NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1485 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:45 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1036
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
rumor from the WAC board is that an e-mail from their commish to a fan said they are in talks to add UA-Anchorage and UA-Fairbanks, however UAF is much further behind and would need to do a study.


Adding an Alaska school to Division I would be a first; but it would cost travel issues. Plus, it would make them be the Hawaii of the non-football scene.


They already travel a lot in D-II and in D-I Hockey. WAC is desperate, they're one UTRGV to the SLC or UMKC or Chicago St. back to the Summit away from their AQ being in jeopardy. GCU should be a counter towards the 7 needed in 2018.


True. Or possibly a New Mexico St. back to the Sun Belt or C-USA away from losing their AQ (leading to a possible dissolution).

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:47 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 pm
Posts: 2803
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
rumor from the WAC board is that an e-mail from their commish to a fan said they are in talks to add UA-Anchorage and UA-Fairbanks, however UAF is much further behind and would need to do a study.


Adding an Alaska school to Division I would be a first; but it would cost travel issues. Plus, it would make them be the Hawaii of the non-football scene.


They already travel a lot in D-II and in D-I Hockey. WAC is desperate, they're one UTRGV to the SLC or UMKC or Chicago St. back to the Summit away from their AQ being in jeopardy. GCU should be a counter towards the 7 needed in 2018.


True. Or possibly a New Mexico St. back to the Sun Belt or C-USA away from losing their AQ (leading to a possible dissolution).

yeah that too. Plus UAA is a good bball school that could compete for the WAC title as soon as they're eligible, bringing in tourney $$$

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:56 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1036
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
rumor from the WAC board is that an e-mail from their commish to a fan said they are in talks to add UA-Anchorage and UA-Fairbanks, however UAF is much further behind and would need to do a study.


Adding an Alaska school to Division I would be a first; but it would cost travel issues. Plus, it would make them be the Hawaii of the non-football scene.


They already travel a lot in D-II and in D-I Hockey. WAC is desperate, they're one UTRGV to the SLC or UMKC or Chicago St. back to the Summit away from their AQ being in jeopardy. GCU should be a counter towards the 7 needed in 2018.


True. Or possibly a New Mexico St. back to the Sun Belt or C-USA away from losing their AQ (leading to a possible dissolution).


yeah that too. Plus UAA is a good bball school that could compete for the WAC title as soon as they're eligible, bringing in tourney $$$


Which "bball"? Basketball or baseball? So then these two Alaska schools might be a great acquisition for the WAC, as far as realignment goes.

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:54 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 pm
Posts: 2803
baseball doesn't bring in money. I can't imagine playing baseball games in feb in Alaska. Basketball.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:07 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 pm
Posts: 1460
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
baseball doesn't bring in money. I can't imagine playing baseball games in feb in Alaska. Basketball.

Somewhat true, but 2 schools do make significant revenue off baseball.

http://college-sports.findthebest.com

LSU - 2.11 million
Texas - 1.92 million

Next highest is Tulane at 335K.

_________________
Fan of the Big 12 Conference, the Mountain West Conference and...
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:09 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 pm
Posts: 2803
tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
baseball doesn't bring in money. I can't imagine playing baseball games in feb in Alaska. Basketball.

Somewhat true, but 2 schools do make significant revenue off baseball.

http://college-sports.findthebest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LSU - 2.11 million
Texas - 1.92 million

Next highest is Tulane at 335K.

2 out of how many ever of the 351 D-I schools have it. Since when does bball tourney $$$=Baseball though? UAA, UAF don't sponsor it obviously b/c no one wants to play it in 0 to 20 degree weather at UAA and -30 to 0 at UAF when the seasons opens in Feb.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:35 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 pm
Posts: 1460
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
baseball doesn't bring in money. I can't imagine playing baseball games in feb in Alaska. Basketball.

Somewhat true, but 2 schools do make significant revenue off baseball.

http://college-sports.findthebest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LSU - 2.11 million
Texas - 1.92 million

Next highest is Tulane at 335K.

2 out of how many ever of the 351 D-I schools have it. Since when does bball tourney $$$=Baseball though? UAA, UAF don't sponsor it obviously b/c no one wants to play it in 0 to 20 degree weather at UAA and -30 to 0 at UAF when the seasons opens in Feb.

I know just messing with y'all, bball always means basketball.

Actually quiet a few schools make $ on baseball but that hard to say if the actually covered their costs.

As far as the WAC goes they just need bodies, as long as they can keep 7 school (even if not full members yet) they'll keep their bid. The Alaska schools and GCU ain't going anywhere anytime soon so if this happens they'll likely be here for the long haul.

_________________
Fan of the Big 12 Conference, the Mountain West Conference and...
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:43 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 pm
Posts: 2803
tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
baseball doesn't bring in money. I can't imagine playing baseball games in feb in Alaska. Basketball.

Somewhat true, but 2 schools do make significant revenue off baseball.

http://college-sports.findthebest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LSU - 2.11 million
Texas - 1.92 million

Next highest is Tulane at 335K.

2 out of how many ever of the 351 D-I schools have it. Since when does bball tourney $$$=Baseball though? UAA, UAF don't sponsor it obviously b/c no one wants to play it in 0 to 20 degree weather at UAA and -30 to 0 at UAF when the seasons opens in Feb.

I know just messing with y'all, bball always means basketball.

Actually quiet a few schools make $ on baseball but that hard to say if the actually covered their costs.

As far as the WAC goes they just need bodies, as long as they can keep 7 school (even if not full members yet) they'll keep their bid. The Alaska schools and GCU ain't going anywhere anytime soon so if this happens they'll likely be here for the long haul.

I wonder if Fresno St. baseball does. Damn we won the national title 6 years ago. Our stadium holds 5,500, they seem to have good crowds.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:42 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 pm
Posts: 1460
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
baseball doesn't bring in money. I can't imagine playing baseball games in feb in Alaska. Basketball.

Somewhat true, but 2 schools do make significant revenue off baseball.

http://college-sports.findthebest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LSU - 2.11 million
Texas - 1.92 million

Next highest is Tulane at 335K.

2 out of how many ever of the 351 D-I schools have it. Since when does bball tourney $$$=Baseball though? UAA, UAF don't sponsor it obviously b/c no one wants to play it in 0 to 20 degree weather at UAA and -30 to 0 at UAF when the seasons opens in Feb.

I know just messing with y'all, bball always means basketball.

Actually quiet a few schools make $ on baseball but that hard to say if the actually covered their costs.

As far as the WAC goes they just need bodies, as long as they can keep 7 school (even if not full members yet) they'll keep their bid. The Alaska schools and GCU ain't going anywhere anytime soon so if this happens they'll likely be here for the long haul.

I wonder if Fresno St. baseball does. Damn we won the national title 6 years ago. Our stadium holds 5,500, they seem to have good crowds.

According to my link Fresno State lost 410K on baseball last year. Need to sell more ads.

_________________
Fan of the Big 12 Conference, the Mountain West Conference and...
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:35 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1036
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I wonder if Fresno St. baseball does. Damn we won the national title 6 years ago. Our stadium holds 5,500, they seem to have good crowds.


Back when Fresno State won the national title on baseball on the spring section of the 2007-08 season, that's what put the WAC on the map. I wonder if any of the current full members (plus the Big Sky schools who are affiliates in North Dakota, Northern Colorado and Sacramento State) have managed to have any success to be CWS material ever since the Fresno State national title run.

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:45 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 312
Location: Austin, Texas
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/sports ... f6878.html

Article out of Brownsville regarding football at UT RGV.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:44 am 
Offline
Freshman
Freshman
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:12 am
Posts: 14
Location: Cincinnati, OH
It was mentioned in earlier posts...but does anyone have an idea if the two Alaska schools would even consider moving up? It seems like getting them together is a good move for the WAC. They need warm bodies and being the first ones into the state might have some sort of value. At least it might draw a bit of needed attention back to the conference.

The inaction of the WAC and the Atlantic Sun continue to amaze me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:10 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 312
Location: Austin, Texas
insomniaisevil wrote:
It was mentioned in earlier posts...but does anyone have an idea if the two Alaska schools would even consider moving up? It seems like getting them together is a good move for the WAC. They need warm bodies and being the first ones into the state might have some sort of value. At least it might draw a bit of needed attention back to the conference.

The inaction of the WAC and the Atlantic Sun continue to amaze me.



You want the WAC to stretch from Chicago to the South Texas Valley to Southern California to ALASKA?

That would be an 8500 mile round trip from UTRGV to Fairbanks.

I don't think so.

Metro State in Denver would be a much better candidate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:04 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 1128
Beggars can't be choosers, though. And it's not like anyone really wants to be in the WAC. They'd all rather be elsewhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:56 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 727
Location: Columbus, OH
I just don't see the Alaska schools coming up. They play in a DII league that is all Pacific Northwest schools so their travel is as good as it could possibly be and men's ice hockey, the only sport they really care about, is already in a stable DI hockey league. The expansion options out there for the WAC are pretty pitiful. I almost think the best case scenario for the WAC is for the Summit or A-Sun to get depleted and then propose a merger with the remnant schools creating an East-West division alignment.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1485 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 

 




Looking for College Sports apparel? Support our partner:








Support Our Partners: Search Engine Marketing - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Training - Online Marketing for Restuarants

Subway Map Shirts - Food and Travel

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group