NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:41 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193 ... 214  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
It's the PAC12 that could do the multiple accommodations best, if so desired.

Amen.

The current landscape of top-tier collegiate athletics is where it is because of what that conference hasn't done. That shouldn't be recognized as power, though. It is what it is.

But, beyond whether the Big XII expands or not, there's still some catching up to be done on the west coast once the Big Ten and SEC return to the negotiating tables.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Lash, your most recent post sounded like MLK's "I have a dream" speech !

I think we can all picture tht same 64, 72, 80 -team super-league.

What dynamic gets us there, though....

Not sure that each confernece office (most of whom would lose their jobs) doesn't have a vested interest in the status quo.
So the steps toward the super-league may be very slow and incremental...
PLUS the schools may want the current conferences to continue to exist as related to all other sports.

We could use a 4-team playoff this year, as one may project FSU, OSU, Bama, and Oregon/Stanford
all having legitimate claims to the National Championship, and a right to play for the title in a tournament.
And that ignores Baylor (who is putting up 64 points / game and is undefeated).
With 5 power conferences and the odd independent (ND, BYU) or Little 5 team of the year, it seems more likely
(a historical analysis bore this out), that in a given year there are more likely to be 7 or 8 zero or one-loss teams,
with a legitiamte claim to #1.

So starting next year, this selection committee may catch a lot of heat, as it may be easier to determine who is #2 now,
than to choose the #4 team from perhaps 4 or 5 contenders....
I see a lot of pressure to go to an 8-team tourney.
The new set up is for 12 years, but there is a break in some contracts after 6 years.
Which makes me wonder that after 6 years, might they want to go to 8 teams ?
They can still get by with the 6 bowls (Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, Sugar, Peach, Orange) for the 4 quarter-finals + 2 semi-finals (on a rotating basis)
and continue to bid out the national Chamionship Game.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Should the Big XII eventually goes bankrupt, with the Texas/Oklahoma schools heading into either the Pac-12 or the SEC, while the lower Midwest schools to the B1G, I believe that the national college football playoff format should be regional (in geographic terms).

For instance:

The ACC and The American should represent the East (having the Orange Bowl)
The B1G and the MAC (possibly the Big XII if any future expansion involved) should represent the Midwest (having the Fiesta Bowl instead of one part of the Rose Bowl; since there's no BCS-like major bowl in that region)
The SEC, the Sun Belt and C-USA should represent the South/Southeast (having the Sugar Bowl)
The Pac-12 and the Mountain West should represent the West (having the Rose Bowl full-time).

If today would be next season, the top 4 teams in the current BCS standings are the #1 seeds of their respective regions:

#1 Alabama (SEC; South - Sugar)
#2 Florida State (ACC; East - Orange) - geographically in the South, but conference-location-wise, it's in the East
#3 Oregon (Pac-12; West - Rose)
#4 Ohio State (B1G; Midwest - Fiesta)

And in my opinion, the playoff format must upgrade to at least upto 16 to 24 spots (all based on the Top 25 rankings).

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:11 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Lash, your most recent post sounded like MLK's "I have a dream" speech !

I think we can all picture tht same 64, 72, 80 -team super-league.

What dynamic gets us there, though....

Not sure that each confernece office (most of whom would lose their jobs) doesn't have a vested interest in the status quo.
So the steps toward the super-league may be very slow and incremental...
PLUS the schools may want the current conferences to continue to exist as related to all other sports.

We could use a 4-team playoff this year, as one may project FSU, OSU, Bama, and Oregon/Stanford
all having legitimate claims to the National Championship, and a right to play for the title in a tournament.
And that ignores Baylor (who is putting up 64 points / game and is undefeated).
With 5 power conferences and the odd independent (ND, BYU) or Little 5 team of the year, it seems more likely
(a historical analysis bore this out), that in a given year there are more likely to be 7 or 8 zero or one-loss teams,
with a legitiamte claim to #1.

So starting next year, this selection committee may catch a lot of heat, as it may be easier to determine who is #2 now,
than to choose the #4 team from perhaps 4 or 5 contenders....
I see a lot of pressure to go to an 8-team tourney.
The new set up is for 12 years, but there is a break in some contracts after 6 years.
Which makes me wonder that after 6 years, might they want to go to 8 teams ?
They can still get by with the 6 bowls (Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, Sugar, Peach, Orange) for the 4 quarter-finals + 2 semi-finals (on a rotating basis)
and continue to bid out the national Chamionship Game.

Tute, this is not a dream thread type post and money will drive some form of consolidation of all the major conference into one super league. It is just good business and college sports is big business. While it may not be as clean as the following scenario, there will be a movement to one super conference or division to control all of college sport revenue.

Since we have been discussion a future super conference of the major college football schools breaking away from the current NCAA, it could be interesting to start creating some of the possible regional divisions.

First assumption: It is not a matter of if and just a matter of time to form this super conference of the major college football schools breaking away from the NCAA driven by money.

Second assumption: All schools which are currently members of the five power leagues will be included in this super conference (SEC, Pac 16, Big Ten, ACC, Big 12).

Third assumption: Notre Dame will be fighting and screaming all the way to being forced to move its football program into a league or regional division where the school should have been years ago.

Forth assumption: There will be additional schools from the non five power leagues allowed to move up a be included in this super league. In this scenario, there will be nine regional eight team divisions allowing UConn, BYU, and some current MWC schools to be included for a total of 72 schools. This super league could have more than 72 schools, however, for today there will be 72 included in this scenario.

I will start out with the easy 8 schools divisions which clearly should be aligned in this format.

Pacific: USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Oregon St, Washington, Wash St

Midwest: Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan St, Illinois, NW, Purdue, Indiana, Notre Dame

East: Penn St, Pitt, WVU, Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse, Boston College, UConn

Atlantic Coast: Virginia, Virginia Tech, NC State, Wake, Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, Kentucky

A little more tricky to get the next divisions aligned.

Plains: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa St, Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri

Mountain: Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado, Utah, Colorado St, BYU, New Mexico, Boise St

Now for the most difficult task is how to break up the better football programs to balance out divisions. This could take more thoughts and additional alignment.

Southeast: Florida, Florida State, Miami, Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Clemson, UCF

South: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Memphis, Miss, Miss St, LSU

Since we are on the Big 12 thread, the most difficult and political division to create.

Southwest: Arkansas, Texas A&M, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St

Summary: Notre Dame is finally in the corrected region for football. Eastern schools are finally aligned in the correct divisions after years of misalignment. Rivalries are restored including Texas/Texas A&M, Kansas/Missouri, Pitt/Penn St to name a few. UConn and other current non power schools have an equal footing to compete.

Football playoff could take all nine division winners along with selecting seven at large bids for a 16 team playoff which incorporates the current conference champion games into a full blown and fair playoff system. Bowls could continue a pick from any of the 72 school which did not make the 16 team playoff. The Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Cotton and other bowls could continue to be played on during the holidays.

Basketball would finally be fun again with double round robin rivalries in each division. Winners of nine eight team divisions would get an automatic bid to the basketball tournament. I would only include 7 at large bids for an automatic sweet sixteen making college basketball regular season more important relevant and important again. This may be more of hard sell and every one of 72 schools could play in the tournament. Maybe taking the bottom 16 teams in this 72 school super conference format as play in to reach 64. Then the tournament could just resemble the current NCAA type format of using 64 teams. My preference would be to reduce the number of at large bids to increase importance of the regular college basketball season which would renew fan interest in a sport that has been on the decline for fan regular season attendance in recent year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:24 pm 
Senior
Senior

lash wrote:
I will start out with the easy 8 schools divisions which clearly should be aligned in this format.

Midwest: Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan St, Illinois, NW, Purdue, Indiana, Notre Dame

Atlantic Coast: Virginia, Virginia Tech, NC State, Wake, Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, Kentucky

Plains: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa St, Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri

Mountain: Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado, Utah, Colorado St, BYU, New Mexico, Boise St

Now for the most difficult task is how to break up the better football programs to balance out divisions. This could take more thoughts and additional alignment.

Southeast: Florida, Florida State, Miami, Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Clemson, UCF

Since we are on the Big 12 thread, the most difficult and political division to create.

Southwest: Arkansas, Texas A&M, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St

I don't hate the idea. I would, however, change the basketball format you included. I would add the Big East + some non-football members to other conferences like Gonzaga. A couple schools getting the shaft that I would be hesitant to keep out are Cincinnati, Tulane, Rice, Houston, UNLV, and maybe 1 or 2 others. I'm not saying I have any idea where to put them, I'm just saying I'd be hesitant in leaving them out. That all being said, I like this idea mainly because we all know Troy or Wyoming or Eastern Michigan or any other school like them is never going to be considered for the FBS championship. In my opinion that is incredibly unjust, but it is what it is. And if that's going to be the case, then I feel like its a false hope to keep them in the same division.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Nice groupings Lash,

You went with 72.

If I were an AD, though, I'd suggest insteadof nine groups of 8, eight goups of 9.
then your schedule would be an 8-game round-robin with 4 home and 4 away games per year.

Plus 9 division champs doesn't fit into a bracket as smoothly as 8 winners.

How to start sliding teams around to get to 8 divisions.... hmmm...
Boise St. to the "Pacific"....
Va Tech with the old BE guys in the "East"...
Wisconsin to the "Midwest"...
Oklahoma schools to the "Plains"....
South Carolina & Clemson to the "Atlantic Coast"...
Alabama & Auburn to the "Southeast"...
Arkansas & TA&M & TCU & Baylor to the "South"...
Texas & Texas Tech to the "Mountain"...
"Southwest" goes away....

need to move one team from South to Southeast.... hmmm.....

ANYWAY - something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

One can appreciate the desire for equity and balance, but that's not the direction the forces of power are heading. Adding somewhere does not have the same dynamics as relinquishing somewhere, particularly where power is strongest. Even Leon Trotsky may have said, if you invite some of the proletariat in, denying rights and priviledges to the rest are grounds for a revolution. In the super division quest, it's the elite that are rebelling, and compromise among themselves is not the agenda.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:56 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

lash wrote:
tute79 wrote:

Tute, this is not a dream thread type post and money will drive some form of consolidation of all the major conference into one super league. It is just good business and college sports is big business. While it may not be as clean as the following scenario, there will be a movement to one super conference or division to control all of college sport revenue.

Since we have been discussion a future super conference of the major college football schools breaking away from the current NCAA, it could be interesting to start creating some of the possible regional divisions.

First assumption: It is not a matter of if and just a matter of time to form this super conference of the major college football schools breaking away from the NCAA driven by money.

Second assumption: All schools which are currently members of the five power leagues will be included in this super conference (SEC, Pac 16, Big Ten, ACC, Big 12).

Third assumption: Notre Dame will be fighting and screaming all the way to being forced to move its football program into a league or regional division where the school should have been years ago.

Forth assumption: There will be additional schools from the non five power leagues allowed to move up a be included in this super league. In this scenario, there will be nine regional eight team divisions allowing UConn, BYU, and some current MWC schools to be included for a total of 72 schools. This super league could have more than 72 schools, however, for today there will be 72 included in this scenario.

Summary: Notre Dame is finally in the corrected region for football. Eastern schools are finally aligned in the correct divisions after years of misalignment. Rivalries are restored including Texas/Texas A&M, Kansas/Missouri, Pitt/Penn St to name a few. UConn and other current non power schools have an equal footing to compete.

Football playoff could take all nine division winners along with selecting seven at large bids for a 16 team playoff which incorporates the current conference champion games into a full blown and fair playoff system. Bowls could continue a pick from any of the 72 school which did not make the 16 team playoff. The Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Cotton and other bowls could continue to be played on during the holidays.

When I first read this, I wasn't sure if I liked the idea or not, but I thought it was exciting. I like the way you matched the teams geographically. But that being said, I just don't see how some of these schools would go along with being forced into divisions with rivals from lesser conferences. I don't see how Florida, Georgia and South Carolina are just going to go along with being put in a division with FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson and UCF (as a UCF fan I have no problem with this, even though we may not win a game for a couple of years). I don't see school presidents being okay with the idea they have no say in who is in their conference. Another problem I have is balance. There really isn't a fair way to evenly distribute the teams. I give you credit for creating the divisions you did (be honest, that was kind of fun wasn't it). But no matter how you slice it, the teams in the south and southeast are going to be in "the pool of death" for the soccer fans out there. Florida, FSU, Miami, Georgia, South Carolina, Clemson, GT, Alabama, Auburn, and LSU would be at a severe disadvantage vs teams in the east, mountain west, plains and atlantic coast. Even if you balance it out and put 5 of those teams in one division and the other 5 in another division, they would still most likely be the top 2 divisions year in and year out, with possible exceptions to the Pac and the Southwest.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:58 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Lash, I know it seems like I am attacking you, but I'm not. I think your idea sounds great in theory, but what do you do about conference networks? I believe the SEC in the next 10 years is going to be a $1 billion dollar industry split among 16 teams. Why would the SEC and their universities want to give away that kind of money for the benefit of Washington State and Purdue. I read somewhere that if the SEC can get a school in Virginia and North Carolina and charge $3 for their network, it would make their deal worth about a billion. I don't know if the numbers are accurate, but if it's even half of that, it would make it highly unlikely they would want to submit to the will of this new super conference model.

I would like to hear what you and Tkalmus, sec03, Bishon Cutter and some of the others on here have to say about conference networks and the possibility of the super conference.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:37 am 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
One can appreciate the desire for equity and balance, but that's not the direction the forces of power are heading. Adding somewhere does not have the same dynamics as relinquishing somewhere, particularly where power is strongest. Even Leon Trotsky may have said, if you invite some of the proletariat in, denying rights and priviledges to the rest are grounds for a revolution. In the super division quest, it's the elite that are rebelling, and compromise among themselves is not the agenda.

Right. The socialistic "greater good" between the power programs just doesn't exist to that extensive a collective, even if there are exceptions (Big Ten). And it's very clear that certain collectives want others' commodities (the ACC and Big East, the SEC and certain ACC programs, the Big Ten and PAC and the Big XII, etc.). If there was some sort of detente, it would be brief.

To the subject of Big XII expansion, a CCG, and the current season and championship access, depending on how Baylor fares, this might be their worst nightmare. Not having a thirteenth game when schools like Alabama, Florida State, and Ohio State will get one (with a likely quality opponent), it won't matter if Baylor has the best team (it certainly has the best offense)...they aren't in this thing without some schools tripping along the way (and who knows if any trip-ups in the CCGs prove all that costly). Baylor is a significant reason the Big XII is structured the way it is (reading the bylaws, the liabilities that exist when breaching GoR sound very much like their authorship).

It leads me to believe that, at ten, the Big XII is a conference with only two schools who can ever have true championship access: Texas and Oklahoma. Sucks to be the other eight. Oh well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
It leads me to believe that, at ten, the Big XII is a conference with only two schools who can ever have true championship access: Texas and Oklahoma. Sucks to be the other eight. Oh well.

Disagree, Oklahoma St and Kansas St would have been in the 4 team playoffs the last 2 years.

I would agree that UT/OU would be the schools that get the most benefit of the doubt (if undefeated would never be left out) but its hard to complain because ironically w/o them, the others would be in the same boat as NIU/Fresno.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:

Disagree, Oklahoma St and Kansas St would have been in the 4 team playoffs the last 2 years.

I would agree that UT/OU would be the schools that get the most benefit of the doubt (if undefeated would never be left out) but its hard to complain because ironically w/o them, the others would be in the same boat as NIU/Fresno.

I'm not entirely sure I agree, especially if the schools left out are from the SEC or even the PAC. It's the thirteenth game and the perception of a conference when its usual powerhouses are "down." I know the rankings would suggest oSu and KSU would get in, but put into a committee where only independents aren't playing the thirteenth game, and I don't like their chances. Even against someone like NIU or Fresno. The politics, I think, assist even those Go5 schools more than it does Big XII.

I do agree that a Big XII champion named "Texas" or "Oklahoma" are never shut out. Ever.

What remains for the other eight...I think they resemble the post-UMFL, BC, and VT Big East. Good programs and teams, but no respect from the masses. Nothing from the AAC, MWC, or independent pool would make it anything more than that, either.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So if Baylor wins out, and if the playoffs started this year...you think they'd be passed over for Stanford?

I don't like Baylor but I have a hard time believing that they skip over an undefeated big5 champ for a one loss champ unless it was the SEC. Now if Stanford or Oregon were undefeated then yes Baylor would be out, but with the Utah loss I don't think it would happen.

The 13th game only helps if you're playing a good opponent, a three loss team that you've already beat won't help your argument none.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:10 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
So if Baylor wins out, and if the playoffs started this year...you think they'd be passed over for Stanford?

I do. And, based on the current BCS standings, they would, too. I'd even say that if the SEC comes down to an 11-1 Missouri and undefeated Alabama CCG, and if Missouri were to win, both Alabama AND Missouri would stand over Baylor.

I'm not totally sold on CCGs being potentially disastrous to SoS, either. Whether you get a 6-6 scrub or a battle of unbeatens, it's a thirteenth game and still a relatively quality matchup that helps toward the cause. This season, it looks like Stanford will get a good CCG matchup (on top of an already brutal season schedule), Alabama's got a fight, and even Ohio State, if they pair up with an 11-1 Michigan State, gets a good look. Only FSU looks like it could inherit a steamy turd in the CCG, but whether that's a 9-3 or 8-4 team, that's one better win Baylor doesn't have.

...and parity in the Big XII doesn't help BU's cause, either. Baylor may come out of this undefeated, but if the next best team is 10-2 or 9-3...I think you compare that to schools like FSU and ones like Clemson (assuming they go 11-1), Stanford and Oregon, and the SEC in general...again, it's not good for Baylor. Even more destructive could be the number of bowl eligible teams that come from the Big XII. Considering many in the Big XII didn't exactly challenge themselves in the non-conference (what does it say when WVU-UMD is one of the better non-conference match-ups?), that, too, isn't good.

I just think, be it 12-0 Baylor or 12-0 Texas or Oklahoma, a lot of excuses must be made for a Big XII team's inclusion and a lot of excuses against others. I just don't get it. The CCG, whether secured by expansion or successfully obtained via waiver, goes a long way to silence stuff like the above.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Baylor has been very impressive so far this year. Last game, their defense also looked very good. Contrary to their frequent high placement in early polls, Oklahoma has a pattern and propensity to look overwhelmed when it comes to a couple of games each season. I do think as far as polling, Baylor has clawed their way upwards as others have fallen. Baylor is a private school with a prior history of struggling in the B12, which influences perceptions with some. That Heisman Trophy in 2011 for Robert Griffin III, did propel Baylor more in the spotlight. Really, the private schools the media adores most are Notre Dame, Southern Cal, Stanford, and Miami, probably in that order.

The BCS standings this week have Baylor at #5, right behind Stanford, who looked totally awesome until the last five minutes of the game vs. Oregon. Baylor has a couple of more good tests. Depending on how the rest of the season unfolds for the top few, Baylor could be hurt by not having a CCG. I am not sure, though, Baylor will breeze by Texas. Texas has gotten much better in the late season, and they tend to rise for the real challenging games.

Ohio State is interesting. If 'Bama or FSU stumble, and OSU does not lose, I expect OSU will get into the BCS title game. At least Baylor will get tested again though. While Ohio State is very good, I am not sure how good. OSU beat Wisconsin earlier, and could face Mich. State (#16 in BCS standing) in a B1G title game, but the 'tests' for OSU have not been impressive this season. Of course, the argument remains OSU took care of what was on their slate in the high profile B1G conference.

FSU hammered Clemson and previously undefeated Miami; and 'Bama has downed Texas A&M and LSU, so there are special games to be pointed to beyond being undefeated so far. 'Bama and FSU will get the NC/BCS game if neither lose beforehand.

One loss teams that could have a shot are Auburn and Mizzou, both SEC teams that would have to knock off Alabama plus have no additional loses.

For the PAC12, the BCS system may bite them once again. That earlier Utah loss really hurts Stanford. A Baylor vs. Oregon shoot-out game in some bowl would be nice to see, but chances are low for that to happen.

Among Alabama, FSU, Baylor, and Ohio State; if two of them don't lose a game before the end of the regular season including CCGs', there will be the near annual BCS fuss. And even with two clearly out and one of them is Alabama beaten by a one-loss team, controversy could remain unless Auburn beats Alabama, and then Mizzou has a chance to beat Auburn.

As to the future playoff system, I do think some years it shall work against the B12 for not having a CCG. Other years, it could be to the B12's advantage with a marquee name that's undefeated. If the potential entry is Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, WVU, ISU, or a Kansas school; having won a CCG could only help most of the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193 ... 214  Next