that is, unless the Patriot taps them (I don't know why they would, though).

The Big Ten isn't going to be a great lax conference for some time, either. It's UMD and JHU's to lose. OSU and PSU may be ahead of a lot of the smaller colleges fielding the sport in the North Atlantic and New England, but they are extremely far behind the better programs of the country. The ACC and Patriot are far better, and the B1G, beyond the Maryland schools, resemble CAA more than those other two power conferences. There's potential, I agree, but don't be fooled by the money behind those programs.

I wish a conference, be it the Big East, CAA, or A10 would do something about the America East. Albany, Stony, and Vermont should be elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:31 pm 
Senior
Senior

Sure basketball divisions are few and far between but what if the Big East did this:

Midwest Division:

Creighton
*Saint Louis
*Wichita St
DePaul
Marquette
Butler

East Division:

Xavier
Villanova
St. John's
Georgetown
Providence
Seton Hall

I think most agree Saint Louis is on its way to the Big East and I can't honestly see how Wichita St would hurt the Big East (only concern is that they are a public school...in Kansas)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next