Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:16 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: FCS to FBS
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:52 am 
Freshman
Freshman

There have been a lot moving lately, but I would like to put in one place those we know, and those thinking of moving.

Recent moves: Texas-San Antonio, Georgia State, South Alabama, UMass

In transition now: Old Dominion, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State

Those adding Football in 2014 who are already D1 (Assuming all will be FCS):

New Orleans, Kennesaw State, and East Tennessee State http://www.footballfoundation.org/News/ ... -2013.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those considering adding Football who are already DI:

Belmont University (Nashville, TN) - An article dated March 15, 2011 regarding the new football team at Stetson University mentioned that Belmont was also considering the addition of an intercollegiate football team. Belmont is presently a member of NCAA Division I for other sports. (source: http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/ ... all-league" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

Florida Gulf Coast University (Fort Myers, FL) - This college has recently considered the formation of an intercollegiate football team but (as of March 2011) will apparently not be doing so for at least several years, with the expense of adding such a team being the main reason. " 'Right now, it probably won’t work,' [Florida Gulf Coast University Board of Trustees Chairman Scott] Lutgert said. 'It’s probably 5-10 years down the road – 5-10 years down the road to make the decision to start doing it … that puts it at 10-15 years down the road.'” (source: http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews. ... r-a?blog=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

George Mason (Fairfax, VA) - GMU is apparently considering the addition of football as an intercollegiate sport during the next decade (source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/geo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Grand Canyon (Phoenix, AZ) - as I mentioned in my previous post.

High Point University (High Point, NC) - University president Nido Qubein has stated that football is "inevitable" at HPU, though it may be several years before a team comes to fruition. Land on which to build a stadium is one of the needs mentioned in this article.

Maryland-Eastern Shore (Princess Anne, MD) - This Historically Black college announced on September 20, 2012 the "formation of a task force to help the institution assess a study that outlines what fielding an NCAA Division I football team would take". UMES had a football team previously, which played its last season in 1979. (source: http://hbcusportscentral.com/2012/09/21 ... m-revival/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Virginia Commonwealth University (Richmond, VA) - As of February 2012 the university is reported to be considering the addition of football as an intercollegiate sport (source: http://www.nbc12.com/story/14219581/vcu ... f-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ).

University of West Florida (Pensacola, FL) - A "Football Feasibility Committee" is expected to meet for a final recommendation (about whether UWF should add football as an intercollegiate sport) on May 10, 2011 (source: http://www.goargos.com/page.asp?articleID=4450" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

Winthrop (Rock Hill, SC) - This college may be considering the addition of a varsity football team: "Recent estimates indicate starting an intercollegiate football team at Winthrop would be a multi-million dollar proposition –over $18 million, much of it in facilities costs, just to get to the first kick-off – with over $2.4 million in annual operating and scholarship costs after that. University President Anthony DiGiorgio said he created a task force last year to come up with those estimates, among other things, so he would have a detailed answer to a question he’s been hearing every autumn for some years: “What would it take for us to have football at Winthrop?” That task force -- part of a larger group doing a 10-year projection of prospects for the overall athletics program -- sees identifying the level of potential donor support as the first question to be answered in determining how feasible it might be for Winthrop to field an Eagles football team, DiGiorgio said Tuesday. To generate that discussion, DiGiorgio authorized Athletics Director Tom Hickman, who chairs the task force, to release to the public details of the cost estimates developed by the task force now, ahead of completion of the final report. That will enable the task force to take stock of the public reaction to the “real dollars and cents” part of the question, see what donor support might step forward, and make that assessment part of the task force report before it is finalized. “It’s the fundamental feasibility question that must be addressed before exploring such a step any further,” DiGiorgio said. “Where would the money come from? Over what period of time? Football these days is an extraordinarily expensive sport for an institution to offer as part of its athletics program. The start-up costs are daunting and the operating costs are formidable. For our type institution, gate receipts would constitute only a part of any realistic financial plan. There are capital costs, personnel costs, and scholarship costs to be considered – and all those come before the first kick-off. Public tax dollars aren’t available for this, and Winthrop has other priorities for whatever tax dollars are available anyway. That leaves donor and fan support as the principal bases of support to be assessed. We are in a fortunate situation at Winthrop now, in that our existing athletics program is on firm enough footing that we can look at this question.” (source: undated "Media Relations News Release" from the university, available at http://www.winthropeagles.com/upload/up ... evised.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Wisconsin-Milwaukee: This school, which had a football team in 1974 and earlier years, may be considering reinstating the sport: "UWM is paying a Washington, D.C., consulting firm $87,450 to put together a strategic sports plan for the school. Part of that study will look into the possibility of fielding a football team" (source: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/133066738.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , article dated November 2, 2011.)

Schools considering or rumored to be considering moves to FBS from FCS:

Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Delaware, Delaware State, James Madison, William and Mary, Villanova, Georgetown, Youngstown State, Cleveland State, Dayton, Southern Illinois, Eastern Illinois, Northern Iowa, Western Carolina, North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Northern Arizona, Sacramento State, and Eastern Washington. (of interest, Delaware State would be the first HBU school to make such a move)

Schools considering or rumored to be considering moves to Division I from Division II (not all have football):

Minnesota-Duluth, Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan, Lake Superior State, UC San Diego, Northwest Missouri State, Missouri-St. Louis, Missouri Western, Missouri Southern, Harding (AR), Grand Valley State, North Alabama, Pittsburg State (KS), Lincoln (MO & HBU), West Virginia State, St. Cloud State, Alaska - Fairbanks, Alaska - Anchorage, Western New Mexico, Mars Hill (NC).

Post subject: FCS to FBS
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:48 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Eastern Kentucky is reportedly considering FBS.

Post subject: Re: FCS to FBS
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:52 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

wbyeager wrote:
Eastern Kentucky is reportedly considering FBS.

Hmmm...I'm guessing that they are hoping for consideration from the Sunbelt. I don't know that EKU has the attendance for FBS--they aren't exactly a Montana, a JMU, a Delaware, or a North Dakota St.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:12 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Any thoughts on whether or not the rise of Grand Canyon University will open the door for other "for Profit" schools to make the move up?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:12 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Hamburger wrote:
Any thoughts on whether or not the rise of Grand Canyon University will open the door for other "for Profit" schools to make the move up?

I wouldn't think so, based on the schools that fit that criteria.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:43 pm 
Junior
Junior

I think at some point the NCAA has to decide when enough teams are enough, and stop allowing so many schools to join conferences. The NCAA needs to put a limit on how many schools can been in a conference. My thoughts on that is it should be no more then 16, no fewer than 12. Also i think that the NCAA needs to do away with FCS all together. Let the 10 FBS conferences each expaned to either the 16 or 12 member mark and then all other FCS schools should be put into D-2 football. They can still be D-1 in basketball and other sports but football should only be FBS and the 10 FBS conferences. NCAA should allow one big time expansion to occur over the next couple of years and then shut it down. From that point onward the only way a former (FCS) current D-2 school can move up to a FBS level is if one of the 10 FBS conferences that have less than the maximum 16 school can invite a D-2 team up, or if one of the FBS schools elect to go to D-2 for some reason. Just my thoughts! I know that the FCS is really the NCAA (D-1) football championship and not the BCS/ future Football Playoff, but if the NCAA did away with teh FCS maybe they can somehow get involved and eventually take control of the College Football Playoff and really have a NCAA National Champion of D-1 Football.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:55 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

hibbett2222 wrote:
I think at some point the NCAA has to decide when enough teams are enough, and stop allowing so many schools to join conferences. The NCAA needs to put a limit on how many schools can been in a conference. My thoughts on that is it should be no more then 16, no fewer than 12. Also i think that the NCAA needs to do away with FCS all together. Let the 10 FBS conferences each expaned to either the 16 or 12 member mark and then all other FCS schools should be put into D-2 football. They can still be D-1 in basketball and other sports but football should only be FBS and the 10 FBS conferences. NCAA should allow one big time expansion to occur over the next couple of years and then shut it down. From that point onward the only way a former (FCS) current D-2 school can move up to a FBS level is if one of the 10 FBS conferences that have less than the maximum 16 school can invite a D-2 team up, or if one of the FBS schools elect to go to D-2 for some reason. Just my thoughts! I know that the FCS is really the NCAA (D-1) football championship and not the BCS/ future Football Playoff, but if the NCAA did away with teh FCS maybe they can somehow get involved and eventually take control of the College Football Playoff and really have a NCAA National Champion of D-1 Football.

Then again, the Big 5 benefit from more FCS schools joining. They get to prove their point about their programs being on another level than the rest of FBS. And they have a point there.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:31 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:

Then again, the Big 5 benefit from more FCS schools joining. They get to prove their point about their programs being on another level than the rest of FBS. And they have a point there.

Also with the addition of the playoffs for FBS starting up next season, i think that the only distinction would be scholarships for football. I think there might be a possibility to have more movement between FCS to FBS. I could see the possibilities of having conferences moving up to create local bowls games.(assuming a expansion of the playoff happens to 8 schools) maybe something like the big sky moving up to fbs and creating bowl games in Portland, Washington and California against either MWC or PAC 12 schools. I e the bowl games possiably becoming more regionalized then they are now.

Also more FBS teams allow more teams that the big 5 beat up on with they could claim that they are beating "FBS" schools and not FCS.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:45 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Strange. How come that neither UALR or UTA are in Hamburger's list? Both of them did sponsor football in the past at one point.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!