NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:02 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1485 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:12 am 
All-Star
All-Star

pounder wrote:
So there's this:

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootba ... progr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Big Sky is generally smaller markets with the exception of Portland and Sacramento (and if you want to throw in Ogden / SLC, you can). I wonder if the Big Sky would still want Portland State if football goes away... but I also wonder if Portland State would rather partner with Seattle U and other urban schools in the WAC. Of course, will there be a WAC?

BTW, those of you who know PSU know that the basketball "gym" is smaller than most local high school gyms. However, the state is contributing money to the renovation/replacement project, so PSU is just getting the last few million cinched up to get this built: http://www.goviks.com/sports/2013/2/18/ ... spx?id=219" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSU can't just agree to play on grass w/ the Timbers? also it would make for a nice 12/12 Big Sky fb bball if they have to drop it. I hope Idaho being invited will allow PSU to stay w/o fb.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:20 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
PSU can't just agree to play on grass w/ the Timbers? also it would make for a nice 12/12 Big Sky fb bball if they have to drop it. I hope Idaho being invited will allow PSU to stay w/o fb.

I don't think grass is the prevailing issue anymore. The current stadium is downsized from its predecessor and still too big for Portland State, which also makes the rent kind of high. That's an expense that will become an issue sooner vice later (the lease is up as of about right now).

Still, let's say that PSU football can afford to play in JELD-WEN Field. Merritt Paulson actually envisioned having more events, he thought the turf he installed (and is currently replacing) was going to be the end of it. What he finds out is that Thierry Henry and David Beckham are barely inclined to play on the surface (at least Henry plays when the Red Bulls are in Portland; he won't play on the other turf surfaces in MLS). For some people that want to come to Portland, the turf is a negative just because it's turf... but they'd like a nice grass surface, too. He couldn't get a World Cup Qualifier in the stadium without a grass overlay, and he rightly surmised (knowing what's happened in Seattle) that the overlay damages the turf under it. It can't take the abuse of both. In Portland's situation, the stadium location (just barely built over an old creek bed) means it's not simply a matter of laying grass and everyone's happy. Paulson's still not sure he should go to grass, frankly. If it happens, it happens without Portland State football.

Portland State has not benefitted one iota from the other stadium improvements. The new "club seats" are empty, and at $50 a pop, and having paid for a game at Montana, I dare say that it's a cheap club seat for even this level. Visiting Montana and Montana State fans (neither of whom appeared this year due to conference expansion and scheduling) outnumber PSU fans in Portland. It's really to the chicken-and-egg point with PSU football... where's a target audience?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:52 pm 
Senior
Senior

Which current WAC school is most likely to start a fb program?

I would really like to know if Seattle has any chance of starting fb? They sponsor so many sports...just thought they might have the ability???

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:

I would really like to know if Seattle has any chance of starting fb? They sponsor so many sports...just thought they might have the ability???

I also think that Seattle would be one of the schools to have a chance of sponsoring football. However, there's no on-campus or off-campus related facility for the Redhawks to compete, except the home of the newly-crowned champ Seahawks (CenturyLink Field) and the on-campus stadium of the Washington Huskies (also located in Seattle).

But I think that Grand Canyon should start football. There is the University of Phoenix Stadium as a facility. Or how about UTPA (I mean UT-Rio Grande Valley)?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:15 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

I also think that Seattle would be one of the schools to have a chance of sponsoring football. However, there's no on-campus or off-campus related facility for the Redhawks to compete, except the home of the newly-crowned champ Seahawks (CenturyLink Field) and the on-campus stadium of the Washington Huskies (also located in Seattle).

But I think that Grand Canyon should start football. There is the University of Phoenix Stadium as a facility. Or how about UTPA (I mean UT-Rio Grande Valley)?

There are tons of High School stadiums around for schools to start out at. I don't believe there is such a lack of facilities...that it should prevent any school from sponsoring the sport. These schools won't need a 30k seat stadium, just to get started. They could easily use a 10k seat facility for their first few seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
There are tons of High School stadiums around for schools to start out at. I don't believe there is such a lack of facilities...that it should prevent any school from sponsoring the sport. These schools won't need a 30k seat stadium, just to get started. They could easily use a 10k seat facility for their first few seasons.

Fair enough. However, the other key factors for a non-football school to sponsor football are money and fan support. Look what happened to UN-Omaha. Economic budget issues cost the school to drop both football and wrestling in order to join D-I (and the Mavericks were a great D-II powerhouse in football). I believe that UNO should be on the conversation to the WAC as a expansion member.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:34 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

Fair enough. However, the other key factors for a non-football school to sponsor football are money and fan support. Look what happened to UN-Omaha. Economic budget issues cost the school to drop both football and wrestling in order to join D-I (and the Mavericks were a great D-II powerhouse in football). I believe that UNO should be on the conversation to the WAC as a expansion member.

Right, but what I'm asking is:
which of the schools have the fan support and finances to start fb?

What happened at UNO is that they chose to focus their limited funds on other sports. Which is their choice. That is completely different than a school that HAS the funds and fan support to pursue longevity in their program.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:

To be honest, I don't know which of the current WAC members do as of yet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

GCU will pursue football once it figures out basketball, but I think UTPA gets to it first.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Bakerfield JC has a nice 22K seat stadium and the area has great fb tradition(Fresno St. gets tons of players from there, the Carr Bros for example). So CS Bakersfield would be great but CA cuts fb, it doesn't add it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:13 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

GCU will pursue football once it figures out basketball, but I think UTPA gets to it first.

GCU is in pretty solid fb territory(Ariz and ASU).

Hard to know how the folding of two programs(UTPA/UTB) into one will proceed. They might not want to tackle fb this early in the process??

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Bakerfield JC has a nice 22K seat stadium and the area has great fb tradition(Fresno St. gets tons of players from there, the Carr Bros for example). So CS Bakersfield would be great but CA cuts fb, it doesn't add it.

Is it up to the campus or up to a centralized board?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:12 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

I always figured that Cal State Bakersfield has been waiting around for a Big West conference invite. With the Big West having 9 schools now i figure it's a matter of time before Bakersfield gets a invite.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
Hard to know how the folding of two programs(UTPA/UTB) into one will proceed. They might not want to tackle fb this early in the process??

I'd like to be a fly on the wall for those conversations, if they were happening. Over-saturation or good payoff (the fast rise of UTSA and TSU-SM)?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

46566 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

I always figured that Cal State Bakersfield has been waiting around for a Big West conference invite. With the Big West having 9 schools now i figure it's a matter of time before Bakersfield gets a invite.

Yeah, I wonder how long they'll wait for UCSD before settling for CSUB. The UC system are research institutions and the CSUs are teacher colleges so I can see why UCSD has dibs but hell the Big West has 4 UCs and 4 CSUs, take the one that wants to be w/ you. CSUB also has a 10K bball arena.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:53 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Recall that about 1 1/2 year ago (?), UCSD was contemplating a move to D-1, and conducted a student vote on raising an athletic fee to pay for the upgrade.
Had it passed, speculation was that the school would vote to move up to D-1 and a slot in the Big West ws waiting for them.
The vote failed (and it wasn't terribly close...).

CSU-B has been waiting there.... I think hte rap on them is hte quality of their facilities, but I have no first-hand knowledge of anything abot that school.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1485 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99  Next