NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:19 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:02 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Don't have time to look up the number but...

The article says Hawaii only has a 2.2 mil deficit.

IIRC they are paying the MWC 800k/yr in travel subsidies (and the Big West 1mil/yr too).

That means w/o the MWC travel subsidies Hawaii should only be running a 400k deficit (the Big West one will be covered by the extra million a year they are getting thanks to the playoff). In addition, the MWC's TV deal will be valueable when it comes due in a few years and I expect all the schools to receive a moderate bump over their current crappy CBS deal.

I think this is more of an attempt on Hawaii's part just to get the MWC to drop their travel subsidies. They realized that they can threaten to drop fb and the MWC would have to replace them with an inferior conference member in all sports in order to keep their CCG.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:49 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tkalmus wrote:
I think this is more of an attempt on Hawaii's part just to get the MWC to drop their travel subsidies. They realized that they can threaten to drop fb and the MWC would have to replace them with an inferior conference member in all sports in order to keep their CCG.

That's an interesting thought. I think the MWC calls their bluff though. It won't be Idaho or New Mexico St or even Montana they would replace them with. UTEP or UTSA will get the call. Those programs will be just as strong as the Rainbow Warriors and not half an ocean away.

I really hope that the Hawaii football program doesn't go under. It would be a shame for a program that has survived this long out on the islands to shut down.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:56 pm 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
tkalmus wrote:

That's an interesting thought. I think the MWC calls their bluff though. It won't be Idaho or New Mexico St or even Montana they would replace them with. UTEP or UTSA will get the call. Those programs will be just as strong as the Rainbow Warriors and not half an ocean away.

I really hope that the Hawaii football program doesn't go under. It would be a shame for a program that has survived this long out on the islands to shut down.

I would put New Mexico st. as the team most likely to be added as a full team invite.This would be due to New Mexico states basketball program. If this would happen would the Sun Belt stay at 10 teams?

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:06 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

46566 wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
tkalmus wrote:

I would put New Mexico st. as the team most likely to be added as a full team invite.This would be due to New Mexico states basketball program. If this would happen would the Sun Belt stay at 10 teams?

New Mexico would have to lobby for their little brother to get in and historically the Lobos have always held the Aggies at an arm's length. I think it would require political pressure in the state legislature to get them in the MWC should an opening occur.

In the event that this did happen I wouldn't be surprised if the Sunbelt dumped Idaho. They really make no sense as an SBC affiliate except that Karl Benson feels guilty he ran the WAC into the ground before jumping to the SBC (he seems just as incompetent at his new post as his old one). Idaho adds no depth to the SBC. I wouldn't be surprised if they go 0-8 in SBC games this year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Don't have time to look up the number but...

The article says Hawaii only has a 2.2 mil deficit.

IIRC they are paying the MWC 800k/yr in travel subsidies (and the Big West 1mil/yr too).

That means w/o the MWC travel subsidies Hawaii should only be running a 400k deficit (the Big West one will be covered by the extra million a year they are getting thanks to the playoff). In addition, the MWC's TV deal will be valueable when it comes due in a few years and I expect all the schools to receive a moderate bump over their current crappy CBS deal.

I don't know...$2.2 million in the red for a non-major that already doesn't field a number of programs (and has programs in places that aren't the best for other revenues, like Big West basketball), it's legit. Not that they could be trying to get out of the subsidies, but it wasn't like Hawaii was the first replacement school for the MWC. I think they'd have more leverage if they were, but even then, it wouldn't be much or likely.

Temple cut programs to save a "paltry" $3m. $2.2 isn't something to sneeze at.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:24 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Does anyone know Hawaii's total athletic budget, football budget (including MWC travel subsidies), total athletic dept revenue, and football revenue?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:29 am 
All-Star
All-Star

This is an audit from 2012 or 13 on some of the athletic department's administrative spending. You can see what they were spending to work with the likes of certain schools to ship them over to the islands.

I don't know what that $13-14m mark is on p. 7. Administrative or entire AD(seems low for that, though). The document also goes into the travel subsidies and season ticket intake, which, even between 2011 and 2012, was decreasing across the sports.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:52 am 
Senior
Senior

In all honestly Hawaii leaving the MWC and FBS would be the best for both the school and the conference. Why? well there is really not a big fan base for Hawaii and there is no real possible way to enlarge it. Therefore the school is going to continue to loose money. The location is the biggest challenge and there is no way to overcome that. If they left the MWC, then that opens the door for the MWC to either bring back BYU or to bring in Idaho or NMSU. While neither UI or NMSU brings good FB programs to the table, they would bring a 12th all sports playing school. Also they bring in rivalries to the conference with NMSU and UNLV or UI and Boise St. This would be the best option.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:09 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

After BYU's blowout win against the Longhorns they ought to be favored to win the rest of their games. This raises the question of whether or not they are playoff worthy and that would require the selection committee placing them in the top 4. Not being in a conference makes them ineligible for the Cotton/Peach/Fiesta bowl slot reserved for the best champion of the group of 5. BYU would be giving up a lot of exposure and bowl money by not being in a conference. Could this make them consider making peace with the MWC? Could the two sides come to terms? BYU is going to want to keep Tier 3 rights and their network. The MWC is going to want BYU to share bowl money. I'm curious as to whether or not this dialogue is going to open up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:39 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I think it's AAC or bust for BYU, given the cooperation between the two already. ESPN will have no problem negotiating with itself since it has both BYU's and the AAC's rights.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:12 pm 
Senior
Senior

wbyeager wrote:
I think it's AAC or bust for BYU, given the cooperation between the two already. ESPN will have no problem negotiating with itself since it has both BYU's and the AAC's rights.

Good idea but I don't think it will happen. BYU only wants in a Power 5 Conference. Moving into AAC would not benefit them in any way. They already have access to a bowl game (Bahamas bowl) this year against the AAC. And if they go undefeated then they would more than likely get into a New Year's old game as a at large bid. So why would they need to join a non-power 5 conference? They already have a scheduling alliance with the AAC for so many games a year, and the AAC will have 12 football playing school next year when Navy joins, adding BYU would make 13.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:08 pm 
Senior
Senior

ACCESS to playoff through AAC.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:55 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Given the MW's not so secret desire to get into Texas, could this possibly split the Mountain West down the road?

Old MWC:

North Texas
UTSA
UTEP
Rice
New Mexico
Colorado State
Air Force
Wyoming
Utah State

New Conference:

Hawaii
San Diego State
San Jose State
Fresno State
Nevada
UNLV
Boise State

This pushes C-USA down to 10, who likely just exits Texas at that point and starts reloading from the east. The old MWC can push east by adding schools like North Dakota State, Louisiana Tech, and possibly even Tulsa. This would also be a logical home for Montana.

The new conference could grab Idaho if Hawaii can't commit to full membership. It could also go after schools like Portland State and Sacramento State from FCS.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:52 am 
Senior
Senior

If the MWC tv money is low enough what do more weak members do?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62