NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:31 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:48 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1427
Appreciate the replies, Westwolf, Hendu.
Westwolf, given the circumstances, BYU and Cincy looks as plausible as most anyone.
Hendu, it comes down to desire, opportunity, and availability. BYU is not an end all resolution, and there are a lot of issues to addess to add them; and what level of flexibility could to achieved to reach an agreement is unclear. BYU has national name recognition, fine facilities, an impressive following, and an established success record. Very few available have all these ingredients on the level of BYU. BYU recruits all over and they would be recruiting in Texas anyway. Such could strengthen their B12 ties if admitted.

What UCF is achieving is getting increasing notice. Winning a BCS bowl gets attention. UCF has a huge student body, growing alumni, up-to-date facilities, and Orlando is not a location to dismiss. At this point, having a directional name should not be a major detractor.

It should be clear within the next couple of years if the B12 intends to expand.

Since this is an SEC thread, I doubt any expansion from the SEC will be on the table for a long time. The B12 is in a position to expand and not prompt other Power 5 conferences to move on expansion. Recruiting and broadcasting competition may get enhanced in certain locales, but that's already understood and expected. In Texas and Florida (and other spots) there's already major conference overlap.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:19 am 
Offline
Freshman
Freshman

Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:01 pm
Posts: 44
sec03 wrote:
Appreciate the replies, Westwolf, Hendu.
Westwolf, given the circumstances, BYU and Cincy looks as plausible as most anyone.
Hendu, it comes down to desire, opportunity, and availability. BYU is not an end all resolution, and there are a lot of issues to addess to add them; and what level of flexibility could to achieved to reach an agreement is unclear. BYU has national name recognition, fine facilities, an impressive following, and an established success record. Very few available have all these ingredients on the level of BYU. BYU recruits all over and they would be recruiting in Texas anyway. Such could strengthen their B12 ties if admitted.

What UCF is achieving is getting increasing notice. Winning a BCS bowl gets attention. UCF has a huge student body, growing alumni, up-to-date facilities, and Orlando is not a location to dismiss. At this point, having a directional name should not be a major detractor.

It should be clear within the next couple of years if the B12 intends to expand.

Since this is an SEC thread, I doubt any expansion from the SEC will be on the table for a long time. The B12 is in a position to expand and not prompt other Power 5 conferences to move on expansion. Recruiting and broadcasting competition may get enhanced in certain locales, but that's already understood and expected. In Texas and Florida (and other spots) there's already major conference overlap.


I don't think the SEC or the Big 10 is done expanding. It probably won't happen for another 5 years or so, but I imagine both leagues will be back at it. The question is what is the magic number? Is it 16 or more? I think the SEC targets a North Carolina school and probably VA Tech. I think they would probably prefer UNC and OU, but I don't see either one coming on board without Okie State and Duke. I could see the SEC taking UNC and Duke. Slive really wants to see the BBall improve, which it certainly would with those two schools. But I can't see the SEC doubling down in the state of Oklahoma, there just isn't enough TV demographics to support doubling down there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:15 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1427
Yesterday from foxsports.com:

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-footba ... ina-012314

The article discusses SEC future expansion interests, recruitment locales, and media markets.
The Virginia--North Carolina implications continue to receive speculation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:14 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1427
sec03 wrote:
Yesterday from foxsports.com:

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-footba ... ina-012314
The article discusses SEC future expansion interests, recruitment locales, and media markets.
The Virginia--North Carolina implications continue to receive speculation.


I'll reply to the post submitted above. The SEC moving into the states of North Carolina and Virginia is certainly not on the immediate horizon. Having the markets of the Charlotte (where the SEC has been cultivating through various means) and Raleigh-Durham metro areas plus a footprint that reaches into the Roanoke Valley to the Tidewater region and north to Richmond and the DC metro suburbs would be huge for marketing coverage and recruitment. With the GoRs' as is, expansion for the SEC is very limited in real possibilites. The SEC is not going to take lower profile, directional, and/or athletically unprepared schools among those such as ECU, UNCC, Appy State, or VCU. Extracting ACC schools such as NCSU and VPI would have all kinds of near insurmountable issues to address. On the west end of the SEC, a school such as Oklahoma is not currently attainable and without conditions.

The B1G allegedly has also been interested in UNC, UVA, GT, etc. If they ever attempt to reach 16 or beyond, it is doubful they have given up on future pursuits of mid-Atlantic possibilities.
And if the Virginia--North Carolina region ultimately became a shared domain of the SEC, B1G, and the remaining ACC, the market, while still valuable, would be splintered to a significant degree.

Internally, changing the SEC divisional line-ups can be a major political and strategic challenge. Alabama and Auburn are adament about not splitting divisions or shifting to the east. If two additions were added to the SEC east, and Mizzou shifts to the west, that may work in a future scenario. Adding two from the west would be more complicated. Adding one to the west and one to the east could be another future option, but it could still keep Mizzou in the east, and maybe the school would even prefer that.

Anyway, among the 'power five' conferences, it looks as if Virginia and North Carolina will remain "all ACC" states for the near future; and not be in shared states as evident in SC, GA, Fla, and Ky.

If the new super-division develops with the autonomy some may anticipate, it could make the ACC and B12, even as included, more susceptible to what could become even more powerful conferences of the B1G, SEC, and PAC12. Divisional rules and pressures, along with increasing network influences, could potentially tear into GoR structures. If the desire is high enough, somebody shall find the methodology.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:47 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 922
If conferences do go to 16 and beyond, I'll be curious who gets there first. I don't know if the B1G will do it first, just because they aren't typically the proactive ones on these matters. Other conferences got to 12 first, same with 14, and now, even that wonky 14/15 level with associate memberships and whatnot. Even if the ACC gave another school a partial football arrangement (Navy?), it really wouldn't count. This being about full football commitment, there does seem to be some gridlock.

The GoRs are there to be challenged, to which I think television deal muck-ups will likely break before schools choose to challenge their might.

The B1G seems to sound the most confident that they will push beyond 14, but it's the ACC and SEC who seem to take those initiatives more. The Big XII and PAC come off as very likely, too, but not without picking up programs who wouldn't necessarily "move the needle" for other conferences (gobble up the MWC and someone just take BYU already).

If the SEC really wants those NC or VA programs, it either better take a substitute (Charlotte? ECU?) or be willing to endure their new possessions' getting strung up by massive legal battles. Or would they just pick up basketball schools, since they seem to be concerned about their shortcomings in that sport when Kentucky is down?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:59 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 am
Posts: 150
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
If the SEC really wants those NC or VA programs, it either better take a substitute (Charlotte? ECU?) or be willing to endure their new possessions' getting strung up by massive legal battles. Or would they just pick up basketball schools, since they seem to be concerned about their shortcomings in that sport when Kentucky is down?


As far as Charlotte and East Carolina, I can't imagine the SEC being okay with the #6 and #5, respectively, athletic schools in North Carolina. Athletically, the SEC has the #1 school in Arkansas, Missouri, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and Florida with strong debates about having the #1 school in Texas and South Carolina. An east #2 in Kentucky. North Carolina is the prize from the ACC. However, Duke may be a great choice for the SEC. Reasons: clearly boosts their academics, strong basketball program, definitely decent up-and-coming football program, and it wouldn't be that hard to schedule annual games with North Carolina. Florida (Florida St), Georgia (Georgia Tech), South Carolina (Clemson), and Kentucky (Louisville) do it every year. For that matter, Virginia Tech would be able to do the same thing with Virginia.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:13 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1427
BePer07, Bishin Cutter:

One of the long-time complaints about the ACC is having the concentration of members in North Carolina. It's been an issue about power, that has impacted matters of scheduling, travel, tournament sites, distributions, and other farvoritism ranging from officiating to sanctions.
The ACC actually could be better off if one of their '4' was actually in another conference.
NCSU has often been depicted as subservient to UNC and their pal, Duke, when it has come to a host of concerns related to media exposure and certain priorities. Regarding the 2003 expansion, NCSU and Wake were actually on the pro-expansion side while UNC and Duke were not intially. A NCSU President was actually chairing the conference's presidential group at the time.

NCSU has done little overt complaining over the years about the ACC's governing dynamics. They have had certain benefits from being a part of the 'NC 4', including a lot of convenience. Still, there is the UNC-Duke shaddow that encroaches on NCSU. Further, schools such as GT, FSU, Clemson, Miami, and those in the north, could feel that the sense of power becomes better distributed if one school from NC left for elsewhere. And, NCSU could be physically replaced by UConn, or Cincy, or another from outside North Carolina.

Aside from the GoR stuff, theoretically, could NCSU pull a Texas A&M-style departure from the ACC and accept a future SEC invitation? The two situations have a few similarities, but a lot of differences. NCSU, being under the governing board of the University of North Carolina State system, would not be free of UNC influences to leave independently. As it was in the Texas A&M situation, the B12 had already lost schools during the time period, nearly all of the B12 was looking around, and further strained relations happened over the LHN and such.
Texas A&M had their own set of powerful politicians supporting them for the move. And, Texas A&M and the SEC had been communicating with each over a period of years.

IMO, NCSU would be better off in the SEC. The ACC could actually withstand it and not necessarily lose others by the move. The competition could eventually be a boost to the ACC while a marketing plus for the SEC.
Who could be #16 if that happened? A good possibility would open somewhere.

For UNC and/or Duke to leave the ACC, the ACC would have to be gutted to a significant degree beforehand, or the money involved would be so extremely immense it couldn't be ignored.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:43 am 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 922
BePcr07 wrote:
As far as Charlotte and East Carolina, I can't imagine the SEC being okay with the #6 and #5, respectively, athletic schools in North Carolina. Athletically, the SEC has the #1 school in Arkansas, Missouri, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and Florida with strong debates about having the #1 school in Texas and South Carolina. An east #2 in Kentucky. North Carolina is the prize from the ACC. However, Duke may be a great choice for the SEC. Reasons: clearly boosts their academics, strong basketball program, definitely decent up-and-coming football program, and it wouldn't be that hard to schedule annual games with North Carolina. Florida (Florida St), Georgia (Georgia Tech), South Carolina (Clemson), and Kentucky (Louisville) do it every year. For that matter, Virginia Tech would be able to do the same thing with Virginia.


I agree, but I wonder how desperate the SEC is to be in those states. As the UNC emails exposed, it may not matter if, were the ACC in some actual peril, fans and boosters wanted to be in the SEC. Administrators can do exactly what those in MD did and run away with the matter if it comes to it. Kind of the same with FSU.

NCSU, as per sec02's comments, seems the most plausible, but even they seem to be content enough with the academic benefits that come with the ACC. They've also been able to keep themselves relevant as a program there (it seems that even if they aren't a top ACC program in football, they are still better than about half the darn conference), and I think they'll gladly stick with UNC.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:04 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1427
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
BePcr07 wrote:
As far as Charlotte and East Carolina, I can't imagine the SEC being okay with the #6 and #5, respectively, athletic schools in North Carolina. Athletically, the SEC has the #1 school in Arkansas, Missouri, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and Florida with strong debates about having the #1 school in Texas and South Carolina. An east #2 in Kentucky. North Carolina is the prize from the ACC. However, Duke may be a great choice for the SEC. Reasons: clearly boosts their academics, strong basketball program, definitely decent up-and-coming football program, and it wouldn't be that hard to schedule annual games with North Carolina. Florida (Florida St), Georgia (Georgia Tech), South Carolina (Clemson), and Kentucky (Louisville) do it every year. For that matter, Virginia Tech would be able to do the same thing with Virginia.


I agree, but I wonder how desperate the SEC is to be in those states. As the UNC emails exposed, it may not matter if, were the ACC in some actual peril, fans and boosters wanted to be in the SEC. Administrators can do exactly what those in MD did and run away with the matter if it comes to it. Kind of the same with FSU.

NCSU, as per sec02's comments, seems the most plausible, but even they seem to be content enough with the academic benefits that come with the ACC. They've also been able to keep themselves relevant as a program there (it seems that even if they aren't a top ACC program in football, they are still better than about half the darn conference), and I think they'll gladly stick with UNC.


Yeah, I just don't see it happening unless a new super-division forces profound re-organization from within, and even then, potential movement being fluid shall be subjected to the same old impacting variables: money, politics, and the sense of security.

Football (especially), basketball, and baseball drive the SEC. While SEC academics have been scrutinized, this has been a conference of flag-ship and land grant universities and a highly respected private school. While the SEC does not have the predominant number of AAU schools as the B1G proudly displays; still, the SEC basically engulfs the best, academically and athletically, for their domain, largely the deep south which has had its struggles in valuing this aspect. Vandy, Florida, Mizzou, Texas A&M, and Georgia are pretty respectable. And schools such as South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, and even Mississippi State have made a lot of strides in recent decades. The ACC who try to sell themselves as a combination of elite private schools combined with better than average and more selective public universities, found out that has limitation when it comes to big money. But they did manage to fit Louisville into the mix, a school that had the commuter campus look. The SEC would not touch them, and that went beyond the fact that Kentucky is in the SEC. And really, FSU, and Clemson to a major degree, look like SEC schools but are in the ACC.

We agree on the fundamental point, while the market would be an enhancement, there is nothing in North Carolina currently available that would be desired by the SEC.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:35 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 922
sec03 wrote:
We agree on the fundamental point, while the market would be an enhancement, there is nothing in North Carolina currently available that would be desired by the SEC.


Yeah, I hold firm on the quality thing, or, better put, quality content. What The Big Ten did with Rutgers...I don't know if the SEC would simply ever do...grab a big program in a good market that doesn't add anything in terms of athletic prestige. Charlotte would fit that bill, but they definitely don't pass the smell test. Cincinnati actually would add prestige, but they seem just as unlikely.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:12 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:04 pm
Posts: 368
Reports are the SEC 'will not change' their scheduling format at this time. Here's an article of 3/19/2014 from NBC Sports giving comments from the LSU AD on the matter:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... ot-change/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 

 




Looking for College Sports apparel? Support our partner:








Support Our Partners: Search Engine Marketing - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Training - Online Marketing for Restuarants

Subway Map Shirts - Food and Travel

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group