NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1485 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
rumor from the WAC board is that an e-mail from their commish to a fan said they are in talks to add UA-Anchorage and UA-Fairbanks, however UAF is much further behind and would need to do a study.

Adding an Alaska school to Division I would be a first; but it would cost travel issues. Plus, it would make them be the Hawaii of the non-football scene.

They already travel a lot in D-II and in D-I Hockey. WAC is desperate, they're one UTRGV to the SLC or UMKC or Chicago St. back to the Summit away from their AQ being in jeopardy. GCU should be a counter towards the 7 needed in 2018.

True. Or possibly a New Mexico St. back to the Sun Belt or C-USA away from losing their AQ (leading to a possible dissolution).

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
rumor from the WAC board is that an e-mail from their commish to a fan said they are in talks to add UA-Anchorage and UA-Fairbanks, however UAF is much further behind and would need to do a study.

Adding an Alaska school to Division I would be a first; but it would cost travel issues. Plus, it would make them be the Hawaii of the non-football scene.

They already travel a lot in D-II and in D-I Hockey. WAC is desperate, they're one UTRGV to the SLC or UMKC or Chicago St. back to the Summit away from their AQ being in jeopardy. GCU should be a counter towards the 7 needed in 2018.

True. Or possibly a New Mexico St. back to the Sun Belt or C-USA away from losing their AQ (leading to a possible dissolution).

yeah that too. Plus UAA is a good bball school that could compete for the WAC title as soon as they're eligible, bringing in tourney $$$

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

yeah that too. Plus UAA is a good bball school that could compete for the WAC title as soon as they're eligible, bringing in tourney $$$

Which "bball"? Basketball or baseball? So then these two Alaska schools might be a great acquisition for the WAC, as far as realignment goes.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

baseball doesn't bring in money. I can't imagine playing baseball games in feb in Alaska. Basketball.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
baseball doesn't bring in money. I can't imagine playing baseball games in feb in Alaska. Basketball.

Somewhat true, but 2 schools do make significant revenue off baseball.

http://college-sports.findthebest.com

LSU - 2.11 million
Texas - 1.92 million

Next highest is Tulane at 335K.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

http://college-sports.findthebest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LSU - 2.11 million
Texas - 1.92 million

2 out of how many ever of the 351 D-I schools have it. Since when does bball tourney $$$=Baseball though? UAA, UAF don't sponsor it obviously b/c no one wants to play it in 0 to 20 degree weather at UAA and -30 to 0 at UAF when the seasons opens in Feb.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

http://college-sports.findthebest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LSU - 2.11 million
Texas - 1.92 million

2 out of how many ever of the 351 D-I schools have it. Since when does bball tourney $$$=Baseball though? UAA, UAF don't sponsor it obviously b/c no one wants to play it in 0 to 20 degree weather at UAA and -30 to 0 at UAF when the seasons opens in Feb.

I know just messing with y'all, bball always means basketball.

Actually quiet a few schools make $ on baseball but that hard to say if the actually covered their costs.

As far as the WAC goes they just need bodies, as long as they can keep 7 school (even if not full members yet) they'll keep their bid. The Alaska schools and GCU ain't going anywhere anytime soon so if this happens they'll likely be here for the long haul.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

http://college-sports.findthebest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LSU - 2.11 million
Texas - 1.92 million

Actually quiet a few schools make $ on baseball but that hard to say if the actually covered their costs.

As far as the WAC goes they just need bodies, as long as they can keep 7 school (even if not full members yet) they'll keep their bid. The Alaska schools and GCU ain't going anywhere anytime soon so if this happens they'll likely be here for the long haul.

I wonder if Fresno St. baseball does. Damn we won the national title 6 years ago. Our stadium holds 5,500, they seem to have good crowds.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:42 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

http://college-sports.findthebest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LSU - 2.11 million
Texas - 1.92 million

I wonder if Fresno St. baseball does. Damn we won the national title 6 years ago. Our stadium holds 5,500, they seem to have good crowds.

According to my link Fresno State lost 410K on baseball last year. Need to sell more ads.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Back when Fresno State won the national title on baseball on the spring section of the 2007-08 season, that's what put the WAC on the map. I wonder if any of the current full members (plus the Big Sky schools who are affiliates in North Dakota, Northern Colorado and Sacramento State) have managed to have any success to be CWS material ever since the Fresno State national title run.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:45 pm 
Senior
Senior

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/sports ... f6878.html

Article out of Brownsville regarding football at UT RGV.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:44 am 
Freshman
Freshman

It was mentioned in earlier posts...but does anyone have an idea if the two Alaska schools would even consider moving up? It seems like getting them together is a good move for the WAC. They need warm bodies and being the first ones into the state might have some sort of value. At least it might draw a bit of needed attention back to the conference.

The inaction of the WAC and the Atlantic Sun continue to amaze me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:10 am 
Senior
Senior

insomniaisevil wrote:
It was mentioned in earlier posts...but does anyone have an idea if the two Alaska schools would even consider moving up? It seems like getting them together is a good move for the WAC. They need warm bodies and being the first ones into the state might have some sort of value. At least it might draw a bit of needed attention back to the conference.

The inaction of the WAC and the Atlantic Sun continue to amaze me.

You want the WAC to stretch from Chicago to the South Texas Valley to Southern California to ALASKA?

That would be an 8500 mile round trip from UTRGV to Fairbanks.

I don't think so.

Metro State in Denver would be a much better candidate.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:04 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Beggars can't be choosers, though. And it's not like anyone really wants to be in the WAC. They'd all rather be elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:56 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I just don't see the Alaska schools coming up. They play in a DII league that is all Pacific Northwest schools so their travel is as good as it could possibly be and men's ice hockey, the only sport they really care about, is already in a stable DI hockey league. The expansion options out there for the WAC are pretty pitiful. I almost think the best case scenario for the WAC is for the Summit or A-Sun to get depleted and then propose a merger with the remnant schools creating an East-West division alignment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1485 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99  Next