NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:55 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
Has anyone heard whether or not UNO or Valpo are ready to increase their involvement in fb?

Not that I heard of yet to be honest.

fighting muskie wrote:
UNO having football would certainly make taking over the MVFC easier--it would likely give the Summit the 7th football member they'd need to sponsor the sport outright, with or without Youngstown St and the MVC schools. As far as divisions go for football and Olympic sports it would ultimately depend on what the final membership roster looked like. Maybe throw the 4 Dakota schools and the 2 Colorado schools in one division and everyone else in the other. As far as football goes, if the Summit and MVFC could find a way to swing it--and it would probably involve involving Pioneer League schools and DII upgrades--they might want to consider growing to the point that they have enough members to sponsor 2 9-team FCS leagues:

Summit: UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNO, N Colo., St Cloud St, Minnesota St-Mankato, WIU
MVC: Y'town St, Indiana St, Valpo, Butler, SIU, Illinois St, UNI, Drake, Missouri St

I know, huh? It would be very easier for the Summit to have enough schools to sponsor football. But UN-Omaha sadly "fumbled the ball" when they decided to "muff" on the great traditional sport within the Mavericks' athletic program. And for what, for Title IX or something? They could still join the Summit League last season with football in the MVFC.

But I do like your other projections. It would be amazing if both the MVC and the Summit to re-sponsor football, but re-chartering as FCS conferences. It would be beneficial to be mixed-up hybrid conferences. Plus, Wichita State should plan to re-instate football and eventually join it on the MVC with the other MVC schools.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:49 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
Has anyone heard whether or not UNO or Valpo are ready to increase their involvement in fb?

Valpo's unlikely to. It might help them for MVC considerations if they did (as I suspect Missouri State, Illinois State, and Wichita State could be moving in the future), but it's still more of a loss on the western side of the conference, with little need to fill in on the eastern front.

I think Valpo tries to emulate what Davidson did, and applies to the A10, skipping MVC. That way, they can keep football in the Pioneer, like Dayton and Davidson do, and former member Butler also does, without the potential pressure to upgrade football for better considerations.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:55 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
mozilla wrote:

Valpo's unlikely to. It might help them for MVC considerations if they did (as I suspect Missouri State, Illinois State, and Wichita State could be moving in the future), but it's still more of a loss on the western side of the conference, with little need to fill in on the eastern front.

I think Valpo tries to emulate what Davidson did, and applies to the A10, skipping MVC. That way, they can keep football in the Pioneer, like Dayton and Davidson do, and former member Butler also does, without the potential pressure to upgrade football for better considerations.

Interesting thoughts.

Where do you see those MVC schools moving to?

Loss on the west......Well, unfortunately...there aren't many schools to fill in with in that sector.
Might only be able to fill in...towards the east??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:05 am 
Freshman
Freshman

mozilla wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Well Muskie, I agree with you except on some parts. Nebraska-Omaha must bring football back to join the MVFC-absorbed Summit football league. To counter-part UNO (in the West), have former Summit/current Horizon member Valparaiso join for football from the PFL (in the East). I assume that Youngstown St (Horizon), Indiana St. (MVC), Illinois St. (MVC), Missouri St. (MVC), Southern Illinois (MVC) and Northern Iowa (MVC) would be the Summit's affiliate members; while the non-football members will be Denver, IUPUI, IPFW and Oral Roberts. How would you put division play for the Summit for other sports (with the 5 possible candidates)?

Hey everyone. I'm a UNO fan that's been following this thread and Summit League re-alignment in general.

I can tell you that UNO will not be offering football anytime in the near future. In fact, I don't see football being played at UNO ever again. Their facility, Al Caniglia Field, has been converted to a soccer stadium. They took out the football turf last year and put in a state of the art soccer pitch that is now home to both their mens and womens teams. UNO is all in on soccer now.

http://www.omavs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?D ... =209293705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The administaration claims football was too expensive for UNO. They basically said they were losing so much money on it, it was either drop football and go D-I in the rest of their sports, or just drop sports completely.

You never say never on anything, but I can't imagine they'd have torn out the football playing surface and put in a FIFA regulation soccer pitch if there was any chance football would return.

There are still quite a few hurt feelings over the loss of football and wrestling. Most of the big time football donors and alums had their falling out with the athletic department when that decision was made. I wouldn't count on UNO for any future conference plans for football. It's sad, but that's the reality of it.

Last edited by nousefouraname on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:07 am 
All-Star
All-Star

@nousefouraname - Well, I can understand and respect your opinion about it, despite being a reality. So thanks for sharing the hard, cold facts about UNO as a "pure" non-football all-sports institution. But in my opinion, I think it sucks because it was the worst action that UNO has ever made. It's like the WAC dropping the sport because most of its now-former members went to other conferences.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:02 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
@nousefouraname - Well, I can understand and respect your opinion about it, despite being a reality. So thanks for sharing the hard, cold facts about UNO as a "pure" non-football all-sports institution. But in my opinion, I think it sucks because it was the worst action that UNO has ever made. It's like the WAC dropping the sport because most of its now-former members went to other conferences.

I agree to an extent. I went to UNO and regularly attended football games throughout my college years and all the way until they ended the program. It truly hurt to see that program end. It also hurt to see them take down the retired numbers, including Marlin Briscoe (first African American QB in NFL history) when they converted Caniglia Field to a soccer stadium. It felt like decades of tradition were simply swept under the rug.

The problem is UNO has become completely hockey centric. I'd be in the minority of UNO sports fans on this, but I believe they've become too hockey centric. Hockey is their money maker, no doubt about it, but at this point nearly every decision regarding the athletic program are made with a hockey first mentality and sometimes the other sports are forgotten in the process.

I have no doubt that football was losing tons of money. That isn't really even debateable; however, UNO fans suffered through decades of totally incompetent administrators both on the academic and athletic level that either didn't care about athletics or were downright stealing from athletics. There was a huge scandal where the former chancellor and her top aide were literally using athletics as a personal slush fund. It was ugly and a number of good people in the athletic department lost their jobs due to the transgressions of a few.

The new chancellor and athletic director are good people, who I truly believe have the best interests of the athletic department in mind, but they were stuck between a rock and a hard place from the get go. They were basically told by the board of regents to make athletics solvent at UNO, or the whole program could be ended. The model of having hockey at D-I and the other sports at D-2 was no longer feasible, so they had to move to D-I. Yet, you had a football program that was hemorragging money. It's easy to see why that was the case as no athletic director at UNO had made it a priority to grow the fanbase in the previous 30 years despite the fact that the 90's and early 00's were arguably the most successful period in program history. So, you had a program at D-2 drawing 3-5k a game and losing roughly $3 million a year. They would have lost even more at the FCS level given increased scholarship and travel costs. Any move to FCS would have required the addition of more scholarships unless they somehow moved to the Patriot League. That was an option I pushed for, at least to give the program time to try to become solvent, but the powers that be within the University of Nebraska system never really even explored it.

It was all about moving to D-I, getting the program out of the red, and ultimately ensuring the futures of hockey and basketball enough to get a new on campus arena built which is now about to happen. Football and wrestling were doomed from the second they chose to make the move, sadly. Soccer and golf were cheaper cost cutting measures that helped to get the program out of insolvency. I say R.I.P. UNO football; however, as a fan of UNO basketball, hockey, soccer, and baseball, there's alot to be excited about. The move to D-I is already paying dividends. We will have that new on campus arena and there are rumors of an on campus baseball facility coming. We have already won a Summit League Championship in baseball. We have a top 150 RPI basketball team this year...and as painful as it is, the converted football facility will help us build a competitive soccer team for years to come.

I can truly say that the Summit League has been an amazing experience for UNO...and UNO has held up its end of the bargain for the Summit League. Despite my doubts and the unfortunate losses of football and wrestling, it's been a match made in heaven.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

nousefouraname wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

I agree to an extent. I went to UNO and regularly attended football games throughout my college years and all the way until they ended the program. It truly hurt to see that program end. It also hurt to see them take down the retired numbers, including Marlin Briscoe (first African American QB in NFL history) when they converted Caniglia Field to a soccer stadium. It felt like decades of tradition were simply swept under the rug.

The problem is UNO has become completely hockey centric. I'd be in the minority of UNO sports fans on this, but I believe they've become too hockey centric. Hockey is their money maker, no doubt about it, but at this point nearly every decision regarding the athletic program are made with a hockey first mentality and sometimes the other sports are forgotten in the process.

I have no doubt that football was losing tons of money. That isn't really even debateable; however, UNO fans suffered through decades of totally incompetent administrators both on the academic and athletic level that either didn't care about athletics or were downright stealing from athletics. There was a huge scandal where the former chancellor and her top aide were literally using athletics as a personal slush fund. It was ugly and a number of good people in the athletic department lost their jobs due to the transgressions of a few.

The new chancellor and athletic director are good people, who I truly believe have the best interests of the athletic department in mind, but they were stuck between a rock and a hard place from the get go. They were basically told by the board of regents to make athletics solvent at UNO, or the whole program could be ended. The model of having hockey at D-I and the other sports at D-2 was no longer feasible, so they had to move to D-I. Yet, you had a football program that was hemorragging money. It's easy to see why that was the case as no athletic director at UNO had made it a priority to grow the fanbase in the previous 30 years despite the fact that the 90's and early 00's were arguably the most successful period in program history. So, you had a program at D-2 drawing 3-5k a game and losing roughly $3 million a year. They would have lost even more at the FCS level given increased scholarship and travel costs. Any move to FCS would have required the addition of more scholarships unless they somehow moved to the Patriot League. That was an option I pushed for, at least to give the program time to try to become solvent, but the powers that be within the University of Nebraska system never really even explored it.

It was all about moving to D-I, getting the program out of the red, and ultimately ensuring the futures of hockey and basketball enough to get a new on campus arena built which is now about to happen. Football and wrestling were doomed from the second they chose to make the move, sadly. Soccer and golf were cheaper cost cutting measures that helped to get the program out of insolvency. I say R.I.P. UNO football; however, as a fan of UNO basketball, hockey, soccer, and baseball, there's alot to be excited about. The move to D-I is already paying dividends. We will have that new on campus arena and there are rumors of an on campus baseball facility coming. We have already won a Summit League Championship in baseball. We have a top 150 RPI basketball team this year...and as painful as it is, the converted football facility will help us build a competitive soccer team for years to come.

I can truly say that the Summit League has been an amazing experience for UNO...and UNO has held up its end of the bargain for the Summit League. Despite my doubts and the unfortunate losses of football and wrestling, it's been a match made in heaven.

Then UNO should have stayed in D-II instead of moving to D-I altogether, OR perish the entire athletic program in the process so it can be merged with another nearby campus within the Univ. of Nebraska system (if them staff members wanted to solve up economically).

And no wonder most of the Western universities that are NOT from the Pac-12 or former-WAC or MW no longer sponsor football, because of high economic issues. Look at Pacific, UC-Santa Barbara, Cal St.-Fullerton, Cal St.-Long Beach. All of them who once sponsored football had put it down the drain.

Don't wanna sound sarcastic, but I hope within years to come that the UNO academic and athletic staff will plan to reconsider on re-instating those sports (which are truly pure tradition for the school) in the far future; just as long as they feel "comfortable" with their current status as a "pure" non-football all-sports institution, regardless of its recent success on certain sports (like you mentioned it, currently a Summit League conference title on baseball). Because that's what UNO has totally become!

Oh, I almost forgot. Since UNO is on D-I, how come that they don't have a basketball arena that's at least 5,000 or 7,500 in terms of capacity yet (as it's required by most D-I FBS conferences who sponsor basketball)?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:59 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
nousefouraname wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

Then UNO should have stayed in D-II instead of moving to D-I altogether, OR perish the entire athletic program in the process so it can be merged with another nearby campus within the Univ. of Nebraska system (if them staff members wanted to solve up economically).

And no wonder most of the Western universities that are NOT from the Pac-12 or former-WAC or MW no longer sponsor football, because of high economic issues. Look at Pacific, UC-Santa Barbara, Cal St.-Fullerton, Cal St.-Long Beach. All of them who once sponsored football had put it down the drain.

Don't wanna sound sarcastic, but I hope within years to come that the UNO academic and athletic staff will plan to reconsider on re-instating those sports (which are truly pure tradition for the school) in the far future; just as long as they feel "comfortable" with their current status as a "pure" non-football all-sports institution, regardless of its recent success on certain sports (like you mentioned it, currently a Summit League conference title on baseball). Because that's what UNO has totally become!

Oh, I almost forgot. Since UNO is on D-I, how come that they don't have a basketball arena that's at least 5,000 or 7,500 in terms of capacity yet (as it's required by most D-I FBS conferences who sponsor basketball)?

Just to address a couple of your thoughts there.

1. somehow I think I deleted my previous post when trying to edit it, but to recap: I mentioned that UNO will likely never return to playing football. They have taken their football turf out, leveld the playing surface and installed a field turf surface that is considered one of the best in the country for college soccer and is supposed to be getting a top FIFA designation. To add to this, I forgot to mention that UNO also removed half the seats in the process. The current capacity of the old footbal/new soccer venue is only about 5k now. It's simply not a football facility anymore. I wouldn't hold out any hope of that decision ever being reversed. If they did decide to start playing football again, it would be ineptitude of the highest order from UNO's administration because of they amount of money they would have wasted in the process.

https://nufoundation.org/-/article-uno- ... for-soccer

2. UNO claims they had to move to D-I because the financial model of D-II is failing. They claimed their students wouldn't go to games at the D-II level becuase they considered it too "high school." They felt their only chance for survival was to move to D-I and try to better market their sports at the top levels of college athletics with Creighton and Nebraska. It can be debated, but the financials do seem to back this up. They weren't drawing at D-II, and are making headway at D-I.

3. I don't get the idea of getting rid of athletics at UNO. UNO has a future in D-I. It would have hurt the campus immensely to get rid of all sports. They could not merge the sports with a nearby campus. UNO and UNL are part of the same university system, but totally different entitites. They weren't even in the same university system until about 30 years ago. That wouldn't be a viable option.

4. UNO's new arena will be roughly 8,000 seats. It will be on par with a number of mid major leagues like the Mo VAlley, but why do they even need an 8k arena to be in the Summit? UNO currently plays in the Ralston arena for basketball which holds 4k. They do not fill it, granted, but outside of SDSU and ORU, UNO is probably better off in terms of facilities than anyone else in the Summit League. They have alot of work to do in terms of building a fanbase. They only draw about 1,200 now, but that's still decent for the Summit compared to teams like Western Illinois, IUPUI, and IUPFW I'd imagine. Here's a peak at the arena which is under construction now.

http://www.unomaha.edu/athletics/arena.php

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If memory serves, UNO has a large arena available in downtown Omaha
("the Qwest Center" - which has of note hosted the US Olympic Swimmming trails prior ot the last few Olympics).

It has a large seating capacity, but the University has for a long time preferred to have an on-campus arena,
which should result in increased attendance by students at BB and hockey games.

Former Husker / Indy Colts LB / ESPN commentator Trev Alberts took over as AD some years back and presided over the move to D-1.
All of the Nebraska campuses report to a common board at the state level, and it's been generally understood,
that the State has financial resources for ONE D-1 football program (the Huskers at UN-Lincoln).

The hard fact is that these university systems only have so much money, and being a President / AD at a satellite campus
means that you have to pick and choose where to spend your available funds.
UNO has decided that rather than being mediocre in a larger number of sports, they are going to focus on being good at
NCHC Hockey, and the sports that the Summit Conference has as their standard sports.
Admittedly though, the transition was rather harsh.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:45 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

tute79 wrote:
If memory serves, UNO has a large arena available in downtown Omaha
("the Qwest Center" - which has of note hosted the US Olympic Swimmming trails prior ot the last few Olympics).

It has a large seating capacity, but the University has for a long time preferred to have an on-campus arena,
which should result in increased attendance by students at BB and hockey games.

Former Husker / Indy Colts LB / ESPN commentator Trev Alberts took over as AD some years back and presided over the move to D-1.
All of the Nebraska campuses report to a common board at the state level, and it's been generally understood,
that the State has financial resources for ONE D-1 football program (the Huskers at UN-Lincoln).

The hard fact is that these university systems only have so much money, and being a President / AD at a satellite campus
means that you have to pick and choose where to spend your available funds.
UNO has decided that rather than being mediocre in a larger number of sports, they are going to focus on being good at
NCHC Hockey, and the sports that the Summit Conference has as their standard sports.
Admittedly though, the transition was rather harsh.

I have a couple of posts awaiting moderation that address some of this.

But, I will add that the Centurylink Center (formerly Qwest Center) is far too big for even UNO hockey. It's roughly 14k in hockey configuration. UNO typically draws about 6500, but have drawn as much as 11k when they do deeply discounted hockey tickets. UNO typically is in the top 10 in hockey attendance, but a 14k arena isn't realistic for even the best programs to fill on a consistent basis. The new arena will solve that problem.

On the other hand, it'll create some new problems for basketball. They are typically drawing about 1,200 at the Ralston Arena for men's basketball. The Ralston arena is seats roughly 4k. It makes for a decent atmosphere when they get a decent game and draw about 2500; however, I'm unsure how men's basketball will fare when they are suddenly thrust into an 8k on campus arena. They simply don't have the fanbase in that sport right now. The Ralston arena would be the best option in the short term; however, if you're going to build a new arena, you need to use it for all of your sports. It is what it is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
mozilla wrote:

Interesting thoughts.

Loss on the west......Well, unfortunately...there aren't many schools to fill in with in that sector.

I think Missouri State and Illinois State are in that MAC and SBC discussion. Wichita State could be anywhere from A10 to the Big East.

It's on the western side where the Valley could easily expand, imo...but at the expense of the Summit. ORU, the Dakotas, Denver, and UN-O could all fill in for lost programs. The flux of system schools (the UWs, IUPUs, UMs, UIC, and UN-O) have sort of made conferences like the Horizon (and Summit) a shaky place to reside for smaller private schools.

I just don't see the MVC really pushing eastward when they want a bigger presence around Chicago, which was why they took UL (a bad add, imo). Valpo isn't far from there, but it might not be enough if the conference really wanted UIC (who received a visit).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If the MVC and the Summit are having discussions related with conference realignment, what would be for the MVFC (which it contains half of the MVC schools and the other half of Summit schools)?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:01 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Honestly, I think UNO is probably 5-10 years away from being ready to jump beyond low major status. Right now, the Summit League is perfect for them. However, I do see something like the MVC being their ultimate goal. They need to get the new arena completed, get the basketball, baseball, and soccer recruiting on solid consistent D-I footing, and build an actual fanbase that will bring out more than 1,500 for men's basketball. When all of that happens, they could be a good fit for the MVC.

I'll just point out that when Creighton left, the MVC lost its biggest media market in Omaha. I could see them wanting to get back into the Omaha metro area in the future, but only when UNO proves they are a player in their own market and can deliver something of value.

It'll be interesting to see if there is any real movement in the valley. From the time Tulsa left in the mid 90's until Creightons departure last year, the MVC has been one of the most consistent and stable conferences. They had mainly stayed out of the conference realignment shuffle. That can't last forever. Still, even if Wichita St and a couple of others leave, the MVC is an attractive destination for any low major school.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:28 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

ncaanopaawaa2000:

I got your PM, unfortunately, I can't respond to PM's yet as I'm a new poster. I'll just post my thoughts on it here.

What I meant by saying it would be total ineptitude for UNO to suddenly reverse its decision and suddenly reinstate football is that UNO made a decision to kill the sport and they will look terrible in several ways if they go back on that.

1. UNO is what I would call a poor athletic department. They don't have really any big donors at this point. The school just spent over $1 million dollars tearing out the North and East stands, tearing out the football turf, leveling the crown of the field, and installing a state of the art FIFA level soccer pitch. I can't imagine that this is a decision that was made lightly. It would cost a ton of money to make the facility playable again for football and it would be seen by the people of the state as an incredible waste of money.

2. They basically alienated a few thousand football alums and donors by killing the team. One of them, a former player, had donated over a million dollars for a video board and then sat back and watched the university kill the program less than 4 months later. Even if the university promised to bring the sport back, I think enough bridges have been burned that the former football players and donors wouldn't trust the administration enough to buy in.

3. Why kill the team, destroy the tradition, and break the recruiting string if you're going to bring the team back later? They would literally have to start over as a startup...and with very little money as I mentioned. It would be a mess. You'd go from having a decent D-II program with some history of winning to being a startup at the FCS level. They would get killed for years, likely.

3. I always blamed the previous administrations for the loss of football. They never marketed the sport and the previous chancellor actively stole form the athletic department. Just an ugly situation. Trev Alberts was brought in with one goal, as stated by another poster above: Make athletics solvent. He was told by the regents to become self sufficient or risk losing all sports at UNO. So, the choice was to go D-I without football and wrestling or to stay D-II, keep asking for a $3 million subsidy a year, and hope the university system would keep the tap of subsidies open. Going D-I was the better option.

4. UNO was never Title IX compliant at the D-II level. They were risking NCAA intervention in any event, and probably would have faced serious issues moving to D-I without fixing the problem. Basically, with football having 36 scholarships at D-II, and hockey having 18, UNO was not offering enough womens scholarships to maintain equivalency. They would have had to add another 27 football scholarships at the FCS level (unless they went to the pioneer league) and that would have almost doubled the amount they were providing before. They would have realistically needed to add another 2-3 womens sports. For an athletic department as poor as UNO, that simply wasn't possible. Instead of offering 65 football scholarships and 10 wrestling scholarships at the D-I level, they moved to mens soccer and golf. soccer only requires 10 sholarships and golf requires 4.5. Big difference between 75 schollies and roughly 15. That change made them immediately Title IX compliant.

I know that was kind of long winded, but I hope that answers your questions about what I meant in saying that reinstating football would make UNO look incompetent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:45 am 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
mozilla wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
mozilla wrote:

Interesting thoughts.

I think Missouri State and Illinois State are in that MAC and SBC discussion. Wichita State could be anywhere from A10 to the Big East.

It's on the western side where the Valley could easily expand, imo...but at the expense of the Summit. ORU, the Dakotas, Denver, and UN-O could all fill in for lost programs. The flux of system schools (the UWs, IUPUs, UMs, UIC, and UN-O) have sort of made conferences like the Horizon (and Summit) a shaky place to reside for smaller private schools.

I just don't see the MVC really pushing eastward when they want a bigger presence around Chicago, which was why they took UL (a bad add, imo). Valpo isn't far from there, but it might not be enough if the conference really wanted UIC (who received a visit).

While I like Wichita State...I doubt that the A10 is looking that far west. Especially, if SLU heads to the Big East. Could WSU head to the Big East? I doubt that, as well, because they aren't private or Catholic. As far as conferences 'in between' ....not sure who those are? If WSU isn't in the MVC, A10 or BE....then I don't really know what's left over? Without fb...WSU might be stuck where they are??

I'm not certain why Loyola would be a bad move?? They are a good sized school, in Chicago, private institution, the largest endowment in the conference, ranked 106 Nationally in education...and so on.
Valpo is a good school...but, they are microscopic in size. I could see Valpo in the A10 or Big East.

Anyway....back to the Summit....

Does anyone think the Summit will try to grab UALR or UTA now that ORU is back? Of course it depends on fb...and whether either school will sponsor it. Is the SBC an improvement over the Summit for Olympic sports?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78  Next