NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:32 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: DREAM CONFERENCE FOR FUN
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:12 pm 
Senior
Senior

This thread is for all of you who have an idea about how the conferences should be. ;) Do you want 8 conferences will 12 teams each? Merge the best of the ACC and the BE(FB of course)? Set up a playoff-if so how? This is the thread for you! :D

Also, just for fun, I thought that I would throw out an impossibility. What if 2 teams could switch conferences and schedules with each other for a two year period? (Yes, I know that nonconference matchups would ruin it. This is for fun speculation ;D not serious. My team has been decimated by injuries. I need a laugh. :D )

Miami could have won the SEC this year, but I don't believe that they, or anyone else, could up together 31 straight wins in either the SEC or Big 12.

How would you balance the conferences if you could? Please tell me by posting here.

FBfan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:25 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Here's an idea I have been thinking. It involves reshufling 5 conferences and transforming them into 4 all sports and 1 non-football conference.

The ACC:

adds:South Florida,UCF & Louisville
loses: no one

The Big East:

adds: Cincinnati, ECU, Marshall & Temple (since UConn would already be in BE)

loses: Notre Dame (all sports), Seton Hall, Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall & St. John's

The C-USA (basketball conference):

adds: Notre Dame (all sports...remains football ind.), Seton Hall, Georgetown (fb in Patriot), Providence , Villanova (fb in Atl-10) , St. John's, Army (fb in Patriot), Navy (fb in Patriot)

loses: South Florida,Louisville, Cincinnati, ECU, UAB, Houston, Memphis, Southern Miss, TCU, Tulane

MWC:

adds: Boise State, Hawaii, Fresno St, Nevada
loses: no one

WAC

adds:UAB, Houston, Memphis, Southern Miss, TCU, Tulane & Utah St. (or Idaho or any SBC team of your choice)

loses:Boise State, Hawaii, Fresno St, Nevada, San Jose State

Why it could work?

1-Notre Dame gets a conference for all it's teams and remains ind. since the C-USA doesn't do football anymore.

2-C-USA & Big East basketball schools are in a conference driven by basketball and no longer football.

3-MWC gets to 12

4-WAC rebuilds image and is more regional.

5-San jose St. gets it's excuse to drop football

6-Temple rejoins Big East for football only so conference has Championship game or joins in all sports and conference is 12 schools in all sports.

7-Army and Navy drop to 1-AA for football.

8-Villanova no longer feels pressure to jump to 1-A and stays in A-10 football.

9-All 5 conferences are now 12 team conferences thus permitting conf. championship games in basketball & football.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:21 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Ok here's the Dream South Conference.

1. Miami
2. FSU
3. South Florida
3. Georgia Tech
4. Clemson
5. East Carolina
6. North Carolina
7. North Carolina State
8. Virginia Tech
9. Virginia
10. Louisville
11. Maryland
12. West Virginia

Wilkie

Last edited by wilkie01 on Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:34 am 
Junior
Junior

My dream conference

NORTH
Virginia
Virginia Tech
UNC
NC State
Duke
Wake Forest

SOUTH
Clemson
South Carolina
Georgia
Georgia Tech
FSU
South Florida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:19 am 
Senior
Senior

Welcome Catdaddy 2407

Your conference is interesting, but how do you get SC and GA to leave the SEC? ??? However, the IS the DREAM thread, so have at it! ;)

Wilkie 01. Interesting post. You are combining the best of the ACC and BE. It is just a dream, but as I said to
catdady 2407, this is the place for them! :)

Tigerfan79. Great start. I did not answer your post when I first read it because I hoped the CUSA into BCS crowd would respond. Frankly, while CUSA fans don't like it, the only way for the BE or ACC to expand is to raid CUSA. Marshall and ND are the only 2 teams east of the Mississippi that are good enough to help that are not in CUSA or a BCS conference.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:38 pm 
Junior
Junior

It is a dream...because although UGA would probably get in no problem...there is no way in Hades the original ACC schools (CU, UNC, NCST, Duke, WF, UVA & UM) ever get in another conference with South Carolina. Way too much bad blood. Honestly...if it were not for the state law requiring Clemson and South Carolina to play they probably would have stopped for a while in the 70's after SC split from the ACC.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:08 am 
Senior
Senior

Interesting catdaddy. I did not know that SC used to be in the ACC. I knew GT had been in the SEC. Why would GA want to leave the SEC? ??? The only reason I could think of is that it would be easier to win the ACC and go undefeated than it would be in the SEC. The money is better in the SEC.

I am curious ??? why so many post have UConn joining the BE in FB. They may do it soon because of BB, but why ??? would anyone want them in for FB? The BE already has enough weak teams. If you are going to dream, dream ND, Penn ST, or one of the better ACC schools.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:36 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

The reason why so many have UConn joining the Big East is because it's a done deal. The Big East asked all of it's non-1A members if they were interested in jumping up and joining the football league. Villanova thought about but UConn actually did it. UConn is already a Big East school, they are only waiting for their new stadium to be complete and start recruiting based on their new facilities.

It's because of the inclusion of UConn that the Big East was able to give Temple an ultimatum and finally decided to dump them. Why have a weak football-only member when you can replace them with a conference member? As of right now UConn is 5-6 while Temple is 4-7.

Also another reason is that Temple is looking at joining a conference in all sports and the Big East doesn't want them since they already have 14 members.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Big East dream conference: Since this is a dream thread, it would have been great if Georgetown, St John's and Villanova would have persued division 1 football in past years. Along with Notre Dame the following 12 team confernce would have been super. Keep in mind that this is a dream tread.

East: Boston College, Connecticut, St John's, Villanova, Virginia Tech, Miami Fla

West: Notre Dame, Syracuse, Georgetown, Rutgers, West Virginia, Pittsburgh

Actually this arrangement could sort of happen in the future, posted on Big East thread

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:27 pm 
Senior
Senior

I want to clarify why I started this thread. There have been several post by people who want to either combine the ACC and BE, or who have an idea for rearranging several conferences in order tro set up a play-off. This is sort of a multi-conference thread. I called it a dream thread because the chance of a major reshuffel involving all the major conferences is slim. It is fun to talk about though! :)

Also, I wanted to give the people who feel that their school got ripped by the BCS. If you feel that your school would go undefeated if you played Miami's schedule or FL St's, then you have a thread to say so.

Many of the comments have been great! :)

Wild thought. Eight conferences of nine schools each.
Each school has 4 home and 4 away games, and 1 non-returned (ie money) game. The last two weeks you pit the conferences head to head top to bottom with best playing best- thru worst vs worst. Each conference would have 1 home and 1 away against two to the other conferences. (2 yr rotation for home and away).
This makes the last 2 weeks of the season, the first 2 weeks of the play-off, and noone has to sit home! ;D

Enjoy
FBfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:15 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

How about...I don't know.. maybe

Clemson
South Carolina
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Tennessee
Albama
Auburn
LSU
Ole Miss
Mississippi St.
Kentucky
Florida

Last edited by tigerfan79 on Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:52 am 
Senior
Senior

Tigerfan79. Wow! You would have the all time toughest conference this side of the NFC.

You could almost combine this list with CUSA and have two conferences on par with the ACC or BE. On second thought, forget the almost. The SEC east in your senerio would have 5 good teams, and 1 decent team which is almost as many as the ACC and BE combined!

Another wild thought. Instead of combining the BE and ACC, as is currently popular on this site, reshuffel the SEC and ACC. The SEC teams need someone to beat up on and the ACC needs some power. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:39 pm 
Senior
Senior

I hope this is not to for off conference realignment? One of the major causes of frustration is that some conferences are stronger than others. Who deserves to BCS, and who doesn't?

This leads to the part of this thread that has been ignored. Smack. So here goes. Question #1 : How many of the SEC or Big 12 schools could dominate CUSA the way FT St dominates the ACC and Miami dominates the BE? #2 If they traded schedules with FL St or Miami (and therefore did not have to play them) how many could dominate the ACC or BE? #3 How many Big 10 teams could do that? #4 How many Big 12 could dominate the PAC 10 or Big 10? #5 How many SEC could dominate the Big 10? (4? 5?) #6 How many losses would OH St have if it had to play Vandy's schedule? Baylor's ?

P.S. Since dreams are the most popular part of this thread, what is yours?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:52 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

ACC

North

Maryland
Virginia
West Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake
Duke

South

Georgia Tech
NC State
NC
Clemson
FSU
Miami

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:07 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

...but I'd do the divisions like this:

ACC North
Maryland
WVU
VT
UVA
UNC
Duke

ACC South
Miami
FSU
GT
Clemson
NCSU
Wake

I think that would help balance the North a little better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next