NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:49 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: baseball realignment
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Boston Red Sox Manager, Terry Francona, thinks that realignment is not a bad idea. He seems to like the idea of two even leagues with 15 teams a piece and no divisions with 3 team making the playoffs and another 2 wild cards having a play-in series.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/blog/boston/re ... a-bad-idea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:36 am 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
Boston Red Sox Manager, Terry Francona, thinks that realignment is not a bad idea. He seems to like the idea of two even leagues with 15 teams a piece and no divisions with 3 team making the playoffs and another 2 wild cards having a play-in series.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/blog/boston/re ... a-bad-idea

I expect no less from him. He'd be ok with the Yankees moving to the NL? So he'd be ok with a Yankees-Red Sox match up once a year?

If they do eliminate divisions I would assume that implies that they will have to play every team and equal number of times. I'm guessing but that means 10 games vs 14 league teams (140 games) and 22 interleague games. If they wanted they could do 9 vs 14 league teams (126) and 36 interleague games (or cut the season to whatever they wanted. Regardless, I can't imagine only playing the Dodgers 9 or 10 times a year and in place of those other 8 or 9 games adding the Pirates and Astros. That would be horrible and not to mention bad for attendance.

Also, if you are playing 10 games, you would have to play a 3 game series and a 2 game series at home and on the road. I for one don't like the idea of playing a two game series that often.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:21 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN and the Commish on realignment mostly just 2 leagues of 15 and an extra wildcard spot
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/67635 ... he-horizon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:53 am 
All-Star
All-Star

LOTS O LINK OF MLB REALINGMENT AND ASTROS POSSIBLE MOVE TO AL WEST AND RANGER'S OPINION ON THE MOVE
http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/6/12/22197 ... ring-it-on
http://houston.sbnation.com/2011/6/12/2 ... ue-fosters
http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/20 ... l_imba.php
http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/20 ... be-for-it/
http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetai ... nterested/
http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2011/6/14/ ... a-bad-idea
http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2011/6/13/2 ... ealignment
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... -fairness/
http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2011/6/13/2 ... ealignment
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... ings110617
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06/29 ... spike.html
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=14415
http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/6/30/22531 ... os-rangers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Its official Astros to the AL West and adding an extra wild card...

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball ... nt/1202202

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:25 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Not sure how Houston was induced into this move, but it's certainly for the greater good of MLB.

My opinions: MLB has suffered from some bizzare structural issues, that need to get fixed.
It has been / continues to address some of these...

1. AL and NL had different strike zones (NL was bottom of knees to just above belt, AL was top of knees to letters)
AL umps stood directly behind catcher, NL umps peaked over catcher's inside shoulder.

When umpires went on stirke and umpire union was broken, MLB rehired umps as MLB umps.
They sent all umps to a school to learn a standardized strike zone.
The home plate umpire stance was standardized to the AL (directly behind the catcher, looking over the catcher's head).
All MLB parks are now equipped with the automated pitch tracking, and MLB reviews home plate umpires and grades them on their calls of balls / strikes.
FIXED !!!

2. When MLB went to 30 teams, Selig was told unless each league had even number of teams, htere would be constant BYEs.
Correct unless you have inter-league play year-round. At the time inter-league play was in experimental mode,
So Selig decided that one league would need to have 16 teams and one 14 teams, and he "gratiously" moved his Brewers to the NL.
This solved the problem with BYEs, but led to some grossly unfair situations.
AL West had 4 teams, NL Central had 6 teams. Clearly an NL Central team faced a competitive disadvantage.
This also led to teams having non-standard schedules.

The new CBA moves Houston (probably the best choice) to the AL West.
KC might also have been a possibility, but this still would have required an NL -> AL move.
Now all divisions have 5, both leagues have 15.
On a typical night, here will be 7 AL vs. AL games, 7 NL vs. NL games, and 1 AL vs. NL game.
It is also possible to have 6 AL vs., AL games, 6 NL vs. NL games, and 3 AL vs. NL games.

The schedulers have not yet released the new format, however the following is now possible:
vs. 4 teams within your division: 9H, 9A = 18 x 4 = 72 games
vs. 10 other teams in your league: 3H, 3A = 6 x 10 = 60 games
vs. one of the 5 team divisions in ohter league (rotates every 3 years): 3H, 3A = 6 X 5 = 30 games
72 + 60 + 30 = 162 games
(a fairly balanced schedule - everyone within a given division plays the same opponents the same number of games).

This has the potential to fix the schedule much like the NFL has.

3. Like the DH or not, it's eally awkward to have different rules fo rthe different leagues.
MLB needs to have EITHER the NL adopt the DH, or the AL drop it.
I don't care, but it's stupid right now.
The one games that screams for a DH is the All-Star Games.
NOBODY, but NOBODY wants to watch a pitcher bat during an All-Star Game.
Everyone wants to see this best hitters go bat against the best pitchers.
Originally I didn't care for the DH, but MLB needs to market baseball as MLB, not 2 separate leagues with different rules.
Flip a coin, standardize the rule, and move on. Apparently the MLBPA likes the DH, as it lets some aging sluggers hang around.
That is reasonably popular, and most fans like to see a bit more offense, so if the Union demands the DH, so be it.

4. The one game playoff between the 2 Wild Cards is too short. Very quickly, you will see some bizarre unintended consequences of this.
It provides an incentive to rest the team's one ace. A Wild card with an ace, is far better off that a superior all-around team.
If it is apparent that you will be a Wild Card, you will tank games at the end of the season, and set your rotation.
The pitching ace MUST be conserved.
Two teams in a close race for the division must make a hard choice, whether to use the ace at the end in an effeort to win the division,
or possibly concede the division and preserve the ace for the 1-game Wild Card playoff.
This kind of thing will ABSOLUTLEY occur very quickly, and I predict there will quickly be a push to expand the Wild Card round to at least best 2/3.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

They got the Astros to move because they were in the process of selling the team and needed MLB's approval and they also knocked 70 million off the debt that the team owed the MLB (many were calling this a discount) which helped facilitated the sell.

1. Great example of how things can get fixed...

2. Is just horrible...
KC would have been a bad choice, Houston made the most sense, the AL West has Seattle, an LA and Bay Area California team and the Rangers in DFW...KC would have made it ridiculous. Just look at a map the NL Central is now more compact and the AL West didn't get too far out of control...this worked but cutting 2 teams or adding 2 teams would have been better. 15-15 is odd. They should have just added teams in San Antonio and Las Vegas or Salt Lake City and Charlotte and made 2 divisions in two leagues.

I don't care about interleague play one way or another but why rock the boat if you don't have too, hard core fans will get mad and casual fans don't care one way or the other...

3. The DH should just be adopted by both leagues, purist be damned...offense drives ratings, the NFL has been putting in rules to facilitate offense by protecting the QBs and WRs for years and it has become the model for all other sports, and baseball should follow suit. Also the DH speeds up the game, having the managers play a chess match with pitchers/batters takes way to long and get real old real fast. And personally I would rather see an over the hill sluggers bat one out of the park than watch a good pitchers strike out so he can go another two innings...

4. Couldn't agree more...2/3 is the only way to go; they could play the first game at the lower ranked team's home field on Thursday(AL)/Friday(NL) and then a double header (if necessary) at the higher ranked team's field on Saturday(AL)/Sunday(NL) and then the Divisional Series could start on Monday(AL)/Tuesday(NL) as scheduled with little to no changes. This gives the divisional winners a well deserved rest and tires out the Wild Cards a bit which makes it less likely that they can win the whole thing...

It just makes sense WS 7 games, CS 7 games, DS 5 games, WC 3 games, and a 1 game playoff for Wildcard ties (just like they do now)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:46 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

My Dream MLB:
East
Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
New York Mets
Philly

Northeast
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Detroit

Southeast
Atlanta
Miami
Tampa
Baltimore

Great Lakes
Cincy
Chicago Cubs
Chicago W.SOX
Louisville Sluggers*

Midwest Heartland
St.Louis
KC
Minnesota
Houston

Southwest
Texas
Arizona
Denver
San Deigo

Pacific
LA Angles
LA Dodgers
Vancouver*
Seattle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:01 am 
Senior
Senior

Peter Hunt wrote:
My Dream MLB:
East
Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
New York Mets
Philly

Northeast
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Detroit

Southeast
Atlanta
Miami
Tampa
Baltimore

Great Lakes
Cincy
Chicago Cubs
Chicago W.SOX
Louisville Sluggers*

Midwest Heartland
St.Louis
KC
Minnesota
Houston

Southwest
Texas
Arizona
Denver
San Deigo

Pacific
LA Angles
LA Dodgers
Vancouver*
Seattle

You took out BOTH Bay Area teams?! Good God! You are now my least favorite person on this board!

Also, you only have 7 divisions. Maybe you meant to put SF and Oakland (or hopefully soon San Jose) with the two LA teams and have a Northwest division with Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, and one other?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:36 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Peter Hunt wrote:
My Dream MLB:
East
Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
New York Mets
Philly

Northeast
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Detroit

Southeast
Atlanta
Miami
Tampa
Baltimore

Great Lakes
Cincy
Chicago Cubs
Chicago W.SOX
Louisville Sluggers*

Midwest Heartland
St.Louis
KC
Minnesota
Houston

Southwest
Texas
Arizona
Denver
San Deigo

Pacific
LA Angles
LA Dodgers
Vancouver*
Seattle

You took out BOTH Bay Area teams?! Good God! You are now my least favorite person on this board!

Also, you only have 7 divisions. Maybe you meant to put SF and Oakland (or hopefully soon San Jose) with the two LA teams and have a Northwest division with Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, and one other?

Thanks for pointing that out, My mind was somewhere else and I forgot the Bay area. I also forgot washington. Where is my head!

NorthEast
Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
New York Mets
Toronto

East
Philly
Pittsburgh
Washington
Baltimore

Southeast
Atlanta
Miami
Tampa
Louisville Sluggers*

Great Lakes
Cincy
Chicago Cubs
Chicago W.SOX
Cleveland

North
St.Louis
Detriot
Milwaukee
Minnesota

Midwest
Texas
Houston
Denver
K.C

Pacific
Arizona
SD
LA Angles
LA Dodgers

Northwest
SF
Oakland
Vancouver Whales*
Seattle

Post subject: baseball realignment
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:54 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

AL West
Los Angeles Angels
Seattle
Oakland
Salt Lake*

AL South
Tampa Bay
Charlotte*
Texas
Baltimore

AL East
New York Yankees
Boston
Toronto
Cleveland

AL North
Minnesota
Kansas City
Chicago White Sox
Detroit

NL West
Los Angeles Dodgers
San Diego
San Francisco
Arizona

NL South
Atlanta
Miami
Houston
Washington

NL East
New York Mets
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati

NL North
Milwaukee
St. Louis
Chicago Cubs
Colorado

Lexington (KY) moves up from A to AAA to replace Charlotte in the IL. One of Portland (OR) or Escondido (CA) replace Salt Lake in the PCL.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If you want a Twitter follow recommendation on baseball issues, @BizballMaury isn't half bad. You can kind of blame him for the following.

There is nowhere in America where MLB can expand that doesn't cut into someone else's TV revenue. The nation is divvied up, teams make money off regions, and therefore it will take a catastrophic failure by MLB or a team in order to have an orderly relocation, never mind expansion.

Also, consider the possibility that the attempted contraction made it near impossible for a city to justify a new ballpark. Baseball placed itself in a bit of a trench.

Mexico is impractical for financial realities at present. Vancouver screwed themselves more than once, BTW. Many people think a return to Montreal is a possibility if Tampa doesn't get anything solved, and that might change an equation or two. However, that's the extent of possibilities for MLB.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:53 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
The schedulers have not yet released the new format, however the following is now possible:
vs. 4 teams within your division: 9H, 9A = 18 x 4 = 72 games
vs. 10 other teams in your league: 3H, 3A = 6 x 10 = 60 games
vs. one of the 5 team divisions in ohter league (rotates every 3 years): 3H, 3A = 6 X 5 = 30 games
72 + 60 + 30 = 162 games
(a fairly balanced schedule - everyone within a given division plays the same opponents the same number of games).

This has the potential to fix the schedule much like the NFL has.

Love the format as I quoted from tute. However, with Houston now in the AL West, I believe the following format should be the following, which the MLB staff hasn't yet realized:

League play; Division play: Each team will play with all of their four rival teams within the division 12 times (in 16 total series; 8 home, 8 away) – 24 home (4 * 6), 24 away (4 * 6) – for a total of 48 Intra-Division games (4 * 12 = 48).
League play; Out-of-Division play: Each team will play all ten teams of the other two divisions within the same league six times (in 20 total series; 10 home, 10 away) – 30 home (10 * 3), 30 away (10 * 3) – for a total of 60 Out-of-Division games (10 * 6 = 60).
Inter-League play, Cross-Division play: Each team will play all 5 teams of the same division from the other league six times (in 10 total series; 5 home, 5 away) – 15 home (5 * 3), 15 away (5 * 3) – for a total of 30 Inter-League, Cross-Division games (5 * 6 =30).
Inter-League play, Non-Cross-Division Play: Each team will play all 10 teams of the other two divisions from the other league three times (in 10 total series; 5 home, 5 away) – 15 home, 15 away – for a total of 30 Inter-League, Non-Cross-Division games (10 * 3 =30).

48 + 60 + 30 + 30 = 168 games

Lemme know your thoughts.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:34 pm 
Junior
Junior

Completely Radical Realignment

Do it like the European soccer leagues:

-All 30 teams (no leagues or divisions)
-Double round robin (3 H, 3 A vs. everyone)
-174 games
-No playoffs (Top team is the champ)
-Season would last two more weeks in to the middle of October but there would be no more late October games in MIN or CLE
-6 more home games for each team
-Schedule would be completely fair
-Even with 162 games, teams rarely get too separated from one another (I heard an quote one time that went something like "No matter what, you will win a third of your games and lose a third of your games. It's how you do in the final third that determines how good you are."
-Teams could be out of it really early in the year if they are terrible even though that does happen now (Cubs)
-I would only have to watch ESPN come to a screeching halt only two weekends a year when the Red Sox and Yankees play

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:08 am 
All-Star
All-Star

^ No disrespect Hickory, but THAT is one radical format in general. Having MLB to go European "football" rules? C'mon!

However, I prefer with the following:

1. - American League

1.1. - AL East

1.1.1. - AL East - Atlantic: Baltimore, Boston, NY Yankees, Toronto
1.1.2. - AL East - Central: Charlotte (expansion), Cleveland, Detroit, Tampa Bay

1.2. - AL West

1.2.1. - AL West - Midwest: Chicago W. Sox, Kansas City, Minnesota, Texas
1.2.2. - AL West - Pacific: Anaheim, Arizona, Oakland, Seattle

2. - National League

2.1. - NL East

2.1.1. - NL East - Atlantic: Washington, Philadelphia, NY Mets, Montreal (returning expansion)
2.1.2. - NL East - Central: Atlanta, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Miami

2.2. - NL West

2.2.1. - NL West - Midwest: Chicago Cubs, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Houston
2.2.2. - NL West - Pacific: LA Dodgers, Colorado, San Franciso, San Diego

How about something similar to the NFL? But in the meantime, I'll keep the 162-game style in a season. By the way, Since East and West are divisions, I will call the groups of each division as sections or pods. And just for the record, I assure that there will be no 4-game series (leaving a day-off per week):

a.) League-play, Division-play, Section/Pod-play: 3 x 18g (6s) = 54g (18s) - Each team will face its section rivals 18 times in 6 3-game series (3 home and 3 road)
b.) League-play, Division-play, Non-Section/Pod-play: 4 x 12g (4s) = 48g (16s) - Each team will face its division rivals from other section 12 times in 4 3-game series (2 home and 2 road)
c.) League-play, Non-Division-play: 8 x 6g (4s) = 48g (16s) - Each team will face its league rivals from other division 6 times in 2 3-game series (1 home and 1 road)

Now, for some interleague play. Keep in mind that it'll be under this formula: 4 x 3g (1s) = 12g (4s)

Year 1 - Teams from a particular division and section will face the 4 teams of that similar section/pod of that same division from the other league.

i.e. AL East - Atlantic vs. NL East - Atlantic
i.e. AL East - Central vs. NL East - Central
i.e. AL West - Midwest vs. NL West - Midwest
i.e. AL West - Pacific vs. NL West - Pacific

Year 2- Teams from a particular section will face the 4 teams of that similar section/pod from the other league.

i.e. AL East - Atlantic vs. NL East - Central
i.e. AL East - Central vs. NL East - Atlantic
i.e. AL West - Midwest vs. NL West - Pacific
i.e. AL West - Pacific vs. NL West - Midwest

Year 3 - Teams from a particular division and section will face the 4 teams of the other section/pod of the other division from the other league.

i.e. AL East - Atlantic vs. NL East - Midwest
i.e. AL East - Central vs. NL East - Pacific
i.e. AL West - Midwest vs. NL West - Atlantic
i.e. AL West - Pacific vs. NL West - Central

Year 4 - See the Year 3 sub-section.

i.e. AL East - Atlantic vs. NL East - Pacific
i.e. AL East - Central vs. NL East - Midwest
i.e. AL West - Midwest vs. NL West - Central
i.e. AL West - Pacific vs. NL West - Atlantic

Keep in mind that section changes will rotate on a 4-year basis, while home/road changes will rotate on an 8-year basis. And it'll still retain the 162 games in a season.

P.S.: With the playoff format, I would prefer the 4 division champs, plus the 4 at-large teams based on best win-loss record within division. And the following rounds will be like this:

LWCS - League Wild Card Series (best-of-3; 1-1-1)
LDS - League Division Series (best-of-5; 2-2-1)
LCS - League Championship Series (best-of-7; 2-3-2)
WS - World Series (best-of-7; 2-3-2)a

Any thoughts?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9