NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:41 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
 Post subject: Re: CAA Realignment
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
I have not heard of SMU to the Big 12, where did that come from?

No where of consequence, its just that they're bball team is hot right now and the Big 12 is just being talked about by some people who don't understand the intricacies of conference realignment. (not knocking JP since he's just throwing out hypotheticals)

Same as TCU before who had no chance of getting in...until A&M left. SMU has virtually the same chance as TCU had...until Texas leaves. On another thread I gave them a 10% at being the next State of Texas school invited in with UTexas still in the conference but that obviously doesn't included the many out of state candidates in the MWC/AAC plus BYU...their real odds are very low single digits.

http://frankthetank.me/2013/10/30/the-b ... -all-over/

Frank (when you fix his bad math) had them at the 3rd to last of possible candidates only beating out UNLV and Rice. And personally, I think they're lower than Rice (as I think he under values the benefit of playing in Houston for recruiting exposure and creeping effect of the SEC in the area with A&M/LSU, also I think he should value their academics higher as the Big 12 is in needs of them).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

CAA was trying for A10-like status until they lost VCU, GMU, and ODU. CoC and Elon don't make up for those losses, nor would Furman or Fairfield if they are next in line. Plus, if Furman does go, wouldn't Wofford be next?

These guys thought they had a shot at GWU in an A10 Doomsday scenario. They and Siena are the only speculated candidates who put hoops back into respectability. I bet both would be part of a new A10, still better than CAA.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:25 am 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
mozilla wrote:

No where of consequence, its just that they're bball team is hot right now and the Big 12 is just being talked about by some people who don't understand the intricacies of conference realignment. (not knocking JP since he's just throwing out hypotheticals)

Same as TCU before who had no chance of getting in...until A&M left. SMU has virtually the same chance as TCU had...until Texas leaves. On another thread I gave them a 10% at being the next State of Texas school invited in with UTexas still in the conference but that obviously doesn't included the many out of state candidates in the MWC/AAC plus BYU...their real odds are very low single digits.

http://frankthetank.me/2013/10/30/the-b ... -all-over/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frank (when you fix his bad math) had them at the 3rd to last of possible candidates only beating out UNLV and Rice. And personally, I think they're lower than Rice (as I think he under values the benefit of playing in Houston for recruiting exposure and creeping effect of the SEC in the area with A&M/LSU, also I think he should value their academics higher as the Big 12 is in needs of them).

Thanks.

I don't think UT likes SMU. We never play them in any sport, that I can remember.
We play Rice almost every year...sometimes in multiple sports.
SMU is playing other SWC rivals, though. And their bb program is doing pretty well, this year.

Yeah, if UT has anything to say about it....Rice will get the call before SMU. Rice would also pair up well with Tulane. And Tulane is building a nice new on campus fb stadium. It's nothing like Baylor's new digs...but, still...for Tulane it's pretty cool.

Baylor's new stadium can be seen here...FYI:
http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-foo ... m-cam.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really feel that Baylor is making some large strides towards relevancy. For a mid sized private school...they have been doing well in the last five years in major sports. In minor sports they have always been solid. An on campus stadium should really help their game day presence on national tv.

Sorry for the side track.....
Back to the CAA.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:03 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

mozilla wrote:

No where. I was discussing UMass' approach of "wait and see what transpires" with the American before they pull their basketball/other sports out of the A-10.

Hence the "I don't think..." part.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Hampton Roads(previously posted in another thread)with comments from SBC Commish who says that JMU has recently indicated that they are not interested in joining the SBC and "may" not be interested in jumping to FBS if they do not receive an invite from a conference "like" the MAC.Link at http://www.hamptonroads.com/2014/04/sun ... remain-caa

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I'm not sure if this is adequate or not, but I just wanna give a try. What would happen if conference realignment was today, but involving the CAA? Currently, the CAA membership consists with the following:

Delaware (w. fb)
James Madison (w. fb)
Towson (w. fb)
William & Mary (w. fb)
Col. of Charleston (n-fb)
Elon (w. fb) (coming in 2014-15)
Drexel (n-fb)
Hofstra (n-fb)
Northeastern (Mass.) (n-fb)
UNC-Wilmington (n-fb)

I would say that the CAA should focus on having full members with football and put aside with the non-football members. So I was thinking that the CAA should raid the America East and grab the full members whose football programs are in the CAA, such as:

SUNY-Albany
Maine
New Hampshire
Rhode Island (from the A-10)
SUNY-Stony Brook

Also, the CAA should bring along Vermont and SUNY-Binghamton. That would leave the AmEast to raid on the Northeastern U.S. D-II conferences (such as the Northeast-10, the CACC and the former NYCAC turned ECC).

As far as the non-football members (excluding Hofstra, Drexel and Northeastern), CoC should join either the Big South or re-join the A-Sun, while UNC-Wilmington should be either in the Big South or in the SoCon.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
I'm not sure if this is adequate or not, but I just wanna give a try. What would happen if conference realignment was today, but involving the CAA? Currently, the CAA membership consists with the following:

Delaware (w. fb)
James Madison (w. fb)
Towson (w. fb)
William & Mary (w. fb)
Drexel (n-fb)
Hofstra (n-fb)
UNC-Wilmington (n-fb)

I would say that the CAA should focus on having full members with football and put aside with the non-football members. So I was thinking that the CAA should raid the America East and grab the full members whose football programs are in the CAA, such as:

SUNY-Albany
Maine
New Hampshire
SUNY-Stony Brook

Also, the CAA should bring along Vermont and SUNY-Binghamton. That would leave the AmEast to raid on the Northeastern U.S. D-II conferences (such as the Northeast-10, the CACC and the former NYCAC turned ECC).

As far as the non-football members (excluding Hofstra, Drexel and Northeastern), CoC should join either the Big South or re-join the A-Sun, while UNC-Wilmington should be either in the Big South or in the SoCon.

they would have and should have added Albany and Stony Brook but Hofstra blocked it.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

Delaware (w. fb)
James Madison (w. fb)
Towson (w. fb)
William & Mary (w. fb)
Drexel (n-fb)
Hofstra (n-fb)
UNC-Wilmington (n-fb)

SUNY-Albany
Maine
New Hampshire
SUNY-Stony Brook

they would have and should have added Albany and Stony Brook but Hofstra blocked it.

I can understand your opinion about this. But I hope you read everything before just responding in a short answer like this one. However, what about if Drexel and Hofstra (from the same former AmEast core group of schools with Delaware and Towson) were out of the equation, then Albany and Stony Brook (possibly Binghamton) will jump ship to the CAA?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

Delaware (w. fb)
James Madison (w. fb)
Towson (w. fb)
William & Mary (w. fb)
Drexel (n-fb)
Hofstra (n-fb)
UNC-Wilmington (n-fb)

SUNY-Albany
Maine
New Hampshire
SUNY-Stony Brook

I can understand your opinion about this. But I hope you read everything before just responding in a short answer like this one. However, what about if Drexel and Hofstra (from the same former AmEast core group of schools with Delaware and Towson) were out of the equation, then Albany and Stony Brook (possibly Binghamton) will jump ship to the CAA?

Why would they be out of the equation, you can't say they're out w/o a logical explanation. I read the rest but no one is downgrading. Binghamton got busted by the NCAA real bad, haven't been the same since.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Why would they be out of the equation, you can't say they're out w/o a logical explanation. I read the rest but no one is downgrading. Binghamton got busted by the NCAA real bad, haven't been the same since.

You have any other logic ideas for expansion since Old Dominion and Georgia St. left to join FBS? Besides, my sole intention was to see the CAA as a pure football-sponsoring all-sports conference, not as a hybrid conference.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:14 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Maybe I'm off, but wasn't there a bit more bad blood between some of those old AmEast schools, which cleared the way for the split? It might be why Maine and UNH don't enter into these convos, much in the same way Vermont just sits out there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42