NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:20 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 762 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:15 am 
All-Star
All-Star

NCAA D-2 MB thread discussing PSAC/Shepherd situation at http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=90790

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:25 am 
All-Star
All-Star

BGN blog article(scroll down) discussing NCAA-D-2 MEC realignment situation at https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virginia- ... umors-4-6/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Tyler reporting that as expected,UT Tyler has officially applied for NCAA D-2 membership.If accepted they will reportedly be members of the LSC.Link at https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/ut-ty ... 40960.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article from NCAA D-3 UT Dallas paper discussing possible move to D-2 at http://utdmercury.com/utd-considers-dii-move/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quote:
If accepted, UT Tyler would join UT Permian Basin in the Lone Star Conference, and UTD would apply to join the same conference if the administration decides to go through with their plans, Fitch said. Division II conferences use the practice of regionalization, where schools focus on playing other teams near them, allowing for athletes to spend less time traveling, and therefore miss less class time.

The majority of the schools in the University of Texas system compete in Division I, including Austin, El Paso, Arlington, Rio Grande Valley and San Antonio. There is a potential opportunity for UTD to move up to the highest level in the future, but that isn’t in the school’s immediate plans, Fitch said.

“We really don’t fit either of those profiles,” he said. “Ultimately, my goal would be Division I, because that’s what we most closely match up with, but the NCAA requires you to go through Division II first.”

As I’ve been saying for years, UTD is going to move up to DI, whether they add football or not is still unclear but I think we’ll eventually see all the UT schools in DI save UTPB/UTTyler who are perfect fits for DII.

Honestly they really need to have some of the DII schools move up to clear way for the upcoming merger with the heartland. The incoming schools are all at 2-6k enrollment and while that works for that level honestly Tarleton, Angelo St, A&M Commerce, and Kingsville (possibly West Texas and Texas Women too) should all be looking for a spot in DI and ideally be able to join up with UTRGV and the other Texas schools in the Southland

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Southland is the right conference for Texas schools moving to D-I, but it's getting rather over-sized.
Are some LA schools (rumored to be in financial distress) dropping out at any point ?

The D-2 Lone Star (after absorbing the Heartland) will be just short of 20 schools, too.
Might that split somehow, say between FB schools and non-FB schools ?
UT-Tyler and UT-Dallas will push the conference to 20, I think (assuming Newman goes to the MIAA).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Hazard reporting that NCAA D-2 SAC has announced the addition of UVA-Wise for 2019-20 at http://www.wymt.com/content/sports/UVa- ... 47633.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
The Southland is the right conference for Texas schools moving to D-I, but it's getting rather over-sized.
Are some LA schools (rumored to be in financial distress) dropping out at any point ?

The D-2 Lone Star (after absorbing the Heartland) will be just short of 20 schools, too.
Might that split somehow, say between FB schools and non-FB schools ?
UT-Tyler and UT-Dallas will push the conference to 20, I think (assuming Newman goes to the MIAA).

That’s what the Heartland and Lone Star were, football and non football. If anything like a split happens it will be by geography and they’ll allow one conference to sponsor football for both. The conference will go from Tulsa, Oklahoma to Laredo, Texas to Silver City, New Mexico. Adding the Heartland schools allowed the Lone a Star to fill in some of their gaps like the 350miles aka 5+ hours between Kingsville and the next closest schools before the merger. Adding St Mary’s, St Ed’s , and TAMU international immediately makes their life in the conference better. Lubbock Christian is in the middle of multiple members as is DBU. However adding Ft Smith and the two additional Oklahoma schools while turning down Newman is interesting. I think they were just giving them a temporary landing spot for a few years while they look for a new conference home or prepare to start a new conference with some future upgrades.

You got 5 schools in Arkansas in the NAIA plus 7 already in DII and 11 DII school in Oklahoma. I know football is always a big deal but at this level schools and conferences tend to be more logical.

Again I see, a few Texas schools (like TSU) looking to move up soon and others like UTTyler/UTD or Weyland Baptist/Texas College stepping in to fill their places and I think the Lone Star will eventually level out their membership with some bulk realignment from non Texas states (NM schools to RMAC? or the ARK/OKLA schools like I said above)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Hazard reporting that NCAA D-2 SAC has announced the addition of UVA-Wise for 2019-20 at http://www.wymt.com/content/sports/UVa- ... 47633.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So they’ll likely add at least 1 or the two DII independents in the state of West Virginia to fill out their numbers. Works out well for multiple reasons.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

MEC is also likely to lose shepherd (eastern WV) to replace Cheney State in the PSAC.

Frostburg State in western Maryland is looking to move up from D-3, and they're targeting the MEC.
Not sure what is going on with Salem International (WV) - a D-2 independent.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:09 am 
Junior
Junior

TKthunder wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Hazard reporting that NCAA D-2 SAC has announced the addition of UVA-Wise for 2019-20 at http://www.wymt.com/content/sports/UVa- ... 47633.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So they’ll likely add at least 1 or the two DII independents in the state of West Virginia to fill out their numbers. Works out well for multiple reasons.

Doubt the SAC will take either one. Both schools are outside of the conference's footprint. Bluefield State has joined the USCAA and seems to be content there; they've already won a championship in men's golf. My alma mater Salem U is waaaay far North of the other SAC schools, and you have to drive many many many country miles to get to Salem.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Don't know about TK, but I was referring to possibility of Salem joining the MEC.
Any likelihood of that ?
Where in WV is Salem ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Don't know about TK, but I was referring to possibility of Salem joining the MEC.
Any likelihood of that ?
Where in WV is Salem ?

Yep, should have clarified. The MEC is who I was saying could fill out their numbers with the DII independents.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:37 pm 
Junior
Junior

TKthunder wrote:
tute79 wrote:
Any likelihood of that ?
Where in WV is Salem ?

Yep, should have clarified. The MEC is who I was saying could fill out their numbers with the DII independents.

Well, i doubt that the MEC will take either school too. Neither Bluefield State nor Salem U have football. Football was the main reason that the West Virginia Conference busted up in the first place in 2013.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 762 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51