NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:53 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Southland Expansion
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Maybe I should start signing my maps, that middle school kid is getting all the credit for my hard work. ;)

wiki gives you credit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:40 am 
Junior
Junior

Lots of bad information in this thread...

1) New Orleans no longer has a club football team (they were folded either in '11 or '12 following repeat rule violations) and is not in any position to add football financially. Enrollment continues to decline and until they turn the tide there, it just is not reasonable especially with continued cuts from the state.

2) There are no UT system schools in the Southland, so I do not see how the UT System can get political within the league to force UTPA upon the league. UTPA should be happy that they are in an auto-bid league for now. The Southland has rejected them numerous times and many member institutions hold steadfast in not wanting the school. The fact that UTPA continues to get brought up as an option is laughable by many who follow the conference.

3) A&M-Corpus is not in any rush to add football. They did add women's soccer, leaving New Orleans as the only program in Southland without the sport.

4) No FCS league will play a conference championship game if they want a playoff shot. The best thing about the Southland football alignment growing is that now teams can get more league games and not worry as much about OOC scheduling. Most fans still prefer eight games (four home, four away), but some schools are in such dire financial straits that they need to play at least two FBS games annually.

5) ORU's departure for the league has nothing to do with many of the reasons stated, particularly as the Southland has made it clear there are no plans for divisions (so the not being with Texas school argument can be dropped) and there is no pressure for all the schools to add FB (see no efforts from Corpus or New Orleans).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:10 am 
Senior
Senior

TexasTerror wrote:

1) New Orleans no longer has a club football team (they were folded either in '11 or '12 following repeat rule violations) and is not in any position to add football financially. Enrollment continues to decline and until they turn the tide there, it just is not reasonable especially with continued cuts from the state.

2) There are no UT system schools in the Southland, so I do not see how the UT System can get political within the league to force UTPA upon the league. UTPA should be happy that they are in an auto-bid league for now. The Southland has rejected them numerous times and many member institutions hold steadfast in not wanting the school. The fact that UTPA continues to get brought up as an option is laughable by many who follow the conference.

3) A&M-Corpus is not in any rush to add football. They did add women's soccer, leaving New Orleans as the only program in Southland without the sport.

4) No FCS league will play a conference championship game if they want a playoff shot. The best thing about the Southland football alignment growing is that now teams can get more league games and not worry as much about OOC scheduling. Most fans still prefer eight games (four home, four away), but some schools are in such dire financial straits that they need to play at least two FBS games annually.

5) ORU's departure for the league has nothing to do with many of the reasons stated, particularly as the Southland has made it clear there are no plans for divisions (so the not being with Texas school argument can be dropped) and there is no pressure for all the schools to add FB (see no efforts from Corpus or New Orleans).

With all your inside information....you neglect to tell us who will be added to the Southland to replace ORU.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

TexasTerror wrote:

Terror, while respect your opinions, I also strongly disagree with #2, as the Southland has already made a visit to the UTPA campus.

And yes, while UTA/UTSA have left the Southland, it does not mean that the State of Texas, which is heavily investing (along with the UT system) in the South Texas region (which is politically hot right now), holds no influence over many of the other Southland public schools (and privates too). Let's not pretend the state politics are not already instilled in college sports (just look how the Aggie gov is trying to fire UT's pres by piggybacking on the feelings surrounding the lackluster fb team).

Also, we know how you feel about UTPA, but you also stated similar things about HBU not to long ago...
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1572&p=60645#p60644

But thing are changing for UTPA (they get a new name tomorrow...see link) in more ways than anything changed for HBU so if ever there was a to-do list, I can almost guarantee you that it will get done. http://www.utsystem.edu/news/topics/project-south-texas

If you know the reason for ORU departure, or their future replacements then I'd enjoy hearing your takes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:58 am 
Junior
Junior

tkalmus wrote:
Terror, while respect your opinions, I also strongly disagree with #2, as the Southland has already made a visit to the UTPA campus.

Didn't the Southland make repeated visits to Centenary too? Campus visits are not the end all, be all. The Southland also visited Tarleton State before, if I am not mistaken - at the time UCA + A&M-CC came into the league.

tkalmus wrote:
Also, we know how you feel about UTPA, but you also stated similar things about HBU not to long ago...
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1572&p=60645#p60644" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HBU committed to adding football (which they did) and committed to upgrading their basketball venue, which they still have not done. I was surprised by the commitment, but this President they have is a game changer and they have a solid AD. Its a private institution and they clearly are moving their monies in the direction of increasing enrollment, visibility in the area.

HBU was given mandates to do things, something that a fellow non-football add-on was not. Will UTPA be given a similar mandate? Perhaps... the WAC already forced their hand to allow them into that league.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:53 am 
Senior
Senior

If the UT System wants to put pressure on someone or something....they should focus on UTD.

UTPA(or whatever they plan on calling the new institution)....has a home in the WAC. UTD doesn't have squat. UTD is in a much more desirable location and has plenty of students to sponsor its sports in a Div 1 conference. UTD has access to some of the best athletes in the US...being in the Metroplex.

So Board of Regents, I say...push UTD into a real conference. Rather than pressure a bunch of other institutions into something that really isn't needing changed. (assuming the BOR is reading my posts :lol: )

I just can't wrap my mind around....a conference wanting to expand into the valley....when their most recent additions were in places like: New Orleans, Houston, San Antonio and Abilene. Is UTPA bribing the other schools with daytrips to Padre?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
If the UT System wants to put pressure on someone or something....they should focus on UTD.

UTPA(or whatever they plan on calling the new institution)....has a home in the WAC. UTD doesn't have squat. UTD is in a much more desirable location and has plenty of students to sponsor its sports in a Div 1 conference. UTD has access to some of the best athletes in the US...being in the Metroplex.

So Board of Regents, I say...push UTD into a real conference. Rather than pressure a bunch of other institutions into something that really isn't needing changed. (assuming the BOR is reading my posts :lol: )

I just can't wrap my mind around....a conference wanting to expand into the valley....when their most recent additions were in places like: New Orleans, Houston, San Antonio and Abilene. Is UTPA bribing the other schools with daytrips to Padre?

UTPA/UTB (UT-South is what I think it'll be called, or UT Rio Grande Valley) is the current hot project for UT and all the state Congressman/Senators that are putting investments in the South for political reason as they are worried about the state turning blue.

UTD was looking at D2 but decided they'd rather invest that money into building new facilities to support academics and specifically it MBA program. Once UTD decides to go all in in athletics I assume they'll make the jump to DI with-in a decade as their endowment is already at a DI level. It really is amazing how much that campus has change in the 7 years since I've been up here (I drive by it everyday).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
mozilla wrote:

UTPA/UTB (UT-South is what I think it'll be called, or UT Rio Grande Valley) is the current hot project for UT and all the state Congressman/Senators that are putting investments in the South for political reason as they are worried about the state turning blue.

UTD was looking at D2 but decided they'd rather invest that money into building new facilities to support academics and specifically it MBA program. Once UTD decides to go all in in athletics I assume they'll make the jump to DI with-in a decade as their endowment is already at a DI level. It really is amazing how much that campus has change in the 7 years since I've been up here (I drive by it everyday).

Living near by, in high school, we used to do many of our research papers at the UTD library. I bet I wouldn't recognize it from the late 1980's. Areas near there...change almost overnight....and nothing looks familiar. It's amazing how fast things can change. Actually, we used to do a lot of our Friday night drinking in a place called 'the field' just west of campus and up Coit just a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:03 am 
Senior
Senior

Thanks to tkalmus....I kept up with the new UT school naming campaign. Looks like the new school will be called UT Rio Grande Valley.

The Board of Regent also has a business plan to bring football to UTPB in the Permian Basin.

Thanks again for the links.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:29 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
Thanks to tkalmus....I kept up with the new UT school naming campaign. Looks like the new school will be called UT Rio Grande Valley.

The Board of Regent also has a business plan to bring football to UTPB in the Permian Basin.

No problem...things to note.

UTRGV is going to be a bigger/better school than UTPA/UTB I'm pretty sure they'll push real hard to get into the Southland.

UTSA has added fb and moved up, and UTA found a better bball home.

UTPB adding fb is huge for them, just stays with the current trend that UT is making investments in its other branches.

And UTD was looking at going D2 and will likely do it in the next few years and if they can UT-Tyler would love to go with them.

The only news we really don't have is about UT-Austin and UTEP, but everyone else is looking to improve their situations.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:49 am 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
mozilla wrote:

No problem...things to note.

UTRGV is going to be a bigger/better school than UTPA/UTB I'm pretty sure they'll push real hard to get into the Southland.

UTSA has added fb and moved up, and UTA found a better bball home.

UTPB adding fb is huge for them, just stays with the current trend that UT is making investments in its other branches.

And UTD was looking at going D2 and will likely do it in the next few years and if they can UT-Tyler would love to go with them.

The only news we really don't have is about UT-Austin and UTEP, but everyone else is looking to improve their situations.

What's up with UTEP?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:54 am 
Junior
Junior

With today's UTPB announcement, there are only four Division I or Div II - Texas-Arlington (Sun Belt), Texas-Rio Grande Valley (WAC), Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (Southland) and Texas A&M-International (Heartland).

Of note, in Louisiana... New Orleans (Southland) is the only four-year public school in Div I or Div II without football. Louisiana does not have a Division II institution (public or private).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Just wondering. In case the Southland gets raided when it comes to conference alignment, which D-II schools will be up next in line to join for expansion, and from which conferences? For example, Abilene Christian re-joined D-I from the Lone Star, along with Incarnate Word. Houston Baptist became the fastest school to join the NCAA D-I level, coming from the NAIA back in the mid-2000's.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:59 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Just wondering. In case the Southland gets raided when it comes to conference alignment, which D-II schools will be up next in line to join for expansion, and from which conferences? For example, Abilene Christian re-joined D-I from the Lone Star, along with Incarnate Word. Houston Baptist became the fastest school to join the NCAA D-I level, coming from the NAIA back in the mid-2000's.

Here's my list:
Tarleton State, West Texas, Angelo State, Valdosta State, W. Georgia, W. Alabama, C. Oklahoma, W. Florida and N. Alabama.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:09 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

Here's my list:
Tarleton State, West Texas, Angelo State, Valdosta State, W. Georgia, W. Alabama, C. Oklahoma, W. Florida and N. Alabama.

Nice choices. Some from the Lone Star, Gulf South (and possibly the MAIAA).

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next