NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3051 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195 ... 204  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:15 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 pm
Posts: 1405
mozilla wrote:
Just because other conferences have a CCG doesn't mean that the Big 12 needs one. Were you complaining for the other conferences when they didn't have one...and the Big12 did?

The CCG is no guarantee that the two best teams in the conference are involved. That's why the Big 12 doesn't want it. It's an unsound way to decide a conference champion.

And this whole thing about UT and OU leaving is a load of crap. I live in Austin, graduated from UT, and keep up with the sentiment in this town. And I NEVER hear anything about UT leaving the conference or wanting to leave the conference. I guarantee....that UT never wants to quit playing Tech, Baylor and TCU.
So, Please....quite putting words in UTs mouth.
I feel the same way about OU. They will NEVER quite playing OSU...NEVER!

I'm certain that some of Y'all are saying....What about A&M(they left).
Well, A&M left....because no one in Texas likes them(except aggies). When I was at Tech my freshman year....everyone loathed A&M. Even though no one wanted to loose to Texas....we all loved Austin and really appreciated leaving Lubbock for a few hours to get away from the Panhandle. A&M are just a bunch of sour-asses. OU and Texas aren't. TCU, Tech and Baylor love having Texas around. I'm sure that OSU, Kansas, K State and ISU feel the same way about their relationship with OU.

In conclusion, I don't see, under any circumstance.....OU or Texas leaving their friendly rivals. Again, please quit repeating a completely unfounded rumor. :)

As the resident Longhorn punching bag, let me first says welcome aboard, just be prepared. ;)

People on this board were complaining that the PAC10, Big Ten, MWC, Big East, and Sun Belt Conference did not have CCG's for years. I think its just logical to assume it should be every conferences goal as it might have helped schools like USC in 2003 get into the MNC or a school like Boise get into a BCS game, or simply add revenue to a conference like the SBC.

That being said, I agree with you. Big 12 fans have seen the worst possible scenarios that the CCG had to offer. However the grind of playing everybody every year it clearly already taking its toll, and losing that 4th OOC game also is no bueno IMO.

Now about UT/OU, I think your wrong. UT was happy to leave TCU before and almost left Baylor in 2010. There is plently of smoke around UT/OU to just about every conference imaginable, you just have to know where to look. Every pay board I belong to has given some sort of realignment update in this month alone, and if you think nobody wants to move just take a look around the interwebs.

Here's a great starting point.

35K+ posts 2million+ views
http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthr ... going-away" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And that doesn't include the tons of other realignment posts that had their own special forum for 2 years (after Nebraska left until the Big 12 GOR).

If you can't tell or didn't know, I'm in favor of the PAC16<<< as I'd rather play just about anyone over there instead of ISU, KSU, and WVU. Losing Baylor/TCU (both nice new stadiums/easy road trips) and KU bball would suck but the allure of the PAC16 would more than compensate for those.

_________________
Fan of the Big 12 Conference, the Mountain West Conference and...
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:10 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 627
Location: Columbus, OH
tkalmus--I'm also a fan of the Pac 16 coming to fruition like it should have a couple years back. I would much rather see the Pac 12 get the top Big 12 programs than for the SEC to add them to their conglomerate. However with the threat of mega-conferences looming the Pac 16 might be better served by going ahead and becoming the Pac 18 or 20. For your alma mater to feel comfortable moving, regardless of how good the money is, they are going to want to have programs coming with them that will vote with them on conference matters. Texas is also going to want to have an Austin-friendly travel itinerary and compared to the original Pac 16 plan Salt Lake City is a giant leap from College Station. I think bringing Baylor along is going to be a must--TCU and/or one or both of the Kansas schools is negotiable.

I think the resulting fall out from this move is that the Big Ten and SEC then declare open season on the ACC and in the end when the dust settles the highest echelon of college sports consists of just 3 conferences.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:52 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 pm
Posts: 1405
fighting muskie wrote:
tkalmus--I'm also a fan of the Pac 16 coming to fruition like it should have a couple years back. I would much rather see the Pac 12 get the top Big 12 programs than for the SEC to add them to their conglomerate. However with the threat of mega-conferences looming the Pac 16 might be better served by going ahead and becoming the Pac 18 or 20. For your alma mater to feel comfortable moving, regardless of how good the money is, they are going to want to have programs coming with them that will vote with them on conference matters. Texas is also going to want to have an Austin-friendly travel itinerary and compared to the original Pac 16 plan Salt Lake City is a giant leap from College Station. I think bringing Baylor along is going to be a must--TCU and/or one or both of the Kansas schools is negotiable.

I think the resulting fall out from this move is that the Big Ten and SEC then declare open season on the ACC and in the end when the dust settles the highest echelon of college sports consists of just 3 conferences.


I agree with the PAC grabbing what it can get, PAC18/20 seems realistic.

That being said, I don't see Baylor or TCU invovled, the religious affilation seems to be a non starter.

_________________
Fan of the Big 12 Conference, the Mountain West Conference and...
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:33 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 1038
Religion isn't the problem. It's religion's impact on the institutional mission that is. It also doesn't help that they are smaller schools with no deep athletic legacy to them. If they were in the running for the Directors' Cup, like Stanford pretty much owns, they would get consideration.

Plus, never discount the "enemies." Baylor trying to box out Colorado from the Pac-16 plan probably won't be forgotten. Utah may not be fond of BU either, seeing as it may have been their spot Texas politics took from the Utes. BU in the SEC? Not a chance now with A&M. TCU didn't play all that kindly with other Texas schools after the SWC/B12 thing. It doesn't go unnoticed, especially in a group that prides itself on unity.

Religion is one thing, but "does not work well with others" is worse.

It's that reason that I kind of wish the Big XII would expand. To just...pay it forward to certain schools who have worked well with the conference and certain/most/all schools. I can respect shutting out a school like UConn or Louisville for being nasty to other programs over the years, but...what about schools like Wyoming, who appear on schedules for years...decades, really? Why isn't UNM in this thing afterbeing snubbed in the 90's? It just comes off as selfish when paired with trying to get a waiver for a CCG.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:43 am 
Offline
Sophomore
Sophomore

Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:01 pm
Posts: 59
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
It's that reason that I kind of wish the Big XII would expand. To just...pay it forward to certain schools who have worked well with the conference and certain/most/all schools. I can respect shutting out a school like UConn or Louisville for being nasty to other programs over the years, but...what about schools like Wyoming, who appear on schedules for years...decades, really? Why isn't UNM in this thing afterbeing snubbed in the 90's? It just comes off as selfish when paired with trying to get a waiver for a CCG.


Adding Wyoming and New Mexico would be an anchor around the necks of the top teams in the Big 12 in terms of strength of schedule. Even at their best, they probably wouldn't be .500 in any season in the Big 12. TV ratings wouldn't see any kind of bump from adding those schools. Recruiting in those states is also not very good. Okay let's be honest, recruiting in those states is horrible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:15 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 am
Posts: 188
hendu1976fl wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
It's that reason that I kind of wish the Big XII would expand. To just...pay it forward to certain schools who have worked well with the conference and certain/most/all schools. I can respect shutting out a school like UConn or Louisville for being nasty to other programs over the years, but...what about schools like Wyoming, who appear on schedules for years...decades, really? Why isn't UNM in this thing afterbeing snubbed in the 90's? It just comes off as selfish when paired with trying to get a waiver for a CCG.


Adding Wyoming and New Mexico would be an anchor around the necks of the top teams in the Big 12 in terms of strength of schedule. Even at their best, they probably wouldn't be .500 in any season in the Big 12. TV ratings wouldn't see any kind of bump from adding those schools. Recruiting in those states is also not very good. Okay let's be honest, recruiting in those states is horrible.


Adding Wyoming would be kind of a waste and an anchor like hendu said which is unfortunate because they've been around since 1892 and have a long history in football. I would rather see their major rival (Colorado St) come into the XII than Wyoming. New Mexico is a large school with a lot of potential. I wouldn't hate to see them eventually end up in either the XII or PAC.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:22 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 1038
Hey, before Texas politics got involved, one of the spots was UNM's. If they were good enough then, why not now?

For Wyoming, it's the longstanding good relationship the school had with Big 8 and SWC schools. Academically similar, too. Yeah, Wyoming isn't very good, but this used to be about working with schools you wanted to work with, or worked well enough with that it was easier to include them into the conference. Yeah, there are a lot of better programs you might want, but I got the impression Wyoming was such a staple on Big XII schedules, they might as well just be a member.

It's partly why I would never be surprised if Rice was invited. There's history there, and good ties between them and Austin.

These days, I think you don't see UNM in the conference because TTU isn't all that fond of them. If that's the case, why do you want to see the conference succeed? That's terrible protocol. TTU was one of the political favors the conference was forced to take...and now they stiff-arm others? It comes off worse than Seton Hall blocking Rutgers' other sports for the Big East back in the 90's. WTH?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:17 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 277
Location: Austin, Texas
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Hey, before Texas politics got involved, one of the spots was UNM's. If they were good enough then, why not now?

For Wyoming, it's the longstanding good relationship the school had with Big 8 and SWC schools. Academically similar, too. Yeah, Wyoming isn't very good, but this used to be about working with schools you wanted to work with, or worked well enough with that it was easier to include them into the conference. Yeah, there are a lot of better programs you might want, but I got the impression Wyoming was such a staple on Big XII schedules, they might as well just be a member.

It's partly why I would never be surprised if Rice was invited. There's history there, and good ties between them and Austin.

These days, I think you don't see UNM in the conference because TTU isn't all that fond of them. If that's the case, why do you want to see the conference succeed? That's terrible protocol. TTU was one of the political favors the conference was forced to take...and now they stiff-arm others? It comes off worse than Seton Hall blocking Rutgers' other sports for the Big East back in the 90's. WTH?


I don't recall Tech having problems with New Mexico. They have played many times in all sports.
Personally, I like New Mexico and their ability to fit in with conference style. I just worry that the priority is to get WVU more connected with the conference.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:37 am 
Offline
Sophomore
Sophomore

Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:01 pm
Posts: 59
I'm just a little curious about the perception Big 12 fans have of UCF. After the Fiesta Bowl, did we enhance our chances of getting an invite to the Big 12 if they were to decide to expand? I know a lot of talk on here is about Cincy and maybe BYU. I don't see BYU happening. Not because of the no Sunday thing. I heard they burned some bridges with some of the Corporate big wigs in the TV industry. I don't know how much of that is true, but I think if the Big 12 wanted BYU that bad, BYU would be in the Big 12 and TCU/West Virginia would still be in the American.

I think Cincy is probably #1 on the list of teams outside of the power 5. Solid football, solid basketball, really good TV market. #2 IMHO it's got to be a Florida school. 12-14 teams fishing in the same pond for recruits, it's a recipe for mediocrity. UCF has, for the moment, really good football, mediocre at best basketball on NCAA probation, and a top 20 tv market. USF has, for the moment at least, really bad football, mediocre basketball, and a top 15 tv market. Both reside in Florida which means the Big 12 would be in 2 of the top 3 states in terms of football recruits. Personally, I put it Florida #1, Texas #2, and California #3, but those rankings are open for debate on several criteria. #3, don't laugh, Memphis. No really, stop laughing. Excellent hoops, terrible football, top 50 tv market. Right now they would easily be the worst team in the Big 12 in terms of football. But I believe they are going to get better with their coach. They played a lot of freshmen this year, including their QB. They were in the game to the last few minutes against Louisville and they were in the game with UCF right up to the next to last play of the game. It would also help WV to some degree with travel. For a lot of fans in Oklahoma it would be a 6 hour road trip, which really isn't all that bad considering you could take the scenic I-40 trip (people who have traveled that road will get my sarcasm there).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:54 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 277
Location: Austin, Texas
hendu1976fl wrote:
I'm just a little curious about the perception Big 12 fans have of UCF. After the Fiesta Bowl, did we enhance our chances of getting an invite to the Big 12 if they were to decide to expand? I know a lot of talk on here is about Cincy and maybe BYU. I don't see BYU happening. Not because of the no Sunday thing. I heard they burned some bridges with some of the Corporate big wigs in the TV industry. I don't know how much of that is true, but I think if the Big 12 wanted BYU that bad, BYU would be in the Big 12 and TCU/West Virginia would still be in the American.

I think Cincy is probably #1 on the list of teams outside of the power 5. Solid football, solid basketball, really good TV market. #2 IMHO it's got to be a Florida school. 12-14 teams fishing in the same pond for recruits, it's a recipe for mediocrity. UCF has, for the moment, really good football, mediocre at best basketball on NCAA probation, and a top 20 tv market. USF has, for the moment at least, really bad football, mediocre basketball, and a top 15 tv market. Both reside in Florida which means the Big 12 would be in 2 of the top 3 states in terms of football recruits. Personally, I put it Florida #1, Texas #2, and California #3, but those rankings are open for debate on several criteria. #3, don't laugh, Memphis. No really, stop laughing. Excellent hoops, terrible football, top 50 tv market. Right now they would easily be the worst team in the Big 12 in terms of football. But I believe they are going to get better with their coach. They played a lot of freshmen this year, including their QB. They were in the game to the last few minutes against Louisville and they were in the game with UCF right up to the next to last play of the game. It would also help WV to some degree with travel. For a lot of fans in Oklahoma it would be a 6 hour road trip, which really isn't all that bad considering you could take the scenic I-40 trip (people who have traveled that road will get my sarcasm there).



Personally, I don't want UCF or BYU in the Big 12. Both are way too far away from the rest of the conference.
BYU especially, because they are the total opposite direction from WVU.
UCF....just about the same reason... they are just too far south.
Without WVU...either team could be a consideration. I just don't want the Big 12 to stretch from Florida to Utah.

If BYU wanted to be in a conference...they would be, right now. The fact is....they don't want to be in a conference. So be it. I am happy to drop them from the conversation.

UCF, has done really well in fb since they brought their team up from D III. If the Big 12 wanted 14 members....then I could see a way for UCF to be involved. I just don't believe that the Big 12 is looking to add three other schools.

Cincy is the best bet at this point in time. I hope we pick them up now. If the B1G can go with 11 members for quite a number of years...then I don't see why the Big 12 can't do it for the short term. Cincy would also help the conference by giving Kansas a running mate for the conference title in bb.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:13 pm 
Offline
Sophomore
Sophomore

Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:01 pm
Posts: 59
mozilla wrote:
hendu1976fl wrote:
I'm just a little curious about the perception Big 12 fans have of UCF. After the Fiesta Bowl, did we enhance our chances of getting an invite to the Big 12 if they were to decide to expand? I know a lot of talk on here is about Cincy and maybe BYU. I don't see BYU happening. Not because of the no Sunday thing. I heard they burned some bridges with some of the Corporate big wigs in the TV industry. I don't know how much of that is true, but I think if the Big 12 wanted BYU that bad, BYU would be in the Big 12 and TCU/West Virginia would still be in the American.

I think Cincy is probably #1 on the list of teams outside of the power 5. Solid football, solid basketball, really good TV market. #2 IMHO it's got to be a Florida school. 12-14 teams fishing in the same pond for recruits, it's a recipe for mediocrity. UCF has, for the moment, really good football, mediocre at best basketball on NCAA probation, and a top 20 tv market. USF has, for the moment at least, really bad football, mediocre basketball, and a top 15 tv market. Both reside in Florida which means the Big 12 would be in 2 of the top 3 states in terms of football recruits. Personally, I put it Florida #1, Texas #2, and California #3, but those rankings are open for debate on several criteria. #3, don't laugh, Memphis. No really, stop laughing. Excellent hoops, terrible football, top 50 tv market. Right now they would easily be the worst team in the Big 12 in terms of football. But I believe they are going to get better with their coach. They played a lot of freshmen this year, including their QB. They were in the game to the last few minutes against Louisville and they were in the game with UCF right up to the next to last play of the game. It would also help WV to some degree with travel. For a lot of fans in Oklahoma it would be a 6 hour road trip, which really isn't all that bad considering you could take the scenic I-40 trip (people who have traveled that road will get my sarcasm there).



Personally, I don't want UCF or BYU in the Big 12. Both are way too far away from the rest of the conference.
BYU especially, because they are the total opposite direction from WVU.
UCF....just about the same reason... they are just too far south.
Without WVU...either team could be a consideration. I just don't want the Big 12 to stretch from Florida to Utah.

If BYU wanted to be in a conference...they would be, right now. The fact is....they don't want to be in a conference. So be it. I am happy to drop them from the conversation.

UCF, has done really well in fb since they brought their team up from D III. If the Big 12 wanted 14 members....then I could see a way for UCF to be involved. I just don't believe that the Big 12 is looking to add three other schools.

Cincy is the best bet at this point in time. I hope we pick them up now. If the B1G can go with 11 members for quite a number of years...then I don't see why the Big 12 can't do it for the short term. Cincy would also help the conference by giving Kansas a running mate for the conference title in bb.

I do understand your concerns with the distance. But if the Big 12 is going to expand it is going to be for two reasons, TV markets and a conference championship game. They need to add 2 teams to get to 12. There is no reason to bring Cincy into the conference if you aren't going for 12. I don't think WVU minds the travel to Florida. They built their program off of a strong pipeline to Florida. Since that got shut off, they have struggled (also playing better teams week in and week out might have hurt them as well).
The Big 12 gaining a presence in Florida would mean a lot to Fox and maybe some of the other networks.
Back to the distance from the Big 12. We have been in a conference with schools from Texas and Oklahoma for many years now. Most likely, most OU and Texas fans would not travel for that game, but I can tell you first hand that both schools would be well represented in the stadium. Myself being an Okie from way back, I know lots of Sooner fans who live in the Central Florida area who would flock in mass to that game.

Recruiting at schools like Kansas and KSU, Iowa State and Okie State might also benefit from adding some big D-lineman that can run, which the state of Florida seems to have quite a few of those guys. Not that Texas doesn't have a lot of those guys, but it seems to me that everyone in the Big 12 fishes primarily in that pond. Branching out would probably help a lot of your programs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:55 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 277
Location: Austin, Texas
I agree that UCF has many positive attributes....and fits within the realignment requirements for almost any conference. And, I don't disagree that WVU would mind going into Fla for games.
I just don't want to spread the conference further than it already is. Think about Iowa State and Kansas State for travel....think they would be ok with it? I doubt it...but, can't say for certain. Maybe the benefits outway the expense??

Cincy is a quality school. Add them now....and when another school becomes available....then jump on them as well(no hurry). If it eventually turns out to be UCF, so be it. If the schools don't mind the travel....then who am I to complain?
I'm just not certain that UCF has more to offer than schools that are closer to the conference?? Such as: Tulane, ULL, Memphis, New Mexico, Air Force, Houston, SMU, Rice, Arkansas State, N. Illinois, Ohio, Marshall, etc.
Realistically, I don't have one clue what these conferences use to decide who gets an invite. Proximity doesn't seem to always be a big clincher.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:20 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 pm
Posts: 1405
I've said before, and I'll say it again.

Every school in the Big 12 is competitive at fb except Iowa St.

Think about it, UT, OU, Okie St, Baylor, Kansas, K State, West Virginia, and TCU have been to BCS games and Tech should have been in one in 2008 (1 loss 3 way tie with UT/OU).

What the Big 12 could honestly use it either some schools that it can shed at a later date like Cincy/UConn, or schools that make travel easier and boost academics like Rice/Tulane.

UCF is a good school and I respect their program, however I don't like them for the Big 12.

I also don't like Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Memphis, UTEP, UTSA, UNM, UNLV, CSU, BYU, Boise, SDSU, LA Tech, and USF

_________________
Fan of the Big 12 Conference, the Mountain West Conference and...
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:02 am 
Offline
Sophomore
Sophomore

Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:01 pm
Posts: 59
mozilla wrote:
I agree that UCF has many positive attributes....and fits within the realignment requirements for almost any conference. And, I don't disagree that WVU would mind going into Fla for games.
I just don't want to spread the conference further than it already is. Think about Iowa State and Kansas State for travel....think they would be ok with it? I doubt it...but, can't say for certain. Maybe the benefits outway the expense??

Cincy is a quality school. Add them now....and when another school becomes available....then jump on them as well(no hurry). If it eventually turns out to be UCF, so be it. If the schools don't mind the travel....then who am I to complain?
I'm just not certain that UCF has more to offer than schools that are closer to the conference?? Such as: Tulane, ULL, Memphis, New Mexico, Air Force, Houston, SMU, Rice, Arkansas State, N. Illinois, Ohio, Marshall, etc.
Realistically, I don't have one clue what these conferences use to decide who gets an invite. Proximity doesn't seem to always be a big clincher.


Like I said before, I don't disagree with you about the distance and travel. But Washington State does have to travel to Arizona just about every year. It doesn't seem to be killing them. Iowa State traveling to Florida would get more Florida kids exposure to Iowa State. I think ISU pulled 6 kids out of Florida last year. If they played down here every year, they might get even more. West Virginia played down here for years and built a very nice pipeline that helped them take their program to a consistent top 25 program. Schools like Iowa State and Kansas State could really benefit from coming down here and recruiting.

Of your list of schools that you think might be better fits, as a fan of college athletics, I really like Memphis. That being said, how would they help you in football. BBall, no question. That would be like adding Auburn in football. WVU would have a cow over Marshall. Arkansas St, Tulane, ULL, N Illinois, Ohio, and New Mexico would be doormats in the league for almost a decade. I agree that they are close geographically, but on a talent scale, they are about 10 rungs below Kansas (take away Lynch from N Illinois and they have nothing). Of the Texas schools, personally I like Houston and SMU, but all they do is take away from the next TV contract. If you want to continue making big bucks on those TV deals, you have to move away from your current footprint.

If the Big 12 is in no hurry to expand, why bring in Cincy right now? They certainly don't bring in 24 million in terms of a tv contract. That shellacking they got from North Carolina doesn't necessarily merit an invite does it. What is the upside to Cincy? In all honesty, I think they have hit their peak. I do not believe they could ever put a team on the field that could win a national championship in football. I'm not saying that UCF could either. But I do think Cincy has been playing division 1 football longer and has had the benefit of recruiting to a BCS league for far longer than UCF has.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:21 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 277
Location: Austin, Texas
hendu1976fl wrote:
mozilla wrote:
I agree that UCF has many positive attributes....and fits within the realignment requirements for almost any conference. And, I don't disagree that WVU would mind going into Fla for games.
I just don't want to spread the conference further than it already is. Think about Iowa State and Kansas State for travel....think they would be ok with it? I doubt it...but, can't say for certain. Maybe the benefits outway the expense??

Cincy is a quality school. Add them now....and when another school becomes available....then jump on them as well(no hurry). If it eventually turns out to be UCF, so be it. If the schools don't mind the travel....then who am I to complain?
I'm just not certain that UCF has more to offer than schools that are closer to the conference?? Such as: Tulane, ULL, Memphis, New Mexico, Air Force, Houston, SMU, Rice, Arkansas State, N. Illinois, Ohio, Marshall, etc.
Realistically, I don't have one clue what these conferences use to decide who gets an invite. Proximity doesn't seem to always be a big clincher.


Like I said before, I don't disagree with you about the distance and travel. But Washington State does have to travel to Arizona just about every year. It doesn't seem to be killing them. Iowa State traveling to Florida would get more Florida kids exposure to Iowa State. I think ISU pulled 6 kids out of Florida last year. If they played down here every year, they might get even more. West Virginia played down here for years and built a very nice pipeline that helped them take their program to a consistent top 25 program. Schools like Iowa State and Kansas State could really benefit from coming down here and recruiting.

Of your list of schools that you think might be better fits, as a fan of college athletics, I really like Memphis. That being said, how would they help you in football. BBall, no question. That would be like adding Auburn in football. WVU would have a cow over Marshall. Arkansas St, Tulane, ULL, N Illinois, Ohio, and New Mexico would be doormats in the league for almost a decade. I agree that they are close geographically, but on a talent scale, they are about 10 rungs below Kansas (take away Lynch from N Illinois and they have nothing). Of the Texas schools, personally I like Houston and SMU, but all they do is take away from the next TV contract. If you want to continue making big bucks on those TV deals, you have to move away from your current footprint.

If the Big 12 is in no hurry to expand, why bring in Cincy right now? They certainly don't bring in 24 million in terms of a tv contract. That shellacking they got from North Carolina doesn't necessarily merit an invite does it. What is the upside to Cincy? In all honesty, I think they have hit their peak. I do not believe they could ever put a team on the field that could win a national championship in football. I'm not saying that UCF could either. But I do think Cincy has been playing division 1 football longer and has had the benefit of recruiting to a BCS league for far longer than UCF has.


Excellent points.

And, I wasn't saying all the schools I listed were better than UCF or perfect for the Big 12....just saying that they all have different pluses and minuses that need to be evaluated.

With Cincy....they are in the perfect spot to shorten travel to and for WVU. They have a large student population, are in a great city, are competitive in sports, have good academics and quality tv market. They are about as good a fit as any other team available. That's why I go for them now. Go for them now...so that there is one less team to find later. We are trying to build back up to 12, right?

And again,....my only problem with UCF is location. You don't need to sell me more on them...that is my only issue.

As far as WSU traveling to Arizona. I understand your point...and agree. If the only direction that WSU had to travel was south...I wouldn't have a problem. The problem enlies when you make WSU travel in a totally different direction for other games....like towards Iowa. It's the double longdistance travel that makes it bad. So, to take the Big 12.....WVU is alright on its own...but, when you also throw a team in the opposite direction....that's too much. The Big 12 doesn't want to cover 3 fourths of the country.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3051 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195 ... 204  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 

 




Looking for College Sports apparel? Support our partner:








Support Our Partners: Search Engine Marketing - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Training - Online Marketing for Restuarants

Subway Map Shirts - Food and Travel

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group